What's new

Comments regarding this carwashing "guru"?

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Ric and Bill Pitzer:

It seems to me this man has been allowed to get free advertising by getting someone to post a link to his sales pitch. Am I misreading this?

It seems to me there are well established criteria by which potential customers can evaluate these sort of pitches. Yet why hasn't the industry used them?

Here are examples: Where have reviews of the man's offerings been published?

How many and what kind of washes did he own? How successful were they?

When I look at ads for these kinds of promotions, books, seminars, consultants and so on I wonder about them.

I suspect many of these guys, I specifically think of RR & JJJ, never owned a wash of their own - - never had their own capital at risk, never knew the experience of day to day car wash ownership, Am I right?

So, could a stop be put to this stuff? At a minimum could any salesman of this stuff first have his works reviewed by an independent owner, panel of owners? Then have them publicly post how many of their books, DVD's and so on have been sold. Then references - - so much more.

Patrick H. Crowe

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I highly doubt that Ric is posting that link as anything but a question.

I signed up for it and will let you know what I find out. It didn't cost me anything for the mini course.

TheDoc

Reaction score
I don't know who he is, but when I googled his name as a "carwash guru" only the website info comes up.
Who knows how good he is.

I've been doing this stuff for customers for years and all you have to do is buy our products.

Steve "Doc Simo" Sause

Have fun!

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
The response that I got from the e-mail is that he is offering a one time deal...blah blah blah. At his special 12 month deal, you get personal coaching for your car wash for $250/month.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The site was started in Oct. He is just another guy who has collected some marketing info, well known to most people and packaged it in one of the affiliate BS programs. I trust that ric isn't trying to promote this guy. Buyer Beware.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
No, Patrick, you are wrong again. If you would take the effort and time, instead of shooting off half-cocked, you might better serve yourself.

I have several years of experience as an owner/operator of a full-service carwash. I have also owned and operated several detailing businesses (shop and mobile) and a 2-bay express lube. I have also worked as a manager for two of the larger carwash chains. I also have several years of experience as a GM factory-trained auto body repair technician and paint refinisher. I also have experience with paint-less dent removal, vinyl and trim repair, factory paint restoration, etc.

During the nine years I have been a carwash consultant, I have helped investors develop very successful car-care facilities ranging from a simple, single free-standing in-bay to Terrance Elder's 3-acre, $9 million multiple profit center in Attleboro, Mass.

I have also launched another business, pre-engineered carwash building, with one of my former clients in Manhattan, Kansas.

I also have years of experience as an environmental program manager in air quality and pollution prevention at the county level and ended my career as a public servant as one of the chief strategic planners for the Washington Council of Governments, D.C.

I also have years of experience in the manufacturing industry primarily in non-destructive metal testing and combustion instrumentation including package boiler, cooling tower operation and maintenance and water treatment.

I also completed my degrees in liberal arts and business/economics while I was employed full-time.

Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to set the record straight with regards to my background, capabilities and qualifications.

Bob Roman (RR)

P

Patrick H. Crowe

My Dear Mr. Roman, Kind Sir:

Is there any chance you were feeling just a tad defensive when you posted all the information about yourself? How did you know I was referring to youas RR? Had you asked me if I was referring to you first, then your message would have had more meaning. You did not. For your information I had an office mate at Johnson County Community College (where I taught math) whose name ws Robert Ramsey. He often used RR. Could I have possibly meant a former politician?

Yet the evidence of your defensiveness goes so far beyond your assumption that I meant you. I believe it offers insight for the readers. I'll limit myself to two spacific examples due to space limitations. Here they are:

EXAMPLE ONE OF DEFENSIVE ATTITUDE: You tell us you earned your degrees "while employed full time". Of course you are 100% free to note that. Why? Had you simply stated clearly checkable facts then the defensiveness would be removed. Please do so now. My undergraduate degree is from (name the institution, tell us the major). My graduate (Masters or Ph.D?) is from (name the institution). These are checkable facts and show zero defensiveness in my view. Whether you were employed (as so many folks are/were) while earning the degrees is off point and defensive, isn't it?

