What's new

WS II dispenses too much back

trentu

Reaction score
I have a WS II that will consistently dispense too many dollars back on the second wash when a 20 is used (it can be from 1 to 4 too many back). I have 4 WS IIs and only have this repeatable problem on this one, changed the hopper with another one and the problem stays with the unit. Did a memory reset and reprogramed and same problem. Unitec support said "Stop taking the $20".....I was like let me go buy a car and if the windows don't work just stop using the windows? Anyway, anyone ever seen this and have a fix? One of my other WS IIs dispenses too many quaters occasionally but it is not as reproducable or consistent. Thanks for any help.

Russ

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
Russ, I had a simaler problem with my WS11. I changed out the main operating chip. End of problem. The software version was 5.50 which is the latest. I have an older 5.30 ver. chip that is good. You are welcome to if you want it. G

trentu

Reaction score
I am using 5.30. Is that the version you had the problem with or was it 5.50 that gave you problems? Thanks

Russ

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
I had trouble with 5.50. But I converted to 5.50 from a good 5.30 because I'm using the wash pay system and had to upgrade my server software. When I upgraded the server, that software was not compatible with the 5.30. So the 5.30 is good. I would recomend not resetting the WS11 when doing the software change. I don't care what they tell you, don't do it. Just turn the power off, replace the chip, then turn the power back on. DON'T REBOOT. That's what I did when I changed to 5.50 and then had to reenter all the names prices, etc. on one machine and left the other and didn't reboot the second machine. I had trouble with the rebooted machine and the un booted machine worked fine! Go figure. Hope this helps. I was so freaking mad. The rebooted machine was giving back 45.00 in change, said the hopper was out of coins and the printer was out of paper. It was completly out of control. I have a friend that is one of the best IT guy's in the country, he figured it out. I now know why he make's the big bucks. Things like reconfiguring a router, setting up office networks and making them safe, is like changing the channel with the remote to him.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Hey you guys jogged my memory- I now remember about three years ago a problem with mine. IIRC it was spontaneously dumping coins. I had to replace what they referred to as the "pic chip.'

DivineSuccess

Reaction score
I had this happening to my WS2 and I took the hopper apart and cleaned it but same problem. So I took the wire off the back of the hopper cleaned the contacts and it has been working fine ever since.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Unitec support said "Stop taking the $20".....
Funny they said that. I would have grabbed the person's name and ran that up the flagpole within their company asking how doing this solves the problem.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have a friend that is one of the best IT guy's in the country, he figured it out. I now know why he make's the big bucks. Things like reconfiguring a router, setting up office networks and making them safe, is like changing the channel with the remote to him.
So are you saying it was a networking problem!? That doesn't make sense as it could only be a electrical, mechanical or SW problem. TCP/UDP IP doesn't come into the picture.

BTW, setting up office networks, making them safe are common skills sets and requires little education or knowledge. Running a carwash with an IBA requires far more and well rounded skill set.

BigLeo

jenward

Reaction score
Russ,
We suspect the PIC chip, but need more information before your issue can be properly diagnosed. Not taking 20's would only be a temporary fix. Please call into our technical support department at 443-561-1200 with your software version and we'll work with you to correctly diagnose the problem.
Thank you,
Jennifer Ward
Unitec Electronics

Charles Ho

Multi-Site Operator
Reaction score
Make sure it's NOT your coin chute shortchanging the previous customer(s). The old flat sliding instead of rolling coin chute can get dirty and start accummulating coins.

trentu

Reaction score
Sorry for never circling back on this, got in touch with their tech support when I could finally repeatedly reproduce the problem on one machine. They had me upgrade the software and haven't had any problems since.

As an aside since you monitor this forum Jen, can I just call and request a software upgrade? I have a unitec that has been running for about 6 years on original chips and sometimes strange things happen. Thanks

jenward

Reaction score
Trentu,
Yes, your distributor can always call and get a software upgrade for you on any of your Unitec systems. Please note, however, that there is a software upgrade charge.
Thanks,
Jennifer

trentu

Reaction score
Well crap, I upgraded to the new CC readers (love them btw) and have since been having this same issue......too many coins back on occasion. Very hard to reproduce but we have 3 WS IIs at this busy location and are losing upwards of $200 a month. Have had customers tell us it gave too much change back and have reproduced it occasionally, Unitec had us swap boards, swap pic chips, and upgrade code, no fix yet. I will try the cable on the back idea, what was the spring and fix to it? Thanks

Russ

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I suppose the hopper switch has been adjusted/changed? I think that in Hamiltons this can be an issue