What's new

Attempted theft

Rodebaugh1

Reaction score
Got ready to empty coin boxes yesterday and found one that somebody had been drilling on. Fortunately, he was unsuccessful. However, he did enough damage to the lock that made it quite a pain to get the thing open so I could replace the lock. Good news is that I had some excellent pictures and videos of the guy but the cops said he will probably only be charged with criminal mischief at best. Drat!

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
Got ready to empty coin boxes yesterday and found one that somebody had been drilling on. Fortunately, he was unsuccessful. However, he did enough damage to the lock that made it quite a pain to get the thing open so I could replace the lock. Good news is that I had some excellent pictures and videos of the guy but the cops said he will probably only be charged with criminal mischief at best. Drat!
I just hate amateurs. Did you get your lock open?

Rodebaugh1

Reaction score
Yes - It wasn't damaged too bad. Just had to use a pick and some small tools to dig the debris out and straighten the hole a bit. Then I used a small hammer and tapped a new key into it. Unlocked just fine.

Randy

Reaction score
Yes - It wasn't damaged too bad. Just had to use a pick and some small tools to dig the debris out and straighten the hole a bit. Then I used a small hammer and tapped a new key into it. Unlocked just fine.
You should consider yourself very lucky. How often do you pull your money out of the equipment? We pull our money out every 3 days whether it needs or not.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
I am dealing with the same situation with my ACW4, but the damage to both locks is too severe to ever get a key in again. Out of change and jammed coin acceptor is creating additional challenges. Ordering new locks and cylinder housings tomorrow and then going nuclear on it.

MEP001

Reaction score
I just ordered the lock housings from LAI that you can attach a puck lock to. The housings are pretty cheap, but I ordered Cobra brand puck locks with a Medeco insert, which cost $126 each.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
Several years ago someone tried drilling my medeco plug locks on my ACW4.
If you have the same plug locks you need to use cobalt or titanium tipped drill bits, keep oiling the bits, spin them slow and take your time to drill out the locks.
Its a PIA, but you will get it.

Reactions: sjb

MEP001

Reaction score
If you have the same plug locks you need to use cobalt or titanium tipped drill bits, keep oiling the bits, spin them slow and take your time to drill out the locks.
That's how you break a lot of drill bits. There's a much faster and easier way.

MEP001

Reaction score
Just happened a few days ago, took less than five minutes to get the plug out.

IMG_20211206_204646523.jpg

Randy

Reaction score
Frigg’n amateurs! I’ve got it down to under 3 minutes to get Medeco plug lock open. The Abus high security disc locks are a joke, I can open one them in about 3 or 4 minutes. The round hockey puck locks are a little harder but they can be had in minutes. The best advice I can give is to pick up your coin vaults, vacuums and vending often.

washnvac

Reaction score
Wait for it Randy.................wait..............Or go to dispensing high security $1 tokens. There it is, again. Remove the quarters; remove the problem.

Reactions: sjb

Randy

Reaction score
Wait for it Randy.................wait..............Or go to dispensing high security $1 tokens. There it is, again. Remove the quarters; remove the problem.
We do use $1 tokens, have for over 25 years. The problem is the criminals are to stupid to figure that out. Once I caught a guy selling tokens that he stole from one of our other washes. He came up to me when I drove into the car wash and wanted to sell me back our tokens for 2 for a buck, he thought I was a customer. I the last week I've talked to all the other car wash operators in our area and they are all having theft and vandalism problems. One of the car wash operators found 2 credit card skimmers that someone had put on the coin boxes after they removed the cryptopay reader.

Martins

Reaction score
Not sure if im the only one, but all my drops and doors are alarmed with sirens above each bay. Sure they might get one open but It’ll instant trigger once they do. Something to think about.

MEP001

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to help. Some idiot has been breaking into washes and laundromats all over town. At one wash he cut open a bay vault, but one of the two bays was down. He also broke into two vacs that don't work.

sjb

Reaction score
I’m a Believer…!

Now in our 25th year, we only made the conversion to $1 tokens an CC’s in the last 6 months, and YES, it has had a significant impact on the bottom line…