What's new

Wrong Vac Hose

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
How many times have you had this happen?

Customer puts $$ in vac...vac turns on...they fail to see the giant neon arrow pointing to the hose they should use and pick up the wrong one (dual side vac). Sooo they stomp up to the front of the wash and tell me my vac "ripped them off". I can almost tell this is the situation before I get out to the vac island. THIS is where it gets tough...its hard to politely just hand them the other hose and say "here ya go" without making them feel stupid. I usually tell them "this is an easy problem to fix and say it happens all the time". Smile and thank them for coming out.

I also hate that when something goes wrong they use the phrase "IT RIPPED ME OFF!!!!"...it can't possibly be a malfunction (equipment or user)...it has to be our motivation to always be trying to rip them off.

MEP001

Reaction score
I used to have customers come to me all the time saying the shampooer wouldn't work. I'd go flip the switch on the brush and it would come on. I'd do the same, say "It happens a lot" and add some time for them for what they lost. It always makes them happy.

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
Ditto...drop in a quarter or two and tell them its to cover the time they spent walking all the way up.

I feel better, strength in numbers and what not.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Ditto...drop in a quarter or two and tell them its to cover the time they spent walking all the way up.

I feel better, strength in numbers and what not.
Because it is usually a new customer --- the above is the best approach. That does not mean that we can't have some "fun" by telling them the machine is a "literacy machine" with just a tiny bit of a smirk ---- especially if the arrow & sign wording was as good as possible.

MJ

MEP001

Reaction score
Why say something to a customer that belittles them?

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
I have no problem asking someone to stop doing something disruptive, damaging, or against the rules...they may not like it but they almost always get what I am saying. People do not like being told what to do...especially since I am somewhat young....they HATE being made to feel stupid (truth be told I do too). I just stick with a smile, and "hey that is what we are here for...we have attendants on duty for just this situation!" If I know them I will give them a hard time here and there...only because I know they can give it as good as they can take it.

fixitdaddy

Reaction score
reply to "ripped off customer"

WHAT ARE YOU ##@@** STUPID ONLY A COMPLETE MORON WOULDN'T JUST TRY THE OTHER HOSE, EVEN A MONKEY WOULD KNOW BETTER THAN THAT. I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU EVEN MADE IT HERE WITH OUT HITTING SOME THING OR SOMEBODY ON THE DRIVE HERE.

Naaa just kidding I tell them it happens all the time and add money to it for their inconvenience making sure it was over the amont they had put in to begin with, and tell them to have a great day. Above is what we are all thinking :)