What's new

Carwash Closings

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have employees, but I'm under the impression that if the stimulus package is passed as is, you could get a loan from an SBA cooperating bank. It would be 3.75% fixed for 30 years, and certain covered expenses would be FORGIVEN from the loan. It could get paid off at anytime. The idea is to incentivise employers to keep employees on payroll even though work is temporarily slow to prevent the massive unemployment surge. From what I have read, you would be 'discounted' on the amount forgiven by how many 'full time equivalent' employees left the company during this plague. I also hear that some (half?) of the payroll tax could be kept as incentive also. And for those that "pay themselves as an employee," I don't think there is a distinction - as you are obviously a required part of an essential business.

Anyone looking into this?

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Until it is signed into law and the SBA provides guidance on how it works it’s a guessing game.

Sloburban

Reaction score
Just an update I received an email back from COVID19FAQ@DELAWARE.GOV in response to my ability to legally stay open.

"Car Washes are included under automotive repair and maintenance and are considered essential businesses"

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Tunnels/EE closed in our area. Iba and self serves open but everyone has closed vac islands. Traffic maybe 2/3 normal.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Finally got written confirmation from the city. Traffic has been good after rain every day last week.

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

Yes, you are correct Car Washes (if it's maintenance of the vehicle) are still able to operate and can choose to remain open.

For additional information, please visit our Metro Health page: https://www.sanantonio.gov/Health/News/Alerts/CoronaVirus#281783827-faq

Best,

Metro Health

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have employees, but I'm under the impression that if the stimulus package is passed as is, you could get a loan from an SBA cooperating bank. It would be 3.75% fixed for 30 years, and certain covered expenses would be FORGIVEN from the loan. It could get paid off at anytime. The idea is to incentivise employers to keep employees on payroll even though work is temporarily slow to prevent the massive unemployment surge. From what I have read, you would be 'discounted' on the amount forgiven by how many 'full time equivalent' employees left the company during this plague. I also hear that some (half?) of the payroll tax could be kept as incentive also. And for those that "pay themselves as an employee," I don't think there is a distinction - as you are obviously a required part of an essential business.

Anyone looking into this?
This is my plan. I told my employees that even though business is way, way down, we will staff normally and they will get paid normally.

I hope the loans actually come through they way they are promised. And soon.

soapy

Reaction score
Just my son and me running the washes. The second day of our 21 day self quarantine the washes have been very busy which surprises me.

Randy

Reaction score
I was going to close my car wash but decided to stay open. We are down about 90% from 2 weeks ago. All the tunnel car washes are closed. Most operators have shut down there vacuums. Traffic on the roads is about 1/3 of what it normally is. Since the Governor of Washington imposed a 2 week shutdown order he hinted yesterday that he might extend it longer than 2 weeks. A friend of mine who’s with state emergency services told me that this shut down could go a lot longer, 8 to 10 weeks. The bank I bank at closed the lobby on Monday and today they closed my branch temporally until this is all over and consolidated it with another branch.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Some of the govt backed loans have reasonable terms with some forgiveness for keeping employees. Your banks should have details by Wednesday. Good luck everyone!

MEP001

Reaction score
My guess would be contamination of the hoses and the dispersal of infection from the exhaust. I can't do anything about the latter, but right now I'm removing and washing the hoses every day.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I did about 30% of what I normally do on a Saturday after a week where we had rain. At least I'm paying the bills.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
My guess would be contamination of the hoses and the dispersal of infection from the exhaust. I can't do anything about the latter, but right now I'm removing and washing the hoses every day.
Why don't you spray it down with a mild bleach solution along with spraying a little while the Vac is running? From what I read, bleach cuts through the fat layer of the virus faster than soap does.

MEP001

Reaction score
Why don't you spray it down with a mild bleach solution along with spraying a little while the Vac is running? From what I read, bleach cuts through the fat layer of the virus faster than soap does.
I do spray the hoses with bleach. It would cause the motors to rust.

Randy

Reaction score
I think you guys are going a little bit overboard with spraying everything with bleach. As soon as someone touches it its possibly contamination. All of our car washes are open and the vac's are running, pretty much business as normal. Only problem is there aren't many customers.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm only doing it so I can say I'm doing what I can to protect customers. I'm also going to install a small sink and a hand soap dispenser.

Randy

Reaction score
I'm only doing it so I can say I'm doing what I can to protect customers. I'm also going to install a small sink and a hand soap dispenser.
I'm not going to anything extra at the car wash and I'm dam sure not going to be hanging out at car wash for any longer than we have to. We were there for 40 mintues this morning that was enough to get it cleaned up and get out of there.

Eric H

Reaction score
Randy, at your age (with all due respect) I wouldn't be going anywhere unnecessarily! I closed my washes because I don't think I can adequately protect myself or my customers.