What's new

Your help needed: Recalling your favorite SSCWN stories/articles/covers

Kate Carr

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello esteemed gentlemen and ladies of AutoCareForum!

I would like to feature your memories and fond recollections of SSCWN in our "debut" issue for 2014.

Did a tip from SSCWN boost your business or help you catch a criminal in the act? I'd love to hear about it!

Or maybe you were one of the original subscribers from the 1970s!

Do you still remember a conversation you had with JJ at a trade show and how it sparked a lightbulb moment for you?

Perhaps you have a framed poster of SSCWN on display at your office?

You can share your memories here, or you can email your thoughts directly to me at katec@sscwn.com. They'll be featured in our January 2014 issue. (You can subscribe to SSCWN by visiting our registration website: www.sscwn.com.)

Cheers,
Kate

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have nothing earthshattering, but have read the SSCWN since probably before JJJ. I am a second generation car washer. My late dad owned or managed a car wash since 1969, and I have been reading SSCWN since the 70s. I have a couple of stories that aren't remarkable, but stand out to me.

I think I won a contest by locating a booth in an overhead picture of the convention floor. The prize was a frameable cover re-print. I picked the "Homer Simpson repairing a pump" issue. I was the one that suggested changing the names on the hat and shirt to mine and my washes name.

At another convention I was walking by the Extrutech booth and was flattered when I saw that they were using a picture of my wall that had been rehabbed with their product. Just a few minutes later I was at the SSCWN booth and saw that same wall in the current issue, but in the "before" state, pretty much showing people "What not to do". I grabbed a copy and headed over to the Extrutech booth and gave it to them. They displayed them side-by-side for the rest of the show.

Me being a lifelong resident of a small town of 10,000, I know a lot of people. My wife (from a city of 175K) thinks I know them all. The kicker was when we were on a canoe trip through the wilderness, 100 miles from home and someone shouted my name. Well, a few years ago I was sitting at a poker machine at Treasure Island in Las Vegas and heard a couple chatting directly behind me. I didn't pay much attention until the man said "Let's just sit next to Pat." I turned around to see JJJ and his wife Colleen. They sat down and within a few minutes my wife popped around the corner, to which I said "Look honey, I bumped into someone I know." I know that's not that much of a stretch since it was the last day of the convention, but we weren't at the convention hotel and most conventioneers had gone home.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Continued:

Anyway, the SSCWN has been a big part of my success, or at least for not failing miserably. This forum has been great as well, and on top of all of the business related benefits I have made some of my best friends in the whole world right here. I plan to retire in 6 years, but have no plans to vacate these two venues nor the friends that I have gained.

Thanks, JJJ, Bill, & now Jackson and Kate.

jprb

Reaction score
I remember an article on car wash security. It had pages of lock modifications, door security, and lots of great ideas on security issues.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The "Uncle Sam" photo. was great as was the layered lock feature. I also think there was something about what to have in a tool box / spare parts list.