EXAMPLE TWO OF DEFENSIVE ATTITUDE: Had you told us how many copies of your books have been sold and given us references to the reviews of them (if any) then we could each judge you by what you have written. As you must know my book has been reviewed on this forum. Moreover I have offered a (free of course) review copy to any person who will read it and write a review. In addition it has been reviewd elsewhere. I stand by my written works. Please tell us the facts about yours, please send out review copies so folks can judge you by your actual work instead of reading a defensive monologue.

As the Brits say, "keep calm and carry on".

Respectfully,

Patrick H. Crowe

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Dear Ric and Bill Pitzer:

It seems to me this man has been allowed to get free advertising by getting someone to post a link to his sales pitch. Am I misreading this?

It seems to me there are well established criteria by which potential customers can evaluate these sort of pitches. Yet why hasn't the industry used them?

Here are examples: Where have reviews of the man's offerings been published?

How many and what kind of washes did he own? How successful were they?

When I look at ads for these kinds of promotions, books, seminars, consultants and so on I wonder about them.

I suspect many of these guys, I specifically think of RR & JJJ, never owned a wash of their own - - never had their own capital at risk, never knew the experience of day to day car wash ownership, Am I right?

So, could a stop be put to this stuff? At a minimum could any salesman of this stuff first have his works reviewed by an independent owner, panel of owners? Then have them publicly post how many of their books, DVD's and so on have been sold. Then references - - so much more.

Patrick H. Crowe
Yes, you are misreading this.

I am simply trying to gather useful information from members of this forum based on their experiences within this industry. That's the reason I utilize this forum.

I appreciate the efforts Bill puts forth in maintaining this site and I appreciate what I have learned here from the responses of most members.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Ric:

Did you submit your e-mail addy? I almost fell out of my chair when I read that his special was $250/month. He better show me how to find the golden goose :)

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Ric:

Did you submit your e-mail addy? I almost fell out of my chair when I read that his special was $250/month. He better show me how to find the golden goose :)
No, I did not. I was just curious what the "catch" was.

easywash

Reaction score
It just takes one idea that works...

I haven't ordered it yet but I am always looking for new ideas and at $250 it's cheap.... If you got one good marketing idea and actually implemented it you could pay for the package in a day.

From looking at the "Guru's" website and emails he does know what he's talking about with marketing. Looking at his style I would say he's likely a student of Dan Kennedy who is one of the best direct marketers alive today.

I'll pick up a copy in the next couple of weeks and give you a review :)

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Easywash:

We have very different definitions of cheap. Unless I am mistaken the man's fee is $250 a month, right? Allow me to make my case about cheap.

One of my 30 Self-service Car Wash Technical Bulletins offers the reader 15 ways to promote a self-serve. Almost all stress publicity which is free or nearly free. A person can buy all 30 bulletins for less than $1.50 each. That's over 150 pages on multiple topics. Moreover I'll send an absolutely free review copy to anyone who will read them, or any one of them and post a review of them (it). Many thousands of copies have been sold. All have been sold on a money back basis. Less than one in a thousand have ever been returned despite my 100% guarantee of satisfaction.

There's cheap backed with a proven track record. $250 (a month?). Cheap? Not to me!

You can see all the topics at: carwashappraisal.com.

Patrick H. Crowe

TheDoc

Reaction score
Easywash,

I guess I'm not that smart. I've spent years educating operators of carwashes on how to earn more money with a variety of services, marketing, signage, whatever!
The only "hook" was that you had to be a customer of the company I work for.
We've helped 100's of operators make tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars with on-line and off-liner services, with a healthy chunk hitting the bottom line!

You can send me $199.00 a month and I'll call you every week with great ideas that work!

Just having fun!

Steve "Doc Simo" Sause

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Waxman:

Please email me (pcrowe@juno.com) with a snail mail address so I can send you all 30 bulletins. I'm confused by PM me. Please translate.

Patrick H. Crowe

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Waxman:

Thanks for the info on PM. All 30 bulletins are on the way to you for review.

Do you think easywash was kidding about another marketing setup when he stated that if for $250 you got one good marketing idea then the cost was cheap. The 15 promotional ideas in my bulletins cost less than a dime each - - that's CHEAP.

Patrick H. Crowe, www.carwashappraisal.com

Etowah