What's new

Wyndstar door problem with motors

mfbanks223

Reaction score
I had 2 Wyndstar doors installed 20 months ago. Overall I have been very happy with my doors. I keep my exit door closed year long so it opencs and closes all day. My entrance door only gets used about 20 days a year only when it's real cold outside. Well this year I go to use my entrance door and it does not work. Of course I have to call some on to repair and the motor is out and ends up costing me $1300 for repair. Has anybody else had any issues and is Wyndstar doing anything for them?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
We have 5 Wyndstars, all older than yours. We have had very few problems with them. So far we have had one banner photoeye go bad, one get stolen and one bad circuit board which they warrantied. The most recent problem we had was the on-board fuse got blown. That put the door out of commision for a week because nobody carries them. Even Grainger only keeps them at a handful of stores. I would suggest you order a few for your spare parts shelf.

Are you certain the motor was bad and not just the drive board?

mfbanks223

Reaction score
Not Sure if it was a board I had a dealer do the repair. They did not cover mine under warranty or the dealer did not try to go to bat for me. The thing that bothers me is the doors are crazy expensive anyway and to only get 2 years out of a motor that never gets used which could be the problem. I appreciate the info also by the way.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like alot for just a motor.

Why can't you change out a motor yourself? It's pretty easy on my doors and carwash equipment; not sure about yours...

mfbanks223

Reaction score
Some sort of board motor combo. Trouble shooting was the problem for me on just throwing parts at it. It took the dealer 3 different trips to figure out. The price was labor and part.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
still too much money. if a tech needs to troubleshoot and make 3 trips either he stinks or door is too complex.

Rudy

Reaction score
I have a set of WyndStar doors that were very, very early in the production run (first 200 made). My doors have an external control panel connected via a tether to the motor.

This year, after 7 years of flawless heavy usage, the bottom bearing went bad. As you now know, the control circuitry is now integrated with the motor, hence the $1300 price tag.

I was fortunate. A local motor repair shop replaced the bearing for about $75 bucks....and I'm back running steady.

The external panel takes up room....but I prefer the setup since I can replace the components easily. Things like contactors are easily sourced and repaired....as compared to the integral control panel which is proprietary in nature.

If the control panel is OK, and it's just the motor....see if a local motor shop can rebuild your motor.

BTW....the motor setup is made by Ovitor. This is probably a link to the motor setup you have:

http://www.ovitor.fi/files/product/STA_sec_RUS_ENG_v12.pdf

sparkey

Reaction score
Is your opener single phase? Does it look like this

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ar+wash+door+opener&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I used to have single phase openers and had a lot of issues with them and the short life span. I ended up going with 3 phase openers and they work a lot better. If it is like the opener in the picture the earlier models they had a lot of problems with the capicitors getting water in them and taking the capicitors out. The problem is suppose to be fixed now.

toddmullens

Reaction score
I had 2 Wyndstar doors installed 20 months ago. Overall I have been very happy with my doors. I keep my exit door closed year long so it opencs and closes all day. My entrance door only gets used about 20 days a year only when it's real cold outside. Well this year I go to use my entrance door and it does not work. Of course I have to call some on to repair and the motor is out and ends up costing me $1300 for repair. Has anybody else had any issues and is Wyndstar doing anything for them?
I had some issues with a 3 phase motor(control board mounted on the motor) on a Wyndstar door this week where the door was in a bind and caused the motor to overheat. I let the motor cool and it still wouldn't work. I eventually had to bypass the thermal overload connection on the control board in order to get the motor to work and raise the door. I don't imagine it will last much longer as it appeared to be straining to raise the door the first few times after I bypassed the thermal overload. The doors are probably 3 years old, if that. I would expect them to last much longer, but I guess they can't help it if the door is in a bind while it was trying to lower or raise. All I know is that the motor was smoking hot! Does anybody know if the motor can be repaired after such excessive heat?

Rudy

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck finding a source for the motor, or gearbox setup for their Wyndstar doors? Mine are still going strong....however....I'm always planning ahead trying to find spares ahead of the dreaded weekend breakdown. Rytec charges an arm and a leg. Just the motor is $1100.

I'm having a hard time finding a commercial/industrial door operator that fits over our 1" slotted stainless shafts. It shouldn't be brain surgery, but most of the sources are European.

Does anyone have a US source for a door operator that will operate a 1" shaft?

Turbo

Reaction score
Rudy,

Did you ever find a motor at a reasonable price?

I am looking for one or two

Thanks

Turbo

Rudy

Reaction score
No I didn't. I remember calling Airlift Doors, and I think the gearbox/limit switch head assembly was around $250. I was toying with the idea of getting their gearbox, and then getting my own motor. Motors can be had cheaply on eBay (I'm running 208V 3phase). I wasn't sure what kind of interface (56C?) the XRS gearbox required. You might give them a call. They're very friendly. FWIW, I replaced my panels with the XRS panels....and couldn't be happier. Saved a lot of $$$$$.