What's new

Another strange Cryptopay issue

OurTown

Reaction score
After installing and pairing a Cryptotap unit to our Goldline the other day I started to notice a strange random issue with other swipers. Here is the issue: swipe card, verifies card, starts bay (or vac), immediately shuts down bay and displays the typical ending message on the LED6, swiper is still active with the flashing green button and solid green side lights. Then you can still press the button to add enough (we are still using count down mode) to start the bay and then everything seems normal. This has happened only once each on three swipers and I can't seem to replicate the issue. I looked at the device configuration and they look fine. Of course Cryptopay has been closed and won't reopen until Monday but I did send them an email. Anybody ever see this issue?

mac

Reaction score
Have not seen that but I can highly recommend going to count up mode. I did earlier and now my revenue has doubled. Let that sink in a bit.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't understand the reasoning for being count down. I recently retired and relocated. Of course, I now have to pay for car washes. I have used three different SS car washes in the area, all set up to count down. One of them was set at $2:00! That particular one was the only one that I re-swiped. I spent a grand total of $4, scrubbing the bugs for free, between the cycles. The other two washes were set at $5. Neither of those did I re-swipe. Wake up guys!!!

MEP001

Reaction score
I spent a grand total of $4, scrubbing the bugs for free, between the cycles.
I've installed a number of Cryptopay systems for people, most of which originally wanted to go count-down. What you said is how I talked them out of it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah; count UP!!!!!!

the instant stop issue i have only seen on over- limit credit cards.

OurTown

Reaction score
Have not seen that but I can highly recommend going to count up mode. I did earlier and now my revenue has doubled. Let that sink in a bit.

What!? Are you saying that your average self serve bay ticket doubled because of going to count up? The reason we initially started with count down was an attempt to convert cash users. Also no one around us was count up but now we are seeing a fair amount of washes that are. What we were going to do was put in our new (to us) meter boxes and our other functions and go to count up then. We are tired of waiting to find a good time to do all of this so we are going to count up this week. Anyone else have data on what happened after converting to count up?

OurTown

Reaction score
Back to the original problem. It has happened to all the swipers now and one it has done it three times. I want to point out that it is with the attendant cards that we are swiping so hopefully it has to do with only those. No customers have called to complain yet.

MEP001

Reaction score
Anyone else have data on what happened after converting to count up?
Years ago at another wash we put in one of the first Hamilton D.A.N. systems, and I used its cash tracking and the surveillance to see exactly what was spent per car. CC was about 50% more than cash. There was none of the "soap up the car and let it time out to brush for free," and no bucket washers who paid by card.

OurTown

Reaction score
Years ago at another wash we put in one of the first Hamilton D.A.N. systems, and I used its cash tracking and the surveillance to see exactly what was spent per car. CC was about 50% more than cash. There was none of the "soap up the car and let it time out to brush for free," and no bucket washers who paid by card.

I was thinking of how much more people spent on count up vs count down mode after converting.

MEP001

Reaction score
Your customers are probably not spending much more with CC than with cash since you're count down.

Damoni88

Reaction score
Cryptopay had to update all my swipers 16 total once I added the crypto tap unit to automatic. Pat helped me through everything and is working great now.

OurTown

Reaction score
Cryptopay had to update all my swipers 16 total once I added the crypto tap unit to automatic. Pat helped me through everything and is working great now.

What were the swipers doing before the update?

OurTown

Reaction score
Your customers are probably not spending much more with CC than with cash since you're count down.

That is very possible. We will never know but we will find out how much the average CC ticket will go up after going to count up.

Damoni88

Reaction score
We switched to count up after the hurricanes destroyed our bay doors and it was the best decision ever. They were brand new swipers and they still needed an update.

mac

Reaction score
While my total revenue doubled, part of that is due to me getting everything working. Did track my average credit card totals and it did slightly double what it was when I was in count down.

OurTown

Reaction score
After switching to count up in the bays this does not happen anymore on those swipers but the problem still persists on the vacs which are count down. According to Cryptopay we are the only ones reporting this problem. They did some type of tweak a few weeks ago but are still working on a solution. I'm sure it's not high priority. The good news is that this may only be an attendant card issue and have not had any customers report this issue.

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
What!? Are you saying that your average self serve bay ticket doubled because of going to count up? The reason we initially started with count down was an attempt to convert cash users. Also no one around us was count up but now we are seeing a fair amount of washes that are. What we were going to do was put in our new (to us) meter boxes and our other functions and go to count up then. We are tired of waiting to find a good time to do all of this so we are going to count up this week. Anyone else have data on what happened after converting to count up?
Ya, my income more than doubled... JUST DO IT and TRUST US! our avg C.C. customer spends over $10 in the bays and over $4 on the vacs..

OurTown

Reaction score
Ya, my income more than doubled... JUST DO IT and TRUST US! our avg C.C. customer spends over $10 in the bays and over $4 on the vacs..
We already did it weeks ago but I'm not impressed so far. I will post my findings in my count up thread.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
Interesting. What are you using for a minimum startup and what's your cost per minute. $10.00 average time per wash would be over 16 minutes at my place.