What's new

WW Unloader/pressure relief valve

DJGall

Dirty Dawg
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to replace the unloader/pressure relief valve that's in line right after the pump. I have a brand new one in hand. Did I dream that something internally has to be removed from the unloader before installation??

It's been so long since I replaced the unloader, I can't remember. Am I crazy?

DD

MEP001

Reaction score
An unloader has a check valve in the outlet fitting. You wouldn't need that check valve for your application. I assume it's like the smaller versions where you unscrew the portion of the outlet fitting that has a hex for a wrench to remove the spring and poppet.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, those parts are the spring and poppet. The o-ring will be on the poppet.

DJGall

Dirty Dawg
Reaction score
Thanks MEP!! I don't know what made me remember to do this, but I'm glad I asked. How did you know about this? I can't find it in my WW1.0 documentation, the manufacturer's documentation, or anywhere else.

Thanks!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Most likely a mfr. is not going to tell you this, because it will let you know that you can go anywhere else and buy this same part for a fraction of the price.

MEP001

Reaction score
If someone uses an unloader on a SS bay, I usually recommend the same thing. Unloaders are primarily for gas pressure-washers with a shut-off gun so the pump and motor will idle with no pressure while not in use. Gutting the outlet check assembly basically removes an unneeded part that has a chance to fail and cause problems.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
The unloader mechanism can really come in handy if your machine freezes up. It would protect the pump from overheating as fast. Coleman, for some reason, decides to put only the pressure gauge on the outlet of the unloader though. So the check valve would make the pressure gauge get stuck and never drain back down. That is why you need to delete it on that machine.