What's new

Best thread sealant?

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
I’m in the process of changing the unloader on my old Futura. What is the best stuff to use to seal the threads on everything? I’ve got regular Teflon tape, yellow Teflon, Blue demon Teflon tape, pipe dope? I used white originally an have some small leaks. What do y’all recommend?

slash007

Reaction score
I stopped using white years ago. I use blue for everything, then put pipe dope on top if it's 1" or larger. Sometimes even if 3/4" depending on application.

Reactions: Zal

MEP001

Reaction score
Blue Monster. It's thicker than cheap white, so don't overdo it. It never hurts to use both tape and dope on any size fitting, I don't because I hate the mess. I use a lot of tape, so I bought enough rolls from supplyhouse.com to get free shipping. I also got some 1/4" for smaller fittings so you don't see the thread tape at the guns and wands in the bays.

MEP001

Reaction score
Another option is blue Loctite. There are some drawbacks, if you tighten the threads together really hard it can be difficult to disassemble, but not impossible. If you move the threads after it's cured, it will leak, but again it's pretty hard to move them if you tighten it up hard. I don't routinely use it, but I use it when building new equipment, anything that won't get taken apart again gets Loctite. I've assembled many, many thousands of brass fittings with Loctite and never once had a leak.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
So after putting it back together I gave it a day to cure before I fired it back up. Fixed all the leaks except the larger (3/4” I think) line at the swivel. I’ve tried to find a replacement end but no luck. Look like that end is the screw on type but I couldn’t find one. All for smaller hoses.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
Pipe dope doesn't cure. You can run it immediately.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
I know but it was a little tacky so I waited anyway. Can you point me in a direction for the high pressure fitting?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Could be a JIC fitting or SAE fitting which will need the proper adapter to not leak. I only use NPT so I'm not good at telling the difference. Mep can probably look at the female and tell.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Apply tape/dope to NPT fittings only.

Do not apply tape or dope on JIC or “non-working” swivels.

The tape/dope prevents the tapered faces from making full contact.

And, always remove the wad of tape from a reused fitting.

You’re welcome.

MEP001

Reaction score
Could be a JIC fitting or SAE fitting which will need the proper adapter to not leak. I only use NPT so I'm not good at telling the difference. Mep can probably look at the female and tell.
The fitting in the foreground does look like it could be a flare on the hose end. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone put a 3/8" flare hose end over a 3/8" NPT fitting.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
It’s not leaking at the threads. It’s leaking at the actual swivel. It wasn’t leaking before but it probably hadn’t been touched since 98. I disturbed it & now is dripping there.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
If that's a swivel fitting with male pipe thread on the hose, the swivel is bad. You'll have to get a new fitting crimped onto the hose, or replace the hose. I use a non-working swivel on those. Don't put thread tape on the male threads that go into the female part of the non-working swivel.

Keno

Reaction score
If that's a swivel fitting with male pipe thread on the hose, the swivel is bad. You'll have to get a new fitting crimped onto the hose, or replace the hose. I use a non-working swivel on those. Don't put thread tape on the male threads that go into the female part of the non-working swivel.
Are you saying not to put tape on the male threads of a non-working swivel npt fitting? I've always used tape on all npt fittings. Is that not correct procedure?

Keno

Reaction score
I have been using tape on both sides of that non-working swivel fitting, since both sides are usually npt fittings. It's been working fine for me, but I never put tape on the first couple threads anyway. Will taping hurt anything?