What's new

You never know, the results of smart actions

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Some of you remember and got a copy of the book QBQ, which I think is a must read book, I still get his news letter and this month this was his story.

[SIZE=+1]So recently when I was running errands in our fine little town of Brighton, Colorado, and my wife, Karen, sent me a text saying, Your truck is pretty dirty. Go to the QBQ! car wash?I knew exactly what she meant. Here's her story:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Just the evening before she had decided to get her mini-van (she's a true American Mom!) a quick wash. She pulled into My Car Wash of Brighton. She chose the "touchless automatic," paid $6 with her debit card, and drove into the stall. The hoses and sprayers began to twist and spin?and then they stopped. Clearly something was broken as they attacked just one fender for several minutes. Stuck inside the stall, Karen squeezed out of her vehicle and asked the woman waiting behind her to move. After backing out, my wife saw a sign on the wall that read PROBLEMS? CALL THIS NUMBER NOW! She dialed and Greg answered. After asking, "Having problems, Ma'am?" he promised to be there shortly?and he was. Quickly he directed her into a stall with a manual wand with the instruction, "Make sure your windows are up!" He then washed her van, doing a fine job soaping and rinsing, even inside the wheel wells. When finished, he approached Karen and she opened the window saying, "Thank you so much!" He responded with, "Don't go anywhere!" and disappeared. Back in a flash with $6 in cash, he handed it to her and said simply, "Sorry for the trouble, Ma'am. Please come back."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]She will be back. And I will be back. And our family in the area will go there. And if you live within one hundred miles of Brighton, Colorado, you might want to make the drive to My Car Wash on Main Street. Not just to clean your car, but to meet Greg. He's a QBQ! Guy working for a QBQ! Company. And acquiring a name like that isn't very complicated. It only requires a smile, a heart of service, some fast problem-solving, and a bunch of old-fashion courtesy.[/SIZE]
John G. Miller
Author of QBQ! and Flipping the Switch

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good story. This is how I handle the same situation whenever possible.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I pefer to assume the idiot customer did something wrong to cause the problem, whereby I belittle them enough that they're afraid to come back again, let alone call me while I'm watching Friday Night Lights. Not really. lol

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, right up until I look in the validator and realize they were lying to me about having put a $10 in and lost it.

My dad lived in Brighton Colorado, at a flying community called Van Air Village. Cool place to live!

MEP001

Reaction score
Red Baron said:
I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, right up until I look in the validator and realize they were lying to me about having put a $10 in and lost it.
I try to do that too, but last Friday I just couldn't. Someone came up to me and said he put a $5 bill in a bay and he only got two minutes, then he pulled into another bay and put in a $5 bill and only got two minutes again. He wanted his $10 back, and claimed he'd called the number on the door and left a message, which I found out later he hadn't. After I told him I'd check on it and call him since we had his number, he decided to pester the customers using those same two bays, then came to me and said the both told him it did the same thing to them, which was a complete lie - neither customer had even put a $5 bill in, and neither was having any trouble with being short-timed.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I try to do that too, but last Friday I just couldn't. Someone came up to me and said he put a $5 bill in a bay and he only got two minutes, then he pulled into another bay and put in a $5 bill and only got two minutes again. He wanted his $10 back, and claimed he'd called the number on the door and left a message, which I found out later he hadn't. After I told him I'd check on it and call him since we had his number, he decided to pester the customers using those same two bays, then came to me and said the both told him it did the same thing to them, which was a complete lie - neither customer had even put a $5 bill in, and neither was having any trouble with being short-timed.
At that point the customer becomes fully aware that I don't want him to ever set foot on my property again. ;-)

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Bill:

Great story. Customer service wins again. Thanks.

Patrick H. Crowe

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Granted this is not why I offer this type service, however, there exists a definite payback in treating customers this way. They tell everybody about the above and beyond type treatment they received.

I just went to 'what a burger' while in FLa with my family. It's just fast food, but a man named Terry held the door open for us when we arrived. Then while my wife ordered and I sat w/the kids, Terry came over, introduced himself and shook my hand. That's never happened to me at any restaurant! Then my wife wanted a drink refill but the sweet tea she wanted had been taken away from the soda area. Terry said he'd take her cup and get her some. Fabulous personal service!!!

That is service I will not soon forget. That is the way to create customer loyalty.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Everyone knows at least 50 people. Do good for 1 person and you have a good opportunity that person will tell those 50 people all about it. Do the reverse, and you can be certain that person well tell those 50 people all about it. Your actions are your choice.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Waxman:

Great story. Customer service reigns supreme. Business owners who question customers about a reefund of less than $5 are nuts. Many times I've said, prfacticed and told my workers: At any hint of a complaint simply ask: Would you frefer a complete refund or to wash your car agin for free?" It works wonders.

Patrick H. Crowe

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Great story, good advice. That is why I have come to the conclusion that I need to have someone attending my wash on the weekends (busiest days). Whether it is myself or an employee, I think that is one of the biggest keys to creating loyalty.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I think that if you make all of your decisions with the thought that you will be here 35 years down the road, you will make smarter decisions and be more successful.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
^That's a great point.

A big goofy smile and a wave everytime someone drives out of a bay will go a long way to retaining customers.

Red Baron

Reaction score
^That's a great point.

A big goofy smile and a wave everytime someone drives out of a bay will go a long way to retaining customers.
SOP for me. I have to work doubly hard at it coz I know I developed a reputation in this small town for chewing people out. Every single one of them had it coming, but still it wasn't a very smart thing to do.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Red, Same problem here, you might consider throwing a charity event or two which will start to change your imagine.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Well there is a fine line. I don't want to be a pushover, but I will give a customer the benefit of the doubt.

....Until today when I see a customer using my wand as a spear trying to clean out his wheel wells. He can keep his $1.50 :D