What's new

Attempted theft

jack954

Reaction score
signs are like video cameras as we see people will still vandallize, but what we can’t see is how much vandalism it has prevented. i think each and all deterrents are time and money well spent!

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
... There it is, again. Remove the quarters; remove the problem.
I’m a Believer…!
Yeah, I too was a believer when I converted to $1 tokens 22 years ago.
Then 10 years ago when I started getting robbed anyway, I figured out that its the economic and social changes in our community that were causing the significant increase in crime (and drugs). Not selling Quarters in my bill changers might stop a few - yeah I think it did - but we get robbed now anyway.
I bet that even if Randy is 100% credit card only, he'll still get hit. Our society has corroded.

On a related note, the police always ask "how much did they get?"
Me:
- "around $20-30 ... but they caused $3500 in damage."
- "nothing except my bluetooth speaker... and $2500 in damage."
- "nothing. Except the $2000 in damage, plus my time to do all the repairs."
Most recently just last week, a guy spent 35 minutes trying to pry the bill changer out of the wall at 2 AM, from the outside. Yes - 35 minutes with his face 6" from the changer that says "TOKENS ONLY" and yet he did not comprehend that he would get nothing out of it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
One of my concerns is that instead of small businesses similar to ours not being reimbursed like Marsy's Law was supposed to somewhat do even for property criminal mischief ... but ... even worse ... the local Police Commissioner & DA in-crowd (clique) just lets them go too easily without bail ... saying ... just a little bit of property damage. Some cities are worse than others that from what I have gathered! But "what the hey" ... aren't some of those local prosecutors duly & verifiably honestly elected. IMHO ... one of the scariest words to hear from some of those in power is that your only recourse is in civil court ... ouch!

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
I receive restitution payments from two people that did several thousands in damage to get ten or twenty dollars.
The one guy has been paying for about two years. I get $5 10 or 15, every other month or so.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I receive restitution payments from two people that did several thousands in damage to get ten or twenty dollars.
The one guy has been paying for about two years. I get $5 10 or 15, every other month or so.
Did criminal or civil court order those payments? Maybe he is volunteering to pay because you avoided pressing charges?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Glad youre at least getting something.
From a break in 8 years ago, $14000 damages, I did get one restitution check. $7. LOL.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Glad youre at least getting something.
From a break in 8 years ago, $14000 damages, I did get one restitution check. $7. LOL.
That is why it is critical that citizens pay attention to the quality of local DA's & city attorneys. I agree Tom's getting something does help. I remember having very short chat with the at the time City Attorney "off the record" at a local Chamber of Commerce event. With the minute or two exchange before the speaker took the mike ... lunch n learn at a local private university ... he complimented me on how I would always provide evidence.

I did not have a chance (time-wise or other access) to "chew him out a bit" in regards of how much stress he & authorities can cause an owner when they do not respond ... keeping the owner "in the dark" of what they even have in mind. I even stopped once at their office about an incident & I was "blown away" by what appeared to be "bullet proof glass & even metal bars" ... that time they sent out through the glass a junior ... but law degreed person (who really did not have final authority) ... & I felt he really did not understand the gravity of the situation that I truthfully & thoroughly explained & presented photos etc to him.

Etowah