What's new

Best Auto Drain Water Separator?

slash007

Reaction score
I don't see a recent thread discussing this, so figured I would start one. I have tons of water in my air lines even though my compressor is always auto draining. I just installed a Razor and noticed that it had 2 water separators on it that auto drained, so it make me want to install some around the wash. Especially right before my tire shine controls as I'm constantly having mac valves leak air due to the water. I did install a simple one that I had, but draining it is not fun, so I wanted to get opinions on a great auto drain model that wouldn't break the bank. Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Norgren auto drain separators, but I haven't been able to find any to buy.

Another option is multiple water traps in the plumbing, basically several up and down loops with a drain valve at the bottom of each, and you could use solenoids on a timer as an auto drain. I've done it with copper pipe, and it works, I just used ball valves and drained the traps once a week.

slash007

Reaction score
Been reliable I'm assuming? What's that large hole on the front? Viewfinder? Also, are you using the 1/4" or 3/8"?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
The thing in the front is a window so you can see the amount of fluid inside, mine is usually halfway full before it drains itself. I'm using the 3/8" model and I reduced the output to 1/4" so I could attach the airline's.

Etowah

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Last edited:

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am having lots of water issues and wanted to try installing some of these around the wash. Should I try air dryers as well?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If you're going to try a refrigerated dryer I would probably not bother with the multiple drains unless you're still having moisture issues.

wash4me

Reaction score
It’s very likely if you run a copper pipe out of the compressor to the ceiling of the equipment room and then back down just the blow down on the bottom of your compressor tank will be sufficient. This will allow condensation to form inside the pipe and drain back to the compressor tank.

wash4me

Reaction score
An idea that I have not tried but feel like it would work is to get a heat Exchanger and run your incoming water supply to the car wash through that on one side and have the air on the other side. This would promote condensation because of the cold water. Again letting it drain back to the tank

Rudy

Reaction score
My moisture problems were eliminated after I installed a heat exchanger between the compressor and the tank. A fan was installed on the back side of the heat exchanger, and runs whenever the compressor runs. The hot compressed air enters the heat exchanger, and any moisture condenses out the bottom as it gets cooled. A water separating air filter is then installed on the output of the heat exchanger, and collects the condensed moisture. An automatic drain periodically dumps the water.

Here's a link to the heat exchanger I used:

Here's a link to a previous discussion on this forum (the pictures no longer post.....):