What's new

Yet another bill changer query

KleanRide

Reaction score
I've been limping along with a Rowe 2800 (with MARS conversion) but I'm about ready to kick that crap to the curb.

Been researching Hamilton but their dual changer is smaller than the Rowe 2800 and I'm concerned about creating wall gaps that could invite pry bars and chains hooked to truck bumpers.

Checked into Triad because they once advertised a model that would exactly fit a Rowe 2800 wall opening, but it looks like Triad has also been bought by American Changer. Good, bad, otherwise?

Are there any other brands/models with similar dimensions as a Rowe 2800, or should I just hire a mason to come out and "brick in" an opening that would exactly fit the Hamilton?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a hamilton changer and have been real happy with its reliability over the years. Real steady operation and easy to work on if something gets jammed or dirty or breaks ( rare for me ).For myself and others, Randy Nix has been a big help with parts and advice and knows his stuff!!!

That said, get the best piece of equipment you can and hire a mason to make it a professional, solid, long- lasting install. Don't skimp. Think how important your changer is to the operation and decide from that mind-set.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't know how hard it would be to get the hopper to line up, but I've measured and there's room inside for a Hamilton HSH-Q hopper. If your changer's face still looks good you could add a Hamilton hopper, controller, acceptor adapter and harness and leave the rest alone.

KleanRide

Reaction score
I don't know how hard it would be to get the hopper to line up, but I've measured and there's room inside for a Hamilton HSH-Q hopper. If your changer's face still looks good you could add a Hamilton hopper, controller, acceptor adapter and harness and leave the rest alone.
I've thought about that, but just looking at the two machines and the way they're laid out, the Hamilton bill slots are located toward the top of the machine with the change cups at the bottom. On the Rowe all slots and cups are ganged toward the middle of the faceplate.

MEP001

Reaction score
Right, and the bill acceptor can stay where it is, you'd just need to make a shelf for the hopper to sit on where the dispenser and hoppers are now and make or modify the chute to direct the quarters to the payout cup.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Personally I would get you new Hamilton...I have a DRS one for each wash and can't complain. Runs great every time all day long. Hire a good mason get a new machine and call it a day.

MEP001

Reaction score
Personally I would get you new Hamilton...I have a DRS one for each wash and can't complain. Runs great every time all day long. Hire a good mason get a new machine and call it a day.
That would certainly be easier. Wouldn't hurt to have the mason reinforce the wall - I've seen the aftermath of a changer yanked out quite a few times.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I have 2 hamiltion DRS with Mars validators and there the heart of the self serves you just worrie about keeping the hoppers full of change

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Stop wasting your time. Buy the Hamilton, get a mason and forget about it.
Since the 70’s that is all I’ve ever had at my washes with NO problems.
End of story

mikempls

Reaction score
Agreed, Hamilton DRS is a good way to go. We just purchased another location that had two Rowe 2800 machines with Mars. We removed them and hired a mason to adjust the opening to fit the DRS. It took the guy about 4 hours to do his work.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Agreed, Hamilton DRS is a good way to go. We just purchased another location that had two Rowe 2800 machines with Mars. We removed them and hired a mason to adjust the opening to fit the DRS. It took the guy about 4 hours to do his work.
Good to know. Did he have to add more block/brick or just fill the gaps with mortar?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
So my first location had a BC 2800 in it. We welded a 3 to 4" metal frame around the machine so that it filled the gap left by the rowe machine. The frame and the machine is welded to angle iron inside the equipment room.

mikempls

Reaction score
Good to know. Did he have to add more block/brick or just fill the gaps with mortar?
My apologies, we actually had two Rowe BC1400 side by side machines. I removed both machines and then the mason guy removed the narrow section of block that separated the two machines. He added one row of block at the base and then some half blocks vertically to get the proper width. Sounds like a lot more work than it really is.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Thanks guys, all good info.

Is there any aftermarket value for the Rowe 2800? I'm sure someone smarter than me could refurb it and make good use of it.

Randy

Reaction score
It’s pretty common knowledge here on the Forum that I sell and service Hamilton changers/ACW’s and Mars validators. With that being said and also as a car wash owner I’d replace the Rowe changer with a Hamilton DRS. Do it right and get a mason in to adjust the wall opening so it looks like a professional installation. You’ll be a lot happier with a new DRS than with a converted Rowe changer. That is little or no value in a used Rowe changer, I won't take them in on trade anymore. There worth what ever you can get for them.

MEP001

Reaction score
Thanks guys, all good info.

Is there any aftermarket value for the Rowe 2800? I'm sure someone smarter than me could refurb it and make good use of it.
If you gave me the 2800 I'd separate the stainless from the steel, recycle the cabinet, and throw the rest in the dumpster. I'm working with someone now who leased a wash with two BC1400s and only considered putting a Hamilton hopper and controller in it because his lease won't allow him to modify the building to replace the changers. It already had one Etowah Valley bill acceptor in one and I converted the other, and I had the good sense to chunk the old transport in the trash rather than burden someone else with it.

Randy

Reaction score
If you don’t have a source for used/low cost Hamilton components it’s almost not cost effective to retrofit a Rowe changer cabinet over to a Hamilton. Relay kit, harness, hopper, controller, brackets, power box you’re pushing $1750 - $2000.

MEP001

Reaction score
Using Kleen-Rite pricing:

$475 for controller
$100 for harness
$575 for hopper
Guessing $100 for hopper stand bracket
$75 for Etowah Valley Mars to Hamilton adaptor
Misc hardware for hopper modification
Don't need the power box, just the filter ($30)

Easily under $1400 per unit.

Eric H

Reaction score
You may have already been swayed towards the Hamilton DRS unit but I replaced my BC2800 with a Triad machine with the Mars recycler validators and haven't has any issues except 2 jammed bills in 2.5 years. I think American is still building and supporting the Triad line and wouldn't hesitate in buying another. The owner of Triad now works for American