What's new

Carwash Closings

KleanRide

Reaction score
A big full service near me is closed until April 3rd but I think it was by choice. Haven’t heard of any forced closings.

srr5008

Reaction score
I'm in PA. Our Governor just mandated that all "non-life sustaining" businesses must be closed by 12:01 Saturday morning. Failure to comply can result in citations, fines, and revocation of license to operate a business in the state. Needless to say we are closing today (and not happy about it).

water guy

Reaction score
So far good in Texas but seems to be changing daily if not hourly.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Also in PA, also closed this morning.

My closing checklist (what did I miss??)
- put up "closed banners" across all bays
- turned off most breakers; only security alarm and cameras are on, plus a few lights. And modem.
- removed trash can lids & covered with plywood
- blew out the lines
- reduced lighting to 1 bulb per bay + a couple security lights
- removed all cash ($4 from yesterday, woo-hoo!)
- removed all tools & anything else of any value

I did not turn off the water main, wondering if I should.
I did not empty items out of the vending machines, wondering if I should.

washallday

Reaction score
It makes no sense to make business close then let everyone travel where ever they want. I talked to several people that lost their jobs and plan on taking a trip out of state to either see someone, fishing or vacation. This is only prolong the closures of business. Pull the trigger PA and mandate people to stay home

Eric H

Reaction score
I haven't closed anything but I do plan to put laminated signs on EVERYTHING that state "All cash has been removed from this machine and there is NO CASH ON THIS PROPERTY. All Alarms and Video Cameras are on". After typing that out and reading it I think I need to reduce it to "There is NO CASH ON THIS PROPERTY" and some separate signs that say "Property protected by Video and Alarm". Maybe some on the perimeter that say "NO TRESPASSING! Business is closed".
Well, this just turned into more work than i originally thought :mad:

MudMoney

Reaction score
Business as usual,just slower.Farmers and ranchers still washing.There are 2 indian rezs close to me that the residents have chose not to come to town.All fast food and other food places are carry-out now.Good time for maintenance issues. On the 15th of march I was flying out of Lima Peru in the am when the president of Peru shut down the border several hours later. That was a close call,was already 2 weeks there and ready to come home.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Before you close get a hold of the copy of the order. The wording may or may not have language that follows the DHS guidelines . Some of them exempt GAs Stations, Auto repair shops............. and "Related Facilities. " You could claim the car wash is related until some official says otherwise.

Sloburban

Reaction score
Delaware Governor just closed non essential businesses.

My NAIC doesn't match any numbers on the list of industry classifications that denote which businesses can continue operation.

I just emailed COVID19FAQ@DELAWARE.GOV for clarification last night but so far only an automatic response "received".

So I guess I'm closed until further notice.

All construction companies are permitted to stay open so maybe I'll take the time for repairs.

JacksonV

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They closed all "non-essential" businesses in Nashville. Among the business types listed as "essential" and allowed to stay open are "laundromats/laundry/cleaning services." Might that include car washes needed to clean cars used by contagious drivers?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Yesterday was ok. Our governor hasn't said anything other than making a statement stating if employees do not work closer than 6 feet from one another during any part of their work hours these businesses can remain open.

With that said, I'm going to throttle the hours on my employees in anticipation of this worsening. One morning and one afternoon shift of 90 minutes.

Sloburban

Reaction score
They closed all "non-essential" businesses in Nashville. Among the business types listed as "essential" and allowed to stay open are "laundromats/laundry/cleaning services." Might that include car washes needed to clean cars used by contagious drivers?
That's a great question.

Here's the email I sent to COVID19FAQ@DELAWARE.GOV

We are inquiring about our ability to stay open as an essential business. We keep windshields, side glass, mirrors and headlights clean for an unobstructed view giving safety to the driver, other drivers on the road and especially pedestrians. This is particularly important at night to avoid a blinding glare from oncoming vehicles. Our customers never leave their vehicle during the whole wash process. Thank you for your consideration

I get wet, turn wrenches, melt steel and basically stay greasy I'm not a writer!

Sloburban

Reaction score
Also in PA, also closed this morning.

My closing checklist (what did I miss??)
- put up "closed banners" across all bays
- turned off most breakers; only security alarm and cameras are on, plus a few lights. And modem.
- removed trash can lids & covered with plywood
- blew out the lines
- reduced lighting to 1 bulb per bay + a couple security lights
- removed all cash ($4 from yesterday, woo-hoo!)
- removed all tools & anything else of any value

I did not turn off the water main, wondering if I should.
I did not empty items out of the vending machines, wondering if I should.

I think I'm going to turn my water main off just in case. I don't want a hydrominder to malfunction and not only waste water and get everything wet, including motors, motor starters etc. but I don't want to accidentally suck my chemicals dry.

MEP001

Reaction score
Make sure you turn off your RO system, you don't want it coming on with no water supply. Ideally it shouldn't without any use, but things happen. Really any pump that can run on its own should be powered off.

Sloburban

Reaction score
Certainly appreciate any advise but I don't have an RO

Powering off all equipment also is a great idea too.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Looks like our shelter in place order is being drafted. I'm seriously considering just staying open and taking a chance that the city enforcement will have bigger to fish to fry than an un-attended car wash.

With all of the vagrancy that I deal with I'm not real fired up about shutting down and inviting all of the crap that will inevitably occur.

In fact, I could probably argue that a few folks a day washing their cars 16 feet apart will spread fewer microbes than roaming packs of hyenas slobbering all over my garbage.

bert79

Reaction score
Here in MI we just shut down the wash. The order by the governor is for 3 weeks. All non essential businesses must close. Also all non essential travel is prohibited as well as non essential gatherings.