What's new

Best thread sealant?

OurTown

Reaction score
I don't put tape on non working swivel joints but I had one that just kept leaking and tape fixed it.

MEP001

Reaction score
In my experience, any moisture will get trapped in the tape and will cause it to rust worse than without tape, and it just makes it more trouble to take apart and tighten because you can't spin the fitting with your fingers.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I tape those because it seems like they break loose easier when it comes time to take them apart, the big ones anyway. I've started squirting a shot of anti seize in them. Can't recall any issues with premature rust but it usually the auto hoses getting a hole in them that gives me a problem, and it's nice to be able to take them apart without a lot of trouble.

MEP001

Reaction score
Anti seize is definitely not a bad idea. They usually come apart fine if they're in the room. If they're at the boom in the bay, I usually have to cut the hose and replace the crimp fitting. I still use them, but only use stainless ones.

Kevin James

Reaction score
We use Gasoila tread sealant with PTFE. The fittings don’t rust as bad if we didn’t use it. Stainless steel fittings are crazy expensive now. But on the other hand the stainless steel fittings will last forever.

MEP001

Reaction score
But on the other hand the stainless steel fittings will last forever.
That's why I use them. I've been working on a lot of the same washes for 30 years. In another 20 I don't want to still be messing with rusted non-working swivels.