What's new

Audio in Etowah Valley System.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I just installed one of my new meters from Etowah Valley Equipment, and can't seem to get the audio input to work. The voice prompts work fine, but I can't get music to play over the speaker. Jim is doing some checking for me, but he indicated that not a lot of customer were using this function. Thought I would see if anyone out there had similar problems, or if someone got it to actually work.

I ran cat 5 to each of the bays, punched them all down on a 66 block in the equipment room. I am using a spare pair in the Cat 5 for the music to the timer. I bought some audio connectors that will work for Cat 5 cables, but when plugged into the audio input of Jim's timer, I get no music. I am getting the audio to the 66 block through the headphones jack, which should be a line level input, and also just punching down the speaker wire from the stereo to the block. Neither seem to work. Any suggestions. I know telecommunications, but not an audio/video geek. Please help.

Thanks,
Lighthouse.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I'm interested to see where this goes since I also have a box, but never really thought about playing music over the speaker!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What are you using for the audio source? Is it powerful enough to power speakers over such a long distance? Headphone output may not be powerful enougn. Can you do a test by bypassing the block and Cat 5 and running a line outside your equip room to the speaker just to see if taht works which will narrow down the problem to being in the Cat5 or other connection.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Bear in mind that ASCAP or whoever it is that polices music copyright, might show up and make you pay a fee to "provide" music. If you have more than 2 speakers you are liable to pay the fee.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Bear in mind that ASCAP or whoever it is that polices music copyright, might show up and make you pay a fee to "provide" music. If you have more than 2 speakers you are liable to pay the fee.
Last time I checked ASCAP or BMI lost a couple of those cases. Check your local counsel / Juris. If I get time I will look for the cases.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I'm going to do some more research on Monday. I think I will plug an ipod into the audio input at the bay and see if it will play over the speaker, then I will know if it's Jim's box, or my output to the box.

Thanks,
Lighthouse.