What's new

yellow pages adv.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I had a salesperson talk to me about advertising, I politely said no, but our area now has 4 phone books,--- at my apts. It seems like i am always throwing away a new phone that no one picks up. Does anyone adv. this way, it seems like a big waste of money when you can get on google bus. for free. Phone books are another dinosaur still roaming the earth. For business listings in the U.S. i use this google number for free directory assistance 800-466-4411. It's automated so i have to try and hide the ND accent.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree that phone books are dinosaurs. I can't remember the last time I used the yellow pages. I very seldom even use the white pages.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Phone books in general will be obsolete soon enough. I would never adv. in any phone book.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a salesperson talk to me about advertising, I politely said no, but our area now has 4 phone books,--- at my apts. It seems like i am always throwing away a new phone that no one picks up. Does anyone adv. this way, it seems like a big waste of money when you can get on google bus. for free. Phone books are another dinosaur still roaming the earth. For business listings in the U.S. i use this google number for free directory assistance 800-466-4411. It's automated so i have to try and hide the ND accent.
Forget yellow pages ads.

Good luck hiding your accent. :cool:

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
John & others,

Just a heads up. I wonder what google's criteria is for getting on the automated voice's list? I said car washes --- Fargo North Dakota & your Whale of a Wash did not make the list of 8 names of your competitors that I had to listen to. So I tried car washes ---Bismarck, North Dakota & do think that @#&$ would mention my business ---Noo-oo. Zilch with Laundromat too. It actually included the hospital industrial laundry & not mine! There must be a conspiracy!!!

Lesson learned --- new is not always better! How many potential customers are going to our competitors because (in my opinion) their terrible terrible mistake not including us --- or is it a win some lose some situation?

When google routed the phone number for me it became a long distance number unless I have free long distance for the area I am calling. I reminds me of reading in the news about people surprised at getting phone charges even though they called an toll free 800 number initially --- with the callee doing the actual dialing to whoever. The phone & caller ID behaves just as if the caller had not gone through the callee at all. Voice recognition is still a little on the shaky side it to rely on it too heavily.

MJ

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
try self serve car wash fargo ND. It finds me then. I use it because they don't charge anything. i think dir.assisstance is a $1-2 maybe you need to get on google business mike and get listed as it's free. I tried self serve car wash orange ,ma, top listing (house of wax).