What's new

Being on-site

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
We were packed this weekend. We had the perfect weather with dry roads and it occurred on the weekend. I was on site both Saturday and Sunday from about 9-6 each day. It was great to be able to help my customers out and give direction when needed.

I would like to have an attendant, but I am hesitant for a few reasons.

1. Will they care about my customers and their needs like I do?

2. Will they keep the site clean and orderly?

I know that most of these harken back to my ability to convey what I am looking for. I just wouldn't want to have someone there that wasn't actually representing me and my wash the way I would want it to be.

I have always said that I am in the customer service business. It just so happens that my avenue to that, is through car washing.

Thoughts?

MEP001

Reaction score
The best attendants are often retirees, people who have experience in life and can talk to others, basically looking for something to do for a few hours a day so they aren't stressed that it's not going to lead to a promotion.

Judging how an applicant will behave with your customers should be pretty simple - they will likely approach you the same way.

If you do hire one, you could always use a "secret shopper," send a friend or relative over on a busy day to make sure things are clean and that he's able to handle things like a request for change. Video surveillance would also help.

I have no doubt at all that having someone available helps the income. Many years ago I managed an old, cruddy wash, and I stayed around all day on the first nice Saturday we'd had in a few weeks. It did 20% more that day than any other day during the 7 years I ran it. Most I attribute to keeping people from drying or bucket-washing in bays.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes having an attendant is awesome for your wash. If you set them up with a bank and in my case a bank of tokens as well, they can help customers with change and getting tokens.

They are your face of the carwash, so they must be properly trained. I tell my guy not to smoke in front of customers, keep the place clean and provide excellent service first and foremost.

It's a bit unrealistic, even in a down economy, to expect an attendant to be as good as you are; it just ain't gonna happen! At best, they will be okay and make you more money. Be realistic and open to their suggestions and an attendant will definitely pay off.

First of all, though, protect your $$ and insist on an accrate accounting of cash, coin and tokens.

6t7gto

Reaction score
First of all, though, protect your $$ and insist on an accrate accounting of cash, coin and tokens.

and your vending items.
I know of a wash that the attendant was selling the items and pocketing the cash.

david

Jason Studer

Reaction score
I agree an attendent goes a long way on busy days, the last two weekends have been sunny and high 30's to low 40's in Minnesota we don't see that to often this time of year.

My 14 year old son is my attendent, he will open and close doors, keep vending full, keep the place clean, and most important keeps people moving, just the sign of someone at the wash gets people moving quicker and not taking there time to get in and out of the wash.

He can push at least 25% more car though the wash doing what he does, and at $7.50 an hour it is well worth it. and I have no worries that something is broke and I'm losing customers and money.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite SS carwash attendant stories:

The late great Paul Walker told me how he had a successful, high volume 10 bay. He attributed a lot of the wash's success to his having hired a very energetic, hard working, personable attendant. He kept the wash clean, working, and customers happy by being so friendly and helpful ... and "being there all the time".

Paul did not realize how much of the wash's success was attributable to the attendant ... not until he fired him. Because Paul so trusted the guy, he almost never audited his changers and monitored receipts. He finally got around to doing that (one day when the attendant was off duty) and discovered some major skimming had been going on. He rushed over to the guy's house and caught him red handed with "tons" of quarters. Naturally, Paul 86'd the guy.

Well, ironically, after the thieving attendant was gone, revenues soon plummeted, and continued to drop and drop further ... even tho' the skimming had stopped! The reason being that attendant really was a committed, dedicated silent partner --- the happier and more satisfied customers were, the more money was made, and the more he could comfortably skim. It took many months of effort to get that wash's revenues back up to where they had been with that "great" former attendant.

The bottom line point being that ongoing, personal attention at a SS can really make a positive difference.

JJJ/SSCWN
----------------------------------
The Poster Formerly Known

Louise

Reaction score
I have a 60 year old attendant/cleaner there during the day and a 19 year old onsite on the weekends. Both give excellent customer service, make change, keep things clean. Happy to say I have had both since I opened 4 years ago. At times, I think their customer service is better than mine.

Are they skimming???? Well, I guess it is possible, but I highly doubt it. To me, they are worth every penny I pay them.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I have an attendant 6 days a week. An attendant will not do everything just the way you want it done. However, having one is much better than not having one. That is actually the thing that sets my car wash apart from the competition.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Would it be best to put a sign up at the wash saying something like 'part time attendant wanted?' I know that our customers really appreciated the 'extra' service they received this past weekend, and I think that we could really set our wash apart from the others by being attended.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I would look for someone with a base already. I would not put a sign there. Everyone I kno hires a retiree or the like. I have a retired state trooper who knows everyone. My buddy has a retired sheriff (politician) who gossips with everyone.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think you need a sign. Just talk to your friends and customers. Find a retiree in decent physical shape without bad habits (drinking, gambling, etc.) and who is naturally friendly.

Remember; there is a line between friendly and talking too much. I actually coach my staff about chatting and knowing when to leave people alone. I tell them to allow a pause in the conversation and let the customer decide whether to get on with their carwash experience or continue the chat.

Let's face it; we all know someone who talks incessantly and won't let us go when we need to go and are sending up clear signals indicating the conversation should be over.:mad: One such individual just left my wash!!! :eek: NOTHING will turn your customers off more than this. Many folks want to be left alone and you must make sure that happens as it should!:D

The right attendant is well worth the money they are paid. For instance, if they notified you on a busy Saturday morning at 9am that a changer was down and you fixed it and kept on making $$ all weekend, they likely just made you anough $ to pay their wages for one month!:rolleyes:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I also made a sandwich board sign that I put on the street saying, "Attendant on Duty"

of course, I was the attendant.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I got a Cigarette sign like the big ones at gas stations with the spring bottoms. I took it to my local sign shop and hand inserts made which say Attendant on Duty in big letters. It makes a difference.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
The cigarette signs make excellent signs. They are actually just like spring loaded picture frames. If you make a sign on 4ml corrugated plastic, you can even make them double sided. Then you stick one on each side. I leave the center original cigarette sign in as additional support since it is metal anyway. This way I end up with two different signs which are changeable. I can also make additional signs, but I have another cigarette sign for that. I am placing one at each end of my lot.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Indiana - And just think, push comes to shove, you can start selling cigs! jking

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
That's a really good idea. I could put them in vending machines. Since I am on the road to the high school, I would bet my sales would be through the roof.

(For those that don't know me, this is just a joke, so don't flame me.)

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'm sure you were talking about selling them to the teachers. :)

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Where could I get one of those cigarette signs?

I think having a sign out front will help even if I am the attendant right now. We are going to be putting our new shurvend in and switching our changers over to all dollar coins. I will have to have someone there to explain the coins and help with the vendor etc...

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Don't explain the dollar coins. I've tried many times and it just doesn't work. The customer always thinks that you mean tokens. Let them buy them expecting quarters, they will figure it out much more quickly than if you beat your head against the wall trying to let them know beforehand. If they ask you, just say "It's real money, not tokens. They work in everything here." Trust me, I've been dispensing them for 9 years.