What's new

Carwash Closings

lb60605

Reaction score
I am in Illinois and have in-bay automatics and detail bays. Detail bays shut down, carwash still open and we have been washing cars
getting decent numbers considersing the covid-19.

mac

Reaction score
Well let me stir the pot a little. First, does anyone remember Swine Flu? Killed many, many more people and infected many more than this current thing. There were no mass closings and stay at home orders. Millions did not lose their income. So what's the difference you ask. Well Obama was president then and the press just adored him. Wouldn't be fair to criticize him now would it? The press now literally hates Trump. They and the democrats, and many republicans want him out this next election. They know none of their candidates can beat hi. So they are hell bent on destroying the economy in hopes it will cause him to loose. Yes people are dying from this, but not in the numbers of previous illnesses. Think about it.

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
Just had a state trooper visit one of my washes in Maryland, and shut it down. I can not find a thing on the MD websites that specifically list car washes as non-essential. And of course the office could not email it to me. So I have to leave my quarantine at home to go 45 minutes away to get it.

I will pass along later, after I have retrieved it, with regards to the specific wording. I guess the gov't wont't be happy til everyone is out of business.
We have a single, unattended IBA in South Texas. I have written to the State, City Mgr. and County Commissioner asking for confirmation that we are an Essential Business. So far, have received no response from any of them. Intend to stay open until otherwise instructed. We have turned off our vacuums.

water guy

Reaction score
Well let me stir the pot a little. First, does anyone remember Swine Flu? Killed many, many more people and infected many more than this current thing. There were no mass closings and stay at home orders. Millions did not lose their income. So what's the difference you ask. Well Obama was president then and the press just adored him. Wouldn't be fair to criticize him now would it? The press now literally hates Trump. They and the democrats, and many republicans want him out this next election. They know none of their candidates can beat hi. So they are hell bent on destroying the economy in hopes it will cause him to loose. Yes people are dying from this, but not in the numbers of previous illnesses. Think about it.
[/QUOT YOUR EXACTLY RIGHT!!

lb60605

Reaction score
Carwash forum IS NOT a forum for political views. It is for car wash talk and information. Lets keep our political views to ourselves!!! We
are all business people with the SAME issues of concern for businesses going forward. WE care about our family, employees and customers.
The platform for our busines today and in the future!

traveler17

Reaction score
Yea--in Delaware I am ok and still open at three locations. The incident today was in Maryland.
agreed!!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Mac & others,

Based on the below link ... it sounds like the current still costly HIV & its human behavior relationship could at some point be treated differently by mainstream media & celebrities??? Hopefully, the death toll & duration of this Covid-19 will be kept to lower than their projections vs the swine flu exceeding their projections by 10x??? Leadership, communication along with proper support does make a difference!

I am hoping for a silver lining somewhere from this crisis to help humankind for the long term future.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Swine flu infected way more people than Covid 19 but Covid will have a much higher mortality rate.

washnvac

Reaction score
I emailed the Mid-Atlantic Car Wash Association today. They replied that indeed, troopers were shutting down car washes in Maryland. I did get my application in to the payroll protection plan tonight. That will certainly help, if I get it. This saga has a ways to go, though.

If anyone else is in Maryland, have they got to you yet?

water guy

Reaction score
Carwash forum IS NOT a forum for political views. It is for car wash talk and information. Lets keep our political views to ourselves!!! We
are all business people with the SAME issues of concern for businesses going forward. WE care about our family, employees and customers.
The platform for our busines today and in the future!
Where the heck are you from?

Last edited:

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
One thing to think about with these arbitrary closing of some washes by the govt, is that most states have something called an "unfair business practices" statute. Basically it states that govt cannot favor one business over another.

I recommend you guys become familiar with the statute especially in you are forced to close your wash, but your competitor is allowed to stay open.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score

I'm confused by even the mentioning of this... The ENTIRE world is in the same boat right now. Stay home requirements, governmental lockdowns, business shutdowns... All because of the virulence and contagiousness are calculated to overwhelm the medical industry WORLDWIDE. I don't think Italy did what it did because they hate Trump. I think they (and every other relevant country) reacted because they were staggered at the mortality rate of COVID-19 compared to H1N1 at 0.001 percent to 0.007 percent. Turning a 'natural disasters' (let's not argue that please) and other events into political divisiveness IS THE #1 THING that is bringing this country to it's knees. And rivals like Russia and China know this very well. I will do my part to NOT help them out.

