What's new

WS II log in via hyperterminal

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
In the past I have have decent luck logging into my WS II via hyperterminal. Lately I can't make it work. It looks as though a newer version of hyperterminal was installed on my computer. Could that be the problem? At time I can get to the page asking for the password but that page just kind of rambles on its own with garb and then finally times out.

Any suggestions?

Reds

Reaction score
Are you running Windows Vista? If so, you need to find the two hyperterminal files program files from previous versions of Windows and install them. If you are running XP I have no suggestions.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Ric,

Try another PC and that will tell you which end is bad. However, from what you are saying, it sounds like the link is erroring (bit errors). Try calling it with the phone and listen to the tones when it answers...do they sound clear? If not, try from a different phone line (at your friends place) and see how it sounds. If it still sounds bad then you may have a problem with your line at the wash. Check your wiring and call the phone company if all looks good. However I must say that it has to be really bad as the low speed protocols used in the connection are very robust. BTW, you are not using a Voip line, correct?

The other thing you can do is dial in with hyperterminal and once the WSII modem answers, type +++ That will break the modem out of communications mode and into command mode. The type ATI1 and return, then ATI2 and return and so on until you get the connection info. That will tell you what protocol, speed, compression etc used. That will give you some insight on what the connection is like. Cut and past that and post it here...I'll interpret it for you.

Big

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I have an alarm system with a 300 baud modem and sometimes I can't log into it, as some PC modems can't go that slow or something. I have actually used an old slow exterior modem to make it work.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bill,

Right, but the modems used in the Unitec WSII are new modems with init strings (configuration) set to low data rates for better reliability and simplicity (shorter hand shakes).

In Ric's case they are handshaking and drop into communications mode, so that's not the problem From his description it sounds like noise or compression (VOIP).

Big

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I am not using a voip service. Up until a month or two ago I have not had a problem. The version of hyperterminal looks different on my pc than it has in the past. Like Microsoft upgraded it during one of their upgrade downloads. That's the only thing that I can see that has changed. I checked all my phone connections at the wash today and they looked good. I can still call into my WashWorld iba via my pc/dial up. But that does not use hyperterminal to complete the call. I am also not having any problems processing credit cards at the Unitec and at my credit card to token changer. All these things lead me to believe that the phone lines are okay. My next step is to try dialing in from a different pc.