What's new

WW1.0 Boom won't drop on HP

Ayerule

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm loosing my mind here.

The boom drops correctly on presoak, but with any high pressure pass, the boom only drops about six inches then goes back up. For the front and the rear of car.
After the boom comes back up, the gantry waits for a while until continuing with the wash. Almost like it's counting the boom time. There are no errors on the Red Lion either.

So far, I've:
Replaced safety eyes and wires.
Replaced height eyes and wires.
Tested signal strength of eyes.
Checked rail guides.
Checked, both belts and alignment of the boom.
Replaced all boom proxes.
Tested all boom proxes. The proxes light and light at the card in the cabinet on the gantry appropriately.
Greased guide poles.

High pressure does not push away from proxes that I can see. No flicker of lights.
Same issue for all washes. Programmed to in the 30's, 20's, even tested the 10's (or pre-programmed) washes.

Only thing I can think of is maybe the spray from high pressure is obstructing the safety eyes and it kicks back up?
If that's the case, I don't know how to approach it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just had an error on my machine ( side trac ) where the breakaway prox was losing signal briefly. I think as my machine wears, the rotate motion under high pressure was wiggling the breakaway plate just enough to cause a short signal interruption.

If that is happening on your wash can you do what I did and adjust the proxes in question a bit closer to the target?

Ayerule

Reaction score
No joy.

I’ve adjusted the boom height proxes to where they almost rub and watched them during a wash. Nothing flickers, the boom either goes down six inches or not at all.

This may be unrelated, but now my enter and wait lights don’t work.
Also, sometimes the wash will start before the car enters.

It’s making me think that there’s a short somewhere along the treadle eye lines causing all of this. I‘m ordering new wires for everything today.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The hold that you describe when the boom goes home but the wash waits sounds like an eye is seeing something.
The old 110V entrance lights have a terminal that is bad about getting corroded inside the sign box. Try them in the test screen.
As you mention, sounds like those treadle eyes are a potential problem too.

Gremlins on the wizard can be real fun at times. Good Luck! I'm chasing one now on a 2.0 with the count proxes.

Ayerule

Reaction score
Well..

Ordered new wires, sensors and extra parts.
The enter and wait lights had a corroded wire.
Treadle eyes had frogs living in the case. Why it randomly started early and didn’t have the undercarriage fire.

Replaced all boom proxes and wires.
Replaced wires and proxes for treadle and undercarriage.
Replaced measurement eyes and wires.
Ordered both LT100HLTB58J-CC and LT110TS58J Telco eyes as I didn’t know what the difference was.
Switched between both eyes in the cans thinking the spray from hp was blocking the eyes. No joy.
One of the spare parts was a Telco amplifier for the can and measurement eyes. I experimented swapping it out and voila. Apparently the amplifier was bad for the measurement eyes but all the lights still lit up.
So far so good. Thanks guys!

At least now I have a bunch of extra parts