What's new

Adding keyed bypass switch

steve91932

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum. I work for the maintenance department for the US Navy in San Diego, CA. We have a self service car wash that they are requesting a keyed bypass to be installed to wash government vehicles. They do not want to use coins. The key would need to activate the timer. The attendant on site would need to activate the bay as needed. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
Some car washes come with a washdown key switch, but it means leaving the key in the switch while in use. You might have to wire the switch to activate pulses to the timer to give time instead.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I have Jim Coleman equipment and I have a wash down key for all my bays like you mentioned. Mine is a bypass switch so no pulses needed insert the cam key turn and all functions can be used as of you turned on with coins. Down side is I can't track minutes used for wash downs etc. Also as Mep mentioned the key is onsite and my employee left it in the switch before so I had to change all the switches bc someone came by and took the key

steve91932

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I got a chance to look at the car wash. There isnt any room to put a switch at the bay area. I called the manufacturer and they suggested a momentary pushbutton on the inside equipment and tie it into the coin pulse circuit.

Randy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I got a chance to look at the car wash. There isnt any room to put a switch at the bay area. I called the manufacturer and they suggested a momentary pushbutton on the inside equipment and tie it into the coin pulse circuit.
What kind of timer are you using?

RAM

Reaction score
If you need to track attendant or other user, the IDX Wicket card system allows for that. The cards can be programmed by owner like Prepay Gift or Fleet Post bill card accounts and the cards shows time stamps for usage.

The cards can be used in conjuction with their credit card system or without depending on what card reader functionality you need for your site.

soapy

Reaction score
MY system has a keyed bypass switch. All it basically would take is to feed positive 24 volt to one side of key and run wire from key to the rotary switch power wire. All a timer does normally is energize rotary switch. When key is activated it would send the power to the switch.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you need to track attendant or other user, the IDX Wicket card system allows for that. The cards can be programmed by owner like Prepay Gift or Fleet Post bill card accounts and the cards shows time stamps for usage.

The cards can be used in conjuction with their credit card system or without depending on what card reader functionality you need for your site.
Do you work for IDX? All your posts promote their hardware.

RAM

Reaction score
Yes i do, but not trying to promote product---just giving out information that may not be known to newcomer to the industry. I try to leave the promoting or non-promoting of products to rest of forum discussions. I will try better to interject info/opinion regarding other topics/threads that us carwash operators deal with from day to day like how to replace seals in one pump brand or another or ways to deter excess dumping of trash... or other daily problems we owners run into.....