What's new

WW2.0 blowing breaker

Reds

Reaction score
The breaker inside my ECC panel that is labeled "Gantry & presoak motors" is blowing erratically. After I turn the breaker back on it will wash anywhere from 3 to 16 cars and trip again. Usually after putting presoak on car. I tried running 6 wheel tests in a row and it did not trip the breaker. Then I ran my presoak motor for at least 5 minutes and it did not trip. No motors or gearboxes got hot when testing. The only error message was " tried resetting 3 times. Manual reset required". It seems like everytime I leave the breaker blows in an hour or two. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? If it was a motor it should have blown when I ran them. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Probably gettting presoak IN the gantry motors over time, causing VFD faults or short large enough to trip breaker.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
No idea, but I guess it's time to see how many amps the various items are drawing. Could just be a bad breaker.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you have gantry motor/gearbox and pump that applies presoak on one breaker, you have to isolate each one and like cfcw says test the amp draw for each one.

check the simple things first; is there adequate gear oil in the gearbox? could be a bad wire connection inside motor. could be something getting wet. could be a bad breaker.

Reds

Reaction score
There is a so called energy chain where my hoses and electrical cables carry the power to my gantry. There was a worn cable that was touching the metal frame of the energy chain every now and then. That's why it would go 3 to 12 washes and then blow. We cut, spliced, taped, shrink wraped, and covered the cable with that curly Q hose wrap. I will keep an eye on it and if it wears again I will have to replace that 40' cable that carries my 3 phase power to the VFD's and gantry panel. The break in the cable was at the beginning of the energy chain where the cable should not be moving. So I can only assume that vibration and the movement of the energy chain caused it to rub just a little. The rubbed part was only 1/4" long.