What's new

Yes I closed... details

Reaction score
Troubles in Florida

Just heard from a friend in Florida that Doug(Bens Dad) boarded up his carwash and threw in the towel.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Really?

Just heard from a friend in Florida that Doug(Bens Dad) boarded up his carwash and threw in the towel.

Hated his politics, but sorry to hear that his business went under. He closed his tunnel and his self-serve?

MEP001

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, he hasn't posted here in over a month.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Well, I hate to see anyone fail, but he had such a negative attitude about business etc. that it might have been difficult to handle the day to day BS that is totally normal in business.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Called his car wash business phone- no answer. perhaps somone has his email.

I hate to hear that. I know we gave him a hard time (and he gave us a hard time) but I certainly wouldn't wish this on him.

Bill, I don't know what his attitude towards his business and customers were, but central Florida is taking a real beating right now in revenue. 25%+ down according to some I know. As you know, Florida was a R.E bubble state and will pay a heavy price before all this housing stuff blows over.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Doug seemed to have a lot on his plate with his work at the hospital, death of his sister, adding the self serve to his conveyor. Running a conveyor car wash is a full time business. It does not run itself.

Maybe he just took on too much at one time. Sometimes when we put ourselves on overload things break down.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I'm sure he'll blame President Bush and the GOP for his business failing.

JK Xpress

Reaction score
The main factor behind a business failing (public or private) is management.

Yes economic factors play into things but management needs to adjust and adapt to economic cycle changes.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have his email and will attempt to contact him right now.

John Racine

Chemical & Equipment Dist
Reaction score
Operating in Michigan and watching operators loose there business everday is difficult. Some of these operators did an fantastic job putting together there washes only to see the hard economic times hit this state. Should they have forcasted that the price of fuel was going to reach $4.35 per gallon and take every bit of disposable income away from many famlies. I don't thimk so. Could they have anticipated the banks were going to tighten up the way they have. I don't think so. Many outside factors out of the control of management can make or break a business. Over 35 years in the gas, convenience, car wash business i've see many talented operators loose there business because of factors out of there control. Just my 2 cents

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I emailed Doug.

Yes, he has closed. He is doing fine.:eek:

I won't discuss details here and will leave it up to him if he chooses to do so.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Well, after 7 years I'm moving on. When business takes more than it gives you and there seems to be no clear end in sight, it is foolish to continue to pump money into it. So I decided to close up and make a living where my & my wife talents are better used, and where we can earn a living.

Last Saturday I laid off all of my employees, turned off the power and closed the tunnel. On Sunday I closed the SS. I've been working with my bank to restructure the loan (they won't do it 5 months ago when I was able to pay the mortgage) and now we're working on a deed in lue. The properties have been for sale and no serious offers are out there. Other car washes in central Florida are also closing. I won't mention which ones... you can find out easily enough. My closest competitor a few weeks ago called me and asked if I was slow.... he said he was only washing 15 cars a day, on that day he washed 1 car by noon (it was sunny)!

I have spoken to a lot of business people, bankers, politicians and customers. In this area, we're not looking at a recovery anytime soon. Our housing slow down started in November 2006, which corresponded exactly with my business slow down and has continued. This has only gotten worse this year with gas prices and the foreclosure crisis. In 2007 I was off 12% in revenue but this year I am off by over 40%. July has rained every day (nearly 3/4 of the days) before 11 AM... this "sealed the deal" for me. It was as if God was saying "I'm going to make sure that you move on". It rained every day last week.... even on Saturday as I closed. After I made the decision to close... IT HASN'T RAINED until today during the day time! So nearly a month straight of rain, over 40% down for the year, the economy down with no clear end and I don't want to expend what I have left in reserves betting on it coming back by Spring.... my business sense tells me to get out!

cont.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
In 2 years, some lucky smuck will buy my sites from the bank at 20 cents on the dollar! Hopefully we will have moved toward a more reliable source of fuel (less volatile in the economic markets) and build AMERICAN CARS that keeps our economy growing here in the US... not overseas.

I have had a lot of community support. A lot of friends and other business owners are sad to see this business go. But it's a risk we take as entrepreneurs. I spoke last Monday night at our City Council meeting about the importance of supporting local small businesses, then told them that I would be soon closing. It was a heart wrenching scene as I knew many of these people for years. A few weeks earlier I traveled to Tallahassee to see Governor Charlie Crist and met with one of his aides. I spoke of my disappointment that the Governor has done little for small businesses here in Florida, not even addressing our housing crisis. I met with representatives from Senator Bill Nelson's office last Friday also to see if there can be a bill to help out small business instead of the bail out of the big corporations, or grants to aid small business.... something to help. Seems the Government only care to help out the big guys, not us. I called all of my Representatives, tried everything I could, but in the end, I had to move on. They will spend billions on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Indy Mac, Bears Stearns and GM (soon) but not mom and pop.= who employee 80% of Americans. A recent business survey from last month said the 86% of small business said that the "government did little to nothing to help them". Only 8% said that they planned on hiring employees in August!

cont.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
So, after having business since I was 16 years old.... I'm taking a hiatus! There's not enough benefit presently in owning a business for me. I built a car wash to fulfill my wife's dream, we did it... it was successful and did well... but I can't control the down turn in the economy, and without growth in this area of Florida most businesses can not survive, not just car washes. Central Florida has to recover in the form of growth and until it does, business will be tight for most.

I met a lot of nice people here. Take care.

Doug

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Doug...

I probably speak for many when I wish you the absolute best of good fortune, excellent health & good spirits, and much happiness in your next endeavor.

-Steve

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Yes, we will miss the post from you, so you might check in once in awhile to just shake things up a bit and keep us informed. Any lessons learned from disaster that doesn't kill you is for the good.

Good luck.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Yes Doug, you kept things lively around here at times. I wish you well.

Maybe when the dust settles and you have emotional energy, you could post some lessons learned- wisdom for the prospective car wash investor.

Good Luck

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Doug,
I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading your posts, we do not agree on a lot as far as politics but I do have a lot of respect for everyone and their opinions.
I wish you and your family the best .