What's new

Classified Ads...

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Basically my post about Craigslist was aimed at how to do the classifieds...Create a "Classifieds" section on the forum like the "Self Serve" section and other sections, and let us post items for sale there. When you post something for sale, it will be a seperate thread, and anybody can post questions about what you have for sale. Once the item is sold, the original "Thread Starter" can go in and post items "Sold"...Then the sold and old threads will move down the list and only the newer threads will be towards the top.

For the businesses paying for advertising, thats what the rotating banners are for...Sometimes you have to give away a little "Free Stuff" to get the traffic to make the "Paying Customers" want to pay for advertising...

I like the thoughts of having a "Classifieds" section....If the Script that runs this site is like others, and if the Owner worry's about space on the server...Maybe he could run a script to delete all old threads/posts 60 days old in the classifieds section...Just some thoughts since I'm familiar with running scripts such as the one that runs this site...

JacksonV

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good ideas - we're working on them. :)

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
FYI.. In 2004 I created a "Classmates" Message Board for the school where I graduated. It used the SMF (Simple Machines Forum) PHP programming...I'm sure it is very much like the vBulletin Program used to power this site. Here is a link to my site (I've since let the Domain run out) but you can still get to it thru a sub domain. It was heavily used (with over 900 members and over 14,000 posts) until Facebook came along...

http://georgetownclassmates.bcoweb.com/index.php

I also incorporated a "Classifieds" Section. It contained Sub Categories off the main Classifieds Category. Yours may not need to be as elaborate or have as many sub-categories, since this is just for carwash stuff. You also might be carefull about opening it up to "Other" stuff. You'll have people joining just to list things for sale...Something to consider...

If you need any help with this, let me know...

pitzerwm

Reaction score
God, 2Biz, you missed the boat, this how Mark Zugerburge(sp) got Facebook started.

Great job.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I've got misc stuff that is still good, but useless to me for whatever reason. I'm sure some other carwasher could make good use of them for $20-$30 bucks plus shipping, but I'm not going to place an add for these small $$ parts for $10 a month. I'll just keep sitting on them.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Put them on ebay. I sell stuff there and find a deal every now and then as well.
I could, and have used Ebay in the past. Just thought it would benefit this forum to be able to list lower value items for free here. I think it would increase traffic.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
God, 2Biz, you missed the boat, this how Mark Zugerburge(sp) got Facebook started.

Great job.
It wasn't for the lack of trying! Then I settled on buying a carwash as my "Get Rich Quick Scheme"! Missed the boat again! :D

Twodose

Reaction score
Also, I notice that most of the major websites update their webpages on the first of the year.

Adding that they hope you enjoy the updated design.

They are constantly adding or completely changing the look to keep people interested.

Adding new features etc.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
I think it would be nice to have the Classified section placed on the front page so as you are reading the different sections such as automatic, self-serve, classified etc. it would get more attention.

mmurra

Reaction score
I am in the indoor tanning business as well. 'There are two industry forum websites. Both industry forums have well developed, free classified sections which add great value to the sites and are actively used. Mark

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I fly radio control Airplanes and Heli's....I belong to at least 6-8 RC forums, which all have a classifieds section (Free to its members). Paid advertising is done by rotating banners strategically placed throughout the site...

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
I fly radio control Airplanes and Heli's....I belong to at least 6-8 RC forums, which all have a classifieds section (Free to its members). Paid advertising is done by rotating banners strategically placed throughout the site...
I've got a couple of Jeeps and am on the Wrangler forum. They do the same except no rotating banners. It is huge! also free to members!

mac

Reaction score
I am having mixed feelings about this. As a consumer I love freebies. But as a business owner, the love fades away for freebies. I can only "give" stuff away if people spend a decent sum of money with my company. I swear taht there are some people who think I do this as some type religious thing to make people feel better.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I guess nothing ever happened with this. I am trying to sell (or throw in dumpster) a bunch of stuff that others might be able to use. I also tried to post a very vague thread about selling my dog wash bays that I believe got censored yesterday. The classifieds should be a free service to drive traffic to the site. I have studied internet marketing vigorously and it has shown me that traffic is everything. The car wash owners provide a great service to this site... content. They should get something in return for their content. A place to sell their used equipment!

JacksonV

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Buzzie8 - I appreciate your input and completely agree with you. Please be patient as we are in the process of redesigning the site and are waiting until then to implement this feature - should be within a month or so.

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
I guess nothing ever happened with this. I am trying to sell (or throw in dumpster) a bunch of stuff that others might be able to use. I also tried to post a very vague thread about selling my dog wash bays that I believe got censored yesterday. The classifieds should be a free service to drive traffic to the site. I have studied internet marketing vigorously and it has shown me that traffic is everything. The car wash owners provide a great service to this site... content. They should get something in return for their content. A place to sell their used equipment!
Every time I have cleaned out some used parts/motors etc I usually find within a month that I or somebody else needed it....so I bought a bigger warehouse and I don't do that anymore! It's amazing what you accumulate over the years. Drives my wife nuts, but my employees can always find the part that they need!