Last edited:

washnvac

Reaction score
Actually, everyone is not in the same boat right now. Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and others are going to have staggering sales this quarter since they can stay open. The correct way to get this would have been to shut EVERYTHING down for 15 days. Yes this would have been more painful at the moment, but we would be coming out of that 15 day period right now and getting back on track. Instead, cases are still rising at a rapid pace. This in turn is forcing more closures, and extending the closures for the initial folks that were already shut down.

Delaware is on "stay at home" order. Yet, on Sunday the Lowes in my town was packed with people. They were not getting essentials; they were getting mulch, plants, outdoor equipment, etc. Folks are not taking this seriously, and it is just prolonging the disaster. At this pace, there is no way the government can "buy" us out of it. Countless small business will not survive, destroying many years of hard work and livelihoods.

The small business may face extinction because of this.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
When I mentioned that, I was speaking about the whole world in a National and global scale - not economically in a business to business scale. Obviously, there will be winners and losers coming out of this economically. Government is here to say they will save the day and help put people's minds at ease to slow panic, but anyone that believes they can solve any of this is in for a surprise I think.

This is when those that listened to their farmer grandparents and kept 6 months of expenses saved up 'just in case' might have a chance. This event is a perfect event to apply 'game theory'... Some that risk infection may die. Some may get ahead economically. Some may infect others who die while getting ahead economically. Some might stay at home and get the virus from the grocery store. Some might stay home and go broke, some will continue to work and will actually make more money than normal due to government handouts. Some will make more money on unemployment that they did while working even. But one thing has always rang true: those who can adapt under pressure will be the ones that survive - or even the ones to proliferate.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
When I mentioned that, I was speaking about the whole world in a National and global scale - not economically in a business to business scale. Obviously, there will be winners and losers coming out of this economically. Government is here to say they will save the day and help put people's minds at ease to slow panic, but anyone that believes they can solve any of this is in for a surprise I think.
That's where I'm at. I'm looking at the government as one of two things. The first is that the government is simply incompetent and has no idea what they're doing. The second is that they're simply manipulating the crisis to benefit themselves.

Look at the projections. Originally up to 2.2 million people. Then around 250,000. Now we're hovering around 60,000. So the government is manipulating the numbers to make themselves look good. So 2.2 million and even 250,000 were far fetched. Or the government has no clue what it's doing with is projections.

If the numbers end up being higher, I know the government spin would've been, "People didn't follow the protocol."

Then there's the CDC saying not to wear masks but then doing a 180 on that.

Etowah

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Actually, everyone is not in the same boat right now. Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and others are going to have staggering sales this quarter since they can stay open. The correct way to get this would have been to shut EVERYTHING down for 15 days. Yes this would have been more painful at the moment, but we would be coming out of that 15 day period right now and getting back on track. Instead, cases are still rising at a rapid pace. This in turn is forcing more closures, and extending the closures for the initial folks that were already shut down.

Delaware is on "stay at home" order. Yet, on Sunday the Lowes in my town was packed with people. They were not getting essentials; they were getting mulch, plants, outdoor equipment, etc. Folks are not taking this seriously, and it is just prolonging the disaster. At this pace, there is no way the government can "buy" us out of it. Countless small business will not survive, destroying many years of hard work and livelihoods.

The small business may face extinction because of this.
Northern Italy has been on complete lockdown for longer than that with no end in sight. Although the daily deaths and new cases are going down, they're still significant and nowhere near getting right back on track.

The only answer to this is we develop the herd immunity to it or if a vaccine is developed. I'd be hesitant to take any vaccine that was rushed to the market only to placate the masses.

KleanRide

Reaction score
If the numbers end up being higher, I know the government spin would've been, "People didn't follow the protocol."
And think of all of the pundits who will line up to take credit for closures and lockdowns when the death/infection toll ends up being less than projected.

washnvac

Reaction score
When I mentioned that, I was speaking about the whole world in a National and global scale - not economically in a business to business scale.
Yea, I know what you meant. I was just venting some serious frustration right now. I have friends in the restaurant biz and they are getting crushed, while other places are open just as normal. I guess nobody said life was fair....

Overachiever

Reaction score
Anyone in IL receive anything or hear anything about needing to close down their vacs and self service bays? I'd say half of the car washes in my area have received cease and desist letters and had to close... the other half are still open and haven't received anything.