What's new

Z Booms

youknow21

Reaction score
I am interested in updating my self serve bays to a z boom system with 3 booms per bay with the ability to add a 4th in the future. I currently have a single boom system with the bubble brush down the walls. I want to also add a hand held dryer in each bay and would prefer to have them installed on a ceiling mount boom as well.

I would like to visit a wash (or washes) with this type of set up to try them out for myself. Does anyone know of a wash, preferably in the midwest (I'm in Indiana), that has this type of setup that I could visit?
Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup that could offer some type of feedback on the pros & cons of setting up this way?

I know Mosmatic makes a z boom for the dryers, are there any other brands that do?

MEP001

Reaction score
Dralco makes one, but I don't believe they offer a dryer version.

I only know one person who has tried the Dralco "Z" booms, and he ended up taking them down. He said they wouldn't swing toward the wall properly unless he tilted the mounting plate, and when he did they would hit each other.

bigleo48

Reaction score
YK21,

I have this configuration with the Mosmatic booms including the air boom. Mosmatic stuff is good quality stuff. I know Gary Bright who has pictures of his wash on the owners section, has the 5 booms config.

There are a few thing you need to think of when installing the 2 booms. First, them need to be mounted 180 apart...not the likely 90 you have. The need to be tilted towards the resting direction so they find their way there when not in use or they will tangle. If you plan on having 4 booms, then your gonna need to pick shorter booms and do some measuring. The mosmatic site has some layout drawing in the boom material.

Big

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I only have 2 booms per bay, but I can attest to the quality of the mosmatic z booms, I've had them in for over 10 years and they still look & function great.

youknow21

Reaction score
Thanks Big.
From what I understand, Mosmatic sells a magnetic positioning device that helps to return the boom to the correct position when not in use.
That's one thing I would like to try out in person to see if I think I will be satisfied with them!!
Do you use the Mosmatic brand dryers along with the booms or just the booms?
Where is your wash located?
How do I find the 5 boom pictures that you are referring to?
Where is Gary's wash located?

Thanks

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
youknow21 said:
From what I understand, Mosmatic sells a magnetic positioning device that helps to return the boom to the correct position when not in use.
It doesn't return them home, it just helps hold them there. Mosmatic booms swing very easily and smoothly and they have a thick boom pipe, so a strong wind can push the hoses away from the wall and interfere with a car driving in.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Do you use the Mosmatic brand dryers along with the booms or just the booms?

All Mosmatic

Where is your wash located?
Very far from yours

How do I find the 5 boom pictures that you are referring to?
Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPni54XzLc

Where is Gary's wash located?

I believe all in NT State.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I only have 2 booms per bay, but I can attest to the quality of the mosmatic z booms, I've had them in for over 10 years and they still look & function great.
Paul & other Mosmatic users,

Do you pretty much have to replace the Mosmatic Swivels with Mosmatic? One thing that has me holding back updating to 3 or 4 per bay Z Booms is that I am psyched out by by our thorough earlier test of the Mosmatic swivels. To be fair that occurred when Mosmatic 1st started selling swivels which must be over 17 years ago. If they improved their swivels drastically from their original ones ... it might tip the scale on updating all our booms when we update our 1987 Wand Blow Dry System. The Mosmatic Blow dry wand looks identical as Mike Doyle's wand on the Mosmatic website ... correct me if I am wrong.

What is the average life of their swivel portion of their variety of booms?

mike

steve569

Reaction score
I have 8 Mosmatic booms that were installed 4 years ago and recently replaced one swivel. The rest are still the original swivels.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
What is the average life of their swivel portion of their variety of booms?
Mike, I've had them for at least 10 years, I have not replaced a boom swivel yet.
I dont see why you couldnt put a different brand swivel in it, unless the threading is different, I've never checked.

Yes, I do put new O-rings in them occasionally, maybe once every 2 or 3 years. Seems like I get a leak in the boom swivels after I have freezing problems :eek: