What's new

3/8" Hose to 1/4" Hose

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
All,

Over the past few years I have heard several people mention using exclusively 1/4" hose in their self serve bays for high pressure. This winter has been especially hard on my 3/8" hose and will need to replace all the bays within the next few weeks. My question is what are the pros and cons for those of you that use 1/4"? I understand the cost savings, but are there additional benefits that I am not seeing?

Any and all input is appreciated. ~John

escarwash

Reaction score
We use a 3/8 inch hose in the boom and a 1/4 inch hose from the end of the boom to the gun. I found the 1/4 inch hose is lighter and easier to maneuver around the bay with. I also noticed the chemicals switch faster when using 1/4 inch hose. I think my 1/4 inch hoses didn't last as long as the 3/8 hoses, but after putting a pvc hose guard at the end of the hose near the gun the hoses lasted a lot longer. We kept the 3/8 hoses in the boom because we felt they last longer, but I might switch to 1/4 the next time I replace them.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
We use a 3/8 inch hose in the boom and a 1/4 inch hose from the end of the boom to the gun. I found the 1/4 inch hose is lighter and easier to maneuver around the bay with. I also noticed the chemicals switch faster when using 1/4 inch hose. I think my 1/4 inch hoses didn't last as long as the 3/8 hoses, but after putting a pvc hose guard at the end of the hose near the gun the hoses lasted a lot longer. We kept the 3/8 hoses in the boom because we felt they last longer, but I might switch to 1/4 the next time I replace them.
Thanks for the feedback! Are you talking about these pvc hose guards? How good did they fit seeing as how they are set up for 3/8" hose?

escarwash

Reaction score
I use these. They are for 1/4 inch hose. I heat they up with a heat gun to get them over the fitting and onto the hose. After I get everything put together I heat them up again and push them as far down toward the gun as I can.

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone in our area uses ¼” hose. Everyone here uses 3/8” hose. We put the end of the hose with the hose bend restrictor on the hose into a bucket of hot water for a few minutes, put a little soap on the fitting and the hose restrictor will slid right over the end fitting, once it cools down it will stay on in place. We put a hose bend restrictor on each end of the hose and then flip flop the hoses once a year, they seem to last longer that way. I was at a car wash yesterday and they use ready-made hoses that are too long and they drag on the pavement, they don’t seem to last too long, they tend to wear out in the middle.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Once you try a 1/4 inch hose -- at first it will feel like a cordless wand.
I didn't like the loud slap of the fat hose on peoples cars- or once in a while
it would slap me in the face on the way around.

danj2

Reaction score
I have used both in my wash, and I certainly prefer the 1/4" hose. It is noticeably lighter and more user-friendly, especially for the ladies, I suspect.

Does anyone know if the smaller diameter hose would adversely affect the water flow or pressure? If so, would an adjustment need to be made at the pump to offset it?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I switched to 1/4" hose on the guns from the boom down about 10 years ago. I did it to lighten the gun assembly and make it easier to use. I use a gun which has the hose inlet ahead of the trigger (Paraplate). The combination of the two makes for a light and easy to use high pressure gun. This translates into customers spending more time ($$$) washing.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
In conjunction with the change in hose sizes, I was also contemplating going from 2506 tips to 1504's? Those of you that use the 1/4" hose, what tip size do you use?

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve been using a 1505 or 1504 nozzles for years. By using a narrower spray pattern it gives the customer the feeling or impression that they are getting more pressure than the really are. When you pull the handle the gun will kick back. We’ve had customers drive from the other side of town because of the higher pressure. Try a few and see how you like them.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
In conjunction with the change in hose sizes, I was also contemplating going from 2506 tips to 1504's?
Do you plan to increase pressure to make up for the loss in flow?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I put 1504's in two of my bays a few month's ago to try them out. I am using 1/4 " hose. They are performing just fine. I will be changing all bays to them. I run 1200 psi.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Do you plan to increase pressure to make up for the loss in flow?
That's one of the things I was concerned about. Will the reduced GPM's and the smaller ID impact the perceived wash quality? I guess the best way would be to do what Ric did and check a few bays. Thoughts?

MEP001

Reaction score
I might go to a 15° or xx04 tip if there were a lot of very dirty vehicles getting washed, but the vast majority of customers I see are washing cars and "daily driver" light trucks. The 25° covers better, and the xx06 gives good impact without being dangerous. I've run the tip across the back of my left thumb at point blank range many, many times - it hurts like hell but it's never broken the skin. I was using someone else's wash cleaning mud out of a bumper I had bought at a junkyard and punched a hole in my finger down to bone.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I might go to a 15° or xx04 tip if there were a lot of very dirty vehicles getting washed, but the vast majority of customers I see are washing cars and "daily driver" light trucks. The 25° covers better, and the xx06 gives good impact without being dangerous. I've run the tip across the back of my left thumb at point blank range many, many times - it hurts like hell but it's never broken the skin. I was using someone else's wash cleaning mud out of a bumper I had bought at a junkyard and punched a hole in my finger down to bone.
Do you think a 2504 tip would be effective? I need to cut down on water consumption, but I don't want to sacrifice wash quality.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Do you think a 2504 tip would be effective? I need to cut down on water consumption, but I don't want to sacrifice wash quality.
Here in MI. the 15 degree nozzle cuts thru the ice and snow well. For 3 bucks you can try one in a bay and decide for yourself if it works in your market/climate.

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
You might start by changing your tips more often. You'd be surprised how much more water a 2-month old tip will flow than a new one.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I went to 1/4" hoses in the bays 2-3 years ago. No complaints and no noticeable loss of pressure/volume. Of course you're not pushing as much water through so there is a trade-off, but I don't think it's big enough to impact your wash quality. I too felt the 3/8 hoses were just too heavy for a user.

As for up in the troughs, at one wash I've switched over to the stainless steel instrument tubing from Windtrax. I was noticing over time the inside of the rubber hoses were getting clogged like my arteries, so instead of replacing them with another, I went straight to stainless tube. Working on doing the same to my other wash as well.

Tips? I'm using 2504 and 2505, depending how far the run is from the workshop. Used to use 15XX, but had a lot of questions from customers regarding pressure, even though I kept it the same. The 25XX gives more of a kick when the trigger is pulled. I guess perception is everything.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will order some 2504's and 1504's and start trying them out. Thanks!

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I've been using 1/4" hoses, 3/8 ends, one hose guard and 1505's tips for 15 years in 2 washes. I use it in the booms and boom to gun.
I changed over for all the reasons already discussed plus the women complained about having to heave the 3/8 hoses because they were heavy and they did not like the slapping of the hoses on their cars.
The only issue I have encountered is a loss of soap in 2 of the bays using the 1505's.
I checked everything, changed all hoses, replaced what I thought could be the issues, etc. Still had the problem.
At the last resort I put in new 2505's in those 2 bays and got a ton of soap immediately.
Not sure why it worked so I put the 1505's back in and lost soap again.
So now those 2 bays have 2505's in them and they work like a champ.

Etowah