What's new

Charcoal RO Pre-Filter Transition

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Hopefully someone here can somewhat verify that I am choosing the proper backflush Carbon Pre Filter with the best quality automatic controls. I was hoping I could order an acceptable "Turnkey Carbon Pre-filter Portion" of a car wash 4"x40" membrane RO-Spot Free System from KR along with a "free shipping" large order. I am not seeing it on KR ... so anyone care to VERIFY that the system below is within a proper price range & brand reliability???

MEP001

Reaction score
What exactly are you asking? Are you wanting a complete RO system or just a carbon prefilter? Are you replacing both your RO system and prefilter? Is there some reason you can't CALL Kleen-Rite and ask if they have a prefilter properly sized to the RO system? Are you expecting to get a prefilter FULLY ASSEMBLED from Amazon as the listing indicates and expect it to stay upright the entire trip, and are you aware that if it doesn't, it will ruin the carbon bed and possibly the entire unit?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Back in 1987 Specialty Equip installed a complete RO-Spot Free system ... but with a CA membrane (a hyper chlorine sensitivity problem). We followed with a pH reducing Acid System. Now we are going to transition to a TFC membrane to avoid unnecessary extra expense of the 4"x40" CA membrane. The one below & the Amazon one seems to be "turnkey enough for us". Does anyone recommend the Fleck 5600sxt over the Fleck 5600 on the Amazon one. I do not see a reason to replace the whole RO-Repressurizing Spot Free system at this point in time.

How about the following?:

MEP001

Reaction score
The repressurizing side is what pumps the water to the bays.

I would go with the Amazon system as it's simpler and you can set it to flush every 6 days. I show a price of $569 and free shipping since I'm a Prime member. The Centaur unit indicates that it ships unassembled.

Kleen-Rite has one with no head/no flush system, just inlet & outlet, $435.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would at least get a price from wood brothers on a 1 or 2 cu ft system. That fleck head should be fine. Don't sweat the backwash too much. I've got one system with no backwash head and another that's been unplugged for Years. I still get several Years out of membranes.

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
Fleck valves work fine when they are new, but they are a pain in the neck when it comes to maintenance. We much prefer Clack valves.

Russ