What's new

Your "Save or Pitch" Lost Items Policy?

Carl

Reaction score
A customer came back by asking if we'd found his center hub cap for his Cadillac. I know we had this two weeks ago in our equipment room but now it's gone. We've probably pitched this 'cause we don't like equipment room clutter but gosh...I wish I could have returned this to the customer. :(

What's your policy for keeping stuff you find that's either been lost or left behind? I know you can't save everything for an indefinite amount of time but if I were in my customer's shoes, sure wish I hadn't pitched this a few days after I found it. (of course I didn't tell him that we did have this for a short while) I've seen customers come back SIX WEEKS LATER to finally ask if we've found something they've left behind so how long do you guys keep stuff before pitching? Just curious. Thanks. - Carl

bigleo48

Reaction score
Diddo for us...except if it looks valuable. I would have likely kept that center cap for a caddy a little longer...might be worth something on ebay ;)

BigLeo

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't "keep" anything. If it looks like it has been left behind, I put it in the gated enclosure for the dumpster, which isn't locked, so if the customer calls for it they can retrieve it without me having to be there. It will usually disappear within two weeks, and I've never had anyone call or approach me after more than two weeks looking for something like that. If it's still there after more than two weeks, I pitch it in the dumpster.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
On rare occasions we get something valuable - tools, a wallet. We'll hold onto those for a month or so if necessary. But we only see something valuable once every 2 or 3 years... probably less.

Everything else - we dont keep it. We get hub caps, floor mats, clothing, car seats, old tires, furniture - you name it - in the trash almost every week. Only once has anybody called about those items.

The in-between items that look like somebody does want but forgot - we leave them where they are, they almost always get picked up within a day. If not, we set them by the equipment room door (outside) for a couple more days, then toss them in the trash.

Randy

Reaction score
Wallets, Purses, US Passports, that right I?ve found US Passports at the carwash. I call the Police and turn it in to them. Everything else immediately goes into the dumpster.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I usually purge the equipment rooms at the beginning of each month.

However, one time I found someone's tax returns in the trash. Had all her info, SSN, bank account #, address, etc.. I called the number on it three times, and it was her number for her vmail said so. She never called me back and never returned it. Thus, I put it back in the trash figuring that's where she wanted it to be. :)

dclark3344

Reaction score
:D I keep everything indefinitely. It might be valuable in the next century. How many floor mats do you need and what color? LOL