What's new

Credit card or Bill acceptors

MEP001

Reaction score
We opened with Mars acceptors in the bays more than nine years ago - water hasn't been a real issue unless someone deliberately sprays the box (which has been very rare). I've only had one go bad (and I don't think it was from water), the rest are original. They go out of service if water gets on the front sensors, but after 15 minutes or so they are working again on their own. All I've ever done to them is wipe them clean about once a month with a damp terry towel.

FWIW, about 10% of the bay income is in bills, about 30% CC.

slash007

Reaction score
Slash007 I had the same problem and kept having to send the Coinco validators back to Jim at Etowah Valley for repairs due to water damage. I finally took the advice of another wash operator and installed clear vinyl covers over the bill slot. We had some stainless steel strips made by a local machine shop which were 4" L x 3/8" W x 1/8 T. We drilled two holes in the stip and cut some pieces of heavy gauge clear vinyl (like would be on a curtain wall) at 4" x 4". Drilled two holes in the face plate just above the bill slot and attached the vinyl and SS strip with stainless screws. We have not had a bill validator failure in two years due to water damage. Cheap fix.
Sounds like a great idea. Any chance that you could send me a picture of the setup? Thanks.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
We added Etowah boxes about 4 years ago. We have had Randy service two of the four acceptors over that time. Ours are in center of bay also. I would not recommend installing acceptors far from coin boxes. Ours are side by side and bolted together--even with signage we still have some going to the changer because they did not see bill acceptor and signage.

Ted

slash007

Reaction score
We added Etowah boxes about 4 years ago. We have had Randy service two of the four acceptors over that time. Ours are in center of bay also. I would not recommend installing acceptors far from coin boxes. Ours are side by side and bolted together--even with signage we still have some going to the changer because they did not see bill acceptor and signage.

Ted
I would never separate the acceptor from the coin box, especially since I will mount the cc swiper to it. My only concern is the overspray. Will I have to worry about overspray affecting the cryptopay swiper as well? Have you had issues with water on your bill acceptors? Did you do any kind of cover mod? Thanks.

Randy

Reaction score
The coinco vantage can handle it. You'll make a lot more money. I wouldn't own a wash without bill acceptors in the bays.
You want to be careful when buying a Coinco Vantage validator. Not all Coinco Vantage validators are water resistant.

I’ve fixed a lot of Mars and Coinco bill validators that are used in Coin boxes the biggest problem is the customer who sticks the nozzle into the bill slot and pulls trigger spraying water into the validator. Once the moisture gets trapped inside and under the boards it will corrode the boards over time, primarily the lower transport board. Drilling drain holes in the lower transport helps some but not 100%.

slash007

Reaction score
You want to be careful when buying a Coinco Vantage validator. Not all Coinco Vantage validators are water resistant.

I’ve fixed a lot of Mars and Coinco bill validators that are used in Coin boxes the biggest problem is the customer who sticks the nozzle into the bill slot and pulls trigger spraying water into the validator. Once the moisture gets trapped inside and under the boards it will corrode the boards over time, primarily the lower transport board. Drilling drain holes in the lower transport helps some but not 100%.
Why would someone actually put the nozzle on the bill acceptor and spray? Are there any advantages to that other then causing damage? I like your setup with the add-on box and cryptopay and it is likely what I will end up with. Where are your coinboxes located in relation to the bay?

MEP001

Reaction score
slash007 said:
Why would someone actually put the nozzle on the bill acceptor and spray? Are there any advantages to that other then causing damage?
Remember when soda machines would get "salted" to short out the payout system so the machine would vend free sodas? I suspect some still remember that and think if they get the validator wet enough they'll get free time.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Two questions:
Earl, what cc system were you looking at that is only $250/bay?

Second, has anyone added bill acceptors to their bays and regretted it? If so, why? I like the idea especially because it gives you redundancy in case of a changer failure. However, I'm unconvinced that it will make you more money and I simply can't imagine people not trying to break into them.

slash007

Reaction score
In regards to credit card acceptance, I looked in Wash Card because of the built in loyalty program, but they want $6700 for the server, $1000 for each swiper, then you have to run ethernet cable to each bay. Cryptopay it is.

On the bill acceptors, does anyone have them set to accept $10 bills, or only $1 and $5?

MEP001

Reaction score
GoBuckeyes said:
I'm unconvinced that it will make you more money
I'm sure it makes SOME more, but I don't think it's much.

GoBuckeyes said:
I simply can't imagine people not trying to break into them.
We've had a couple of attempted break-ins but nothing successful or that cost enough to really worry about. I certainly wouldn't do it in a high-crime area.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Two questions:
Earl, what cc system were you looking at that is only $250/bay?

Second, has anyone added bill acceptors to their bays and regretted it? If so, why? I like the idea especially because it gives you redundancy in case of a changer failure. However, I'm unconvinced that it will make you more money and I simply can't imagine people not trying to break into them.
I think the $250.00 was from a 2009 Post. I just Checked the cryptopay site and the swipers are now $365.00 each and the accumulater (1 will handle I think 16 swipers but I am not usre - please check) is $365.00.

Don't regret adding bill acceptors. I think my quarter revenue dropped by 50%, replaced by bills within weeks.

Had one numb nuts trash the throat of an acceptor - still worked. Love the redundancy, love pulling out 1,5, and 10 dollar bills instead of all quarters.

No way to know if it made more money. Can't help but think that it did with the larger bills.

Bought 4 at the ica show. Within a couple of months bought 4 more. My last Combo vacs I put in Bill acceptors. Worried that people were not used to sing acceptors in vacs. The Coleman upgrade with added security cost about $1000.00. I would never buy a new combo vac without a bill acceptor. I guess you could say I was convinced.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
On the bill acceptors, does anyone have them set to accept $10 bills, or only $1 and $5?
I Take $1, $5, and $10.00.

Very few $10. Why not take them?

Occasionaly there is a complaint that they put in a bill and didn't get change.

slash007

Reaction score
I Take $1, $5, and $10.00.

I just figured that most washes would be around $5 and accepting $10 would increase the likelihood of some moron that doesn't take the time to read complain about not getting change.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
When I visit or patronize other businesses I always look to see how they:

A. Try and get the customers to take as much $ as possible from their pockets and spend it.

B. Make it as easy as possible to spend money in a variety of ways.

C. Make the experience as efficient as possible.

When in Vegas for the shows i typicaly marvel at how the hotels do all three.

When I deal with government entities I often marvel at what a bad job they do.

For our industry CC and Bill acceptance at the point of purchase (as well as coinage) falls into A-C above.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:

Seems like you answered your own question.

So far in nine years only one person expected change back from a SS bay bill acceptor. No one has ever asked for change for a $10 because a bay wouldn't take it. Yes, you'll get the occasional person who doesn't read and expects you to fix his/her mistake, and all the signage does is give you something to point at if they start yelling. But I wouldn't take $10 bills in the bay acceptors. It's extremely rare that someone will need that much time for one vehicle.

slash007

Reaction score
Seems like you answered your own question.

So far in nine years only one person expected change back from a SS bay bill acceptor. No one has ever asked for change for a $10 because a bay wouldn't take it. Yes, you'll get the occasional person who doesn't read and expects you to fix his/her mistake, and all the signage does is give you something to point at if they start yelling. But I wouldn't take $10 bills in the bay acceptors. It's extremely rare that someone will need that much time for one vehicle.
I wondered because the Etowah Valley boxes come with Mars 2612 acceptors and as far as I know, the only difference between them and the Mars 2412 is that the 2612 accepts $10 bills in addition to the $5 and $1 bills. I have been considering ordering the boxes without the bill acceptors and then just buying some used acceptors on eBay. The 2412 acceptors go for less than $100 there. Any thoughts on that approach?

slash007

Reaction score
I am going to place an order of the bill acceptor boxes tomorrow and need to decide if I want him to include the bill acceptor. Cost is $789 with the acceptor, and $275 less without. Any thoughts on which is the better way to go?