What's new

Zep Chems???? Anybody?

twoclean21

Reaction score
Has anyone tried out ZEP chems, especially presoaks. I am trying to get a car without film, if it is possible with touchless. Tell me what you think of the ZEP chems if anyone has tried them. I am probably looking for the impossible.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I'm not using useing Zep I'm currently with Ryko and Turtle Wax Chemicals with no problems, what are you currently useing? now what I am about to mention I'm in no way gaining anything here just passing info that was passed on to me, if you goto Ryko's website they are currently giving away $800 in free chemicals to those who want to try them? www.ryko.com

pitzerwm

Reaction score
If you use Zep, check around as the rep can sell it at any price you are willing to pay. I found that my guy was charging me about 50% more than WR was getting it for in Vegas.

dpessler

Reaction score
I'm using their 2401 presoak for my Coleman WW's. I liket it @ about 75-1 &
2 passes. It is hard on brass fittings & procon pumps. Can't say it's the greatest but works pretty good. Doug

mac

Reaction score
In Florida a little while ago, the Zep rep owned two washes, and he used Blendco in his automatics. Does that tell you anything?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Couple of guys I know use Zep in their SS and IBAs. Way too expensive, but seems to work ok. They use a alkaline presoak with a booster in the IBA.

Reaction score
In Florida a little while ago, the Zep rep owned two washes, and he used Blendco in his automatics. Does that tell you anything?

How very professional of you Mac........
Conflict of interest with your chemical sales? Seems it by this topic you started here. http://forum.autocareforum.net/showthread.php?t=1817

Quote from Zep Inc. website "Zep’s vehicle wash products are used privately and commercially to clean more that one million vehicles per day!"

* "A million a day"
* Certified as an ISO-9001 & 14001 manufacturer
* In business 71 years

Yes, that "tells me" something.

Good old internet :rolleyes:

Last edited:

john30036

Reaction score
zep chems

I have used ZEP for years. The one thing i can tell you is you do get what you pay for. 75-1 is to lean. That film you have been talking about is bar none the hardest thing to get off. Is your water softener working OK? Are you a one step or a 2 step? Whats your dwell time? If you use a HF product I assure you the cars will come clean it's not very safe tears up the concrete hard on equipment etc... I use zep car and truck touch free at 50 or so to 1 and have zero problems. From time to time depending on the weather I will get the "eyebrow" problem on the windshield. You have to understand the windshield is a whole different animal. When you hit the windshield squirters you are spraying Alcohol on the windshield and creating a whole different soil to remove. Soaps are not made to clean every type of soil out there. If you use ZEP you will get a high quality product every time without fail. They have been around for a long time, they must be doing something right. Figure your cost per car and I assure you they are very competitive with anybody out there. Hope this helps.

mac

Reaction score
Hello Bill I. I found a couple of things amusing about your posting. The first is that the fact I stated about the local Zep rep was not disputed. That does tell me something. You also seem to be confusing quantity with quality. Yes Zep sells a LOT of chemicals. They have done a remarkable job selling to almost everyone. I find their stuff in many places other than carwashes. That fact however doesn't mean they are considered the best. McDonalds sells a lot of sandwiches. Does that mean they are the best? Try not to get so upset that others are competiting with you. Also the fact Bill Pitzer mentioned about pricing was not disputed. I have ran into that down here also. All perfectly legal, just makes some operators leery.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Only that you feel the need to continually bash your competition.
I am sure this is a true story. I saw the president of GM driving a Ford last week in Detroit.
Does that tell you something?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
A good chemical rep can make just about anybody's brand chemicals work well. A lot depends on how much you are willing to spend to get good results and how good the chemical rep is.

It is true that the Zep rep has quite a bit of flexibility on pricing, more than most reps. It is also true that they make chemicals for many different industries but so does EcoLab and many of the other major chemical suppliers in our industry. I think the important issue is whether you are getting or can get the service and quality results you want with the brand you chose. I might also want to know what type of marketing materials and support are available at little or no cost if all other factors are equal.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Ryko, you really did see what's his name driving a Ford??? That is funny and almost impossible.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I do not think being a good chemical rep can make an inferior product work! I have technicians make chemical adjustments. Most chemical reps are just salesmen. The best settings will be achieved by someone who knows the system and the chemicals.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryko, you really did see what's his name driving a Ford??? That is funny and almost impossible.

No, I was being a smart a$$. I just had to make fun of another stupid claim made by Mac.
Why would anyone choose a Ford over a GM product unless they were buying a truck.

mac

Reaction score
Mr pro, you are free to your opinion. I don't see how me stating a fact about another is a stupid claim. Contrary to what you think, I don't make this stuff up just to be cute or clever. What I said about the Zep guy was a fact. Deal with it.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Mac,
I would never think of you as cute or clever! Who was the Zep guy and where is he located?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Iv'e been using Zep products in my tunnel for 20 years. The thing I like about Zep is they have a huge product selection. Some of the products I use are not marketed to car washes, but because I have a really good sales rep I get products that work. I also like the fact that my rep sets his own pricing and I haven't paid list price for anything for a long time. BTW, their Touch Free Detergent is great.

dpessler

Reaction score
Is anyone using 2401 presoak? What are you paying? Mr rep is quoting me $8.31 per gallon. That seems high in this economy & with oil prices being less than half! Also, I know he gets paid on profit so the higher the price the more money for him!
Thanks! Doug

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's 457.05 per 55 gal. drum. Sounds high. How many oz per car are you using?

MEP001

Reaction score
dpessler said:
Mr rep is quoting me $8.31 per gallon. That seems high in this economy & with oil prices being less than half!
Said again and again on this forum, you can't base your costs solely on the cost of the product. You need to determine it based on how many cars per cost unit you can wash.