What's new

Cat 310 pump Motor

Etowah

mcarter1990

Reaction score
I installed the repaired motor and everything worked great. I was able to trade the 3450 rpm motor for a 1750 motor. So I got a backup.

So I have a question for the group: The Cat 310 motor looks like it has no oil in it. How much does it hold and what kind do I use? Do I change the oil regularly?

Randy

Reaction score
I installed the repaired motor and everything worked great. I was able to trade the 3450 rpm motor for a 1750 motor. So I got a backup.

So I have a question for the group: The Cat 310 motor looks like it has no oil in it. How much does it hold and what kind do I use? Do I change the oil regularly?
The motor that drives the Cat 310 doesn’t have oil in it. The crank case of the Cat 310 pump should have Cat Pump oil, 30wt non-detergent oil or ISO - 68 turbine oil in it.

mcarter1990

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the sight glass location on the Cat 310 motor?

MEP001

Reaction score
If it's the pump you're talking about, you've seen the sight glass in the above picture, so you know where to find it now. If you can't see oil in it, it could be overfilled, low, or the glass is dirty. Now would be a good time to change the oil. A lot of us have used ND30wt non-detergent motor oil and haven't had any problems, or if you want to save a few bucks and use something that's almost identical to real Cat pump oil, go to Tractor Supply and get a 2-gallon jug of ISO68 hydraulic oil. Once you drain the old oil, take the sight glass out and clean it. I use my Leatherman in the divots and unscrew it, or you can use a screwdriver and a small hammer to tap it loose. Clean the inside of the glass and reinstall it, then refill the pump so the oil level is at the center of the red dot if the top of the pump pulley turns toward you, or the top of the red dot if the top of the pulley turns away from you.

mcarter1990

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion as to the motor/pump.

Thanks for your help everyone.

MEP001

Reaction score
Do I change the oil regularly?
I missed answering this one. Cat recommends changing the oil every 500 operating hours or six months. I try to do it at least every couple years. It's much more important to keep oil in the pumps by fixing any oil leaks right away.

mcarter1990

Reaction score
I got all the pumps functioning last night. Big relief. Now on to the clogged lines.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
The wash has been closed for about 3 yrs and I am just now starting to get the mechanical room functioning. I replaced the contactors on both motors one works the other fried. I am hoping to get it open by Thanksgiving. I hope....
When we did a major rebuild back in 1987 ... one of the best things (maintenance wise) we did ... was have the utility company provide us with 3 phase power along with going to 3 phase 3HP motors for our Cat 310s.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
If it's the pump you're talking about, you've seen the sight glass in the above picture, so you know where to find it now. If you can't see oil in it, it could be overfilled, low, or the glass is dirty. Now would be a good time to change the oil. A lot of us have used ND30wt non-detergent motor oil and haven't had any problems, or if you want to save a few bucks and use something that's almost identical to real Cat pump oil, go to Tractor Supply and get a 2-gallon jug of ISO68 hydraulic oil. Once you drain the old oil, take the sight glass out and clean it. I use my Leatherman in the divots and unscrew it, or you can use a screwdriver and a small hammer to tap it loose. Clean the inside of the glass and reinstall it, then refill the pump so the oil level is at the center of the red dot if the top of the pump pulley turns toward you, or the top of the red dot if the top of the pulley turns away from you.
Thank you MEP001!! I didn't know I could remove the sight glass & clean it! :)

mcarter1990

Reaction score
The boom lines were galvanized 1/4" pipe that were rusted solid. We replaced them with hoses. Much better. Now on to soap, wax, tire cleaner selections. This site has been very helpful.

Knight01

Reaction score
MEP, you mention ISO 68, my local rural king has something called AW-68 hydraulic oil. I would presume it is the same thing just a different brand? Any thoughts?

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score