What's new

Car Wash Show Vegas Apr 23-25.... Worth while to go!???

Mach1

Reaction score
Who's going? Who's been before?

Is it worth the $1500 investment to go or will I learn the same or more by just reading this forum for 3 days straight haha!!??

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Since 1999, I've been every year but 2000 & 2014. I think it is worth it, especially when I was planning on something new. It's nice putting faces to the many names and voices on the phone. I have made some very good friends and forum and show goers are usually more "in the know". Not to mention, you sneak up on a deal every now and then because you "know a guy". As close as you are, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Besides, you can join us for dinner next thursday.

Stuart

Reaction score
I have not been for 4 years. I have been to the ICA convention only 5 times since 1981. Last I went I was very disappointed in the info seminars and round tables for SS.
The ones we had back in the 90's were so much more informative and beneficial to me and have gone down hill since. We would have so much info coming from soooo many operators.
Even our regional sessions gave very little benefit to me. I don't belong to either Association now.

That is not to say not to go to the show. The product show can be very interesting and informative. Talk to these people even though you may not use their product. There is so much to see and so many people to talk too especially wash operators. This is where I think you will learn an abundance of info.

Expect to be a little overwhelmed if this is your first time. If you are looking for something specific I suggest to make some notes on what you want to find and start seeking it out early or you will get sidetracked. There is so much ground to cover so wear your most comfortable footwear.
I am sure there are other operators who have a very different perspective on this so take this for what it is worth. Good Luck

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I'm supposed to go into contract on my first car wash, so I'm planning on being there.

Where are you coming up with the $1500 price?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Depending on the package, the show will cost $2-400. Throw in a few nights in a Vegas hotel, meals, possibly air-fare, and you're there.

I agree that the educational sessions the last few years have left a lot to be desired and I have set foot in very few recently. I saw several that interested me this year so I sprung for the package that included the sessions.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
True. I'm driving down solo and eat light. Wife is going to FL with the kids and nanny.:cool:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think for a new operator the Show is a great place to see what is out there if you can cut through all the bull$hit and spend some time with what interests you or applies to your wash. The seminars have really gone down hill with many presenters not even active in the industry offering more philosophical thoughts than realistic information or from successful chain operations that have little in common with the single owner. I think occasionally going for experienced operators is also probably a good thing as well. That being said the well attended regionals can be almost as good without all the trappings and cost of the ICA Show.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Pilgrimage to ICA carwash show for “new-to-industry” person is similar to Christian taking pilgrimage to Israel for first time.

Is it worth it?

First time attendees usually find it’s worth the experience. If the wife likes to wager, night life, shopping and sightseeing, you will be a hero.

Otherwise, benefit cost of show (sessions, expo floor) depends on who you are.

I’m a consultant. I go for only one day to walk expo floor, examine equipment and ask pointed questions.

Today the show sessions have more to offer to petroleum sites and chains, conveyor developers, folks involved in mergers and acquisitions because that is where the action is.

There is much less for self-serve and detailers.

Another reason show has evolved is ICA is industry-centric rather than member driven. This is consequence of internet.

Go to the show, you will like it.

For me the expo floor was like going to circus for the first time.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I was hoping the seminars would be very helpful for a new owner? Do you guys think I'm wasting my time? I'm canceling a family trip to FL with my two young kids to see my 83 year old dad in order to attend the car wash. It just seemed like the seminars, the new investor seminar, the self service round table, also the one on how to use social media seems interesting.

It's only about a 7hr car drive for me, so I'm not making a cross country pilgrimage to the place, but would have to miss an opportunity to see my dad due to attending the show that turns out to be not useful.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been to ICA shows in Orlando, Nashville, San Antonio and Vegas. They're fun and informative. I'm skipping this year and saving up for Nashville. It's a business expense and the benefit is you can make it a vacation, too.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Car Wash Guy, to me family comes first. There will always be other shows to attend but spending family time with your 83 year old father is something you may not have many opportunities to do.

In some respects I think it is more beneficial to attend the Show after having some experience owning and operating a wash. Then you can ask more relevant questions and seek advice for things you know you need to understand better. I have seen new owners led astray by companies or distributors out only for their own best interests. Go see your dad.

cmawash

Reaction score
Did not go to Chicago because we hate the place Am going to las vegas ica show, this is where we buy equipment, learn what"s new, and ask questions about equipment, show has been very helpfull in our business and produces a good $$$ return on what we learn. its fun to go to vegas. over the years have been to all shows and this has always been usefull and we like to also enjoy the trip a well

bighead

Reaction score
I agree with RPH. If you are new, you will most likely get overwhelmed with all the new data. Ive been 4x, and the first year I was a newbie, and I was definitely over stimulated. Now its just fine, because I am a very hands-on owner, and haven't had a service tech at my wash in the last 8 years.

That being said. If you are starting a new venture find a local distributor you can trust. Get references from him, and then get references from those references. The good guys will shine out and they will be more important to your venture than whatever salesman you interact with at the show.

Once you've been running for a while and want to "hone your craft" then I would recommend the show, meet new people, and interact with current vendors, see what new is out there, and see if there is anything with implementing at your wash.

If i find one new vendor/idea/product at a show I consider it a success.

Go with your family and see your dad

soapy

Reaction score
I have only missed a couple of shows in 20 years. I try to make it my regional and the ICA shows. I get as much out of just talking to other operators outside of the show or waiting for sessions as I do in the show. You meet a lot of great people. When you can put a name with a face at the show it pays off later when you need services. I usually try to get a few special deals on things like Foam brushes, chemicals etc. It is also good to see what new trends are coming.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
In 20 years I've only been to two ICA shows. I have only missed a couple of SCWA shows though. I get as much from my smaller regional show as the "International" one and it's cheaper and easier for me to attend.

MudMoney

Reaction score
My first show was in 1989 as a newbie looking for info & equipment,it will be overwhelming the first time & show time goes quickly.It pays to have a plan of action on who to see.I saved $22000 0n self serve equipment that time.Take your own business cards,even though the venders will scan your badge too.

CleanWD

cleanwd.com
Reaction score
just ask a vendor for a pass. usually if your "Potential customer" your main vendor or vendors that want your business should be able to get you a pass. If your lucky you might be able to get a nice dinner too.. Never hurts to ask..

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Passes are very hard to come buy under the new leadership of the ICA. In some cases vendors have to purchase extra ones just for their own employees. If you get one from a vendor you have to be considered a very serious prospect. They don't give them away like they used to.

CleanWD

cleanwd.com
Reaction score
Passes are very hard to come buy under the new leadership of the ICA. In some cases vendors have to purchase extra ones just for their own employees. If you get one from a vendor you have to be considered a very serious prospect. They don't give them away like they used to.
it depends on the booth size. I might be wrong..

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Years ago when I worked for one of the largest companies in the industry we used to get a large box with passes. We used to put them along with invoices when we mailed them out and gave many to our distributors to hand out. Not so today. Even in some of the large booths passes are scarce and hard to come by. I think exhibitors do get a discount on tickets so you might check on that.