What's new

Writing Down Goals

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My investment guy came by Monday to 'talk about my 2009 goals'.

I wasn't thrilled about the idea at all.

I thought things like:"buddy, we're in a recession. My goal in 2009 is survival!" and "writing down goals is useless, a waste of time, etc.".

He got here and said:" Many clients resist writing down their goals, think it's foolish, a waste of time, say their goal is to survive or make more than they did last year or something generic." "But what I've found is that writing them down has the effect of making them tangible and real and often writing them down makes them become reality."

So I got some goals written down; 90 day ones, half year and 1 year goals. I wrote things about my family, my music career, business of course, and money. Surprisingly, the act of writing down my goals felt really good! It put them foremost in my mind and it gives me more than a vague idea of where I'm headed in business and in life.

We shall see how things turn out in 2009. But I have some goals .

pitzerwm

Reaction score
They say you can't go somewhere without a map. Conceptually it make a lot of sense and everyone should do it. I'm ADD and many entrepreneurs are ADD, and don't know it. We have a problem focusing on the future and I readily admit that I have never set a goal in my life. I sometimes wonder where I'd be if I had accomplished that. I agree that you should do it if you can force yourself to do it.

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
Hey, Waxman--

Do write down your business goals for the year like I did last year. I was never into "written goals" for most of my life, but it does focus your attention on longer term accomplishments instead of all the "right now" decisions you have to make in business every day. You can also share your business goals with your staff so they know what is expected of them. In fact ask them to give some input to what you expect your organization to do for the year. You will be surprised at how they buy in and will accept your "business goals" as their own when at work. And they have good ideas and input too. Quality of work goes up and personal satisfaction makes them smile and your customer will smile too.

I will say from experience that the Half-Pint Junior vendor we just introduced would never have been of the quality it is without input from my staff. We, as owners, focus on the 'big picture" while the staff can focus on the nitty-gritty details that make everything work like it was designed to do in your "dreams".

Uncle Sam :cool:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
From a Seth Godin's Blog

The thing about goals

Having goals is a pain in the neck.
If you don't have a goal (a corporate goal, a market share goal, a personal career goal, an athletic goal...) then you can just do your best. You can take what comes. You can reprioritize on a regular basis. If you don't have a goal, you never have to worry about missing it. If you don't have a goal you don't need nearly as many excuses, either.
Not having a goal lets you make a ruckus, or have more fun, or spend time doing what matters right now, which is, after all, the moment in which you are living.
The thing about goals is that living without them is a lot more fun, in the short run.
It seems to me, though, that the people who get things done, who lead, who grow and who make an impact... those people have goals.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear, Dear Waxman:

I realize that to many folks this will sound trival, saracatic and maybee even arrogant. So be it.

Whenever some nearly illiterate fool ask me to write "DOWN" anyhting, I bristle. That's simple because the person making this request is almost illiterate, isn't he/she?

A person does NOT write "Down" things, how could he/she? Nor does he/she write "Up" things, right?

I'm not, by any means a literary scholar. When my proof readers want to argue over the placement of commas, I stop them. Still, you can be GD sure I neither write up nor down. Public education in the USA has reached a new low, hasn't it? Write up uour response, no, write down your response.

Please save your money and send your children to quality private schools because the folks licensed to teach in the public schools, not all but most, could no more pass second year Calculus than they could fly, right?

Patrick H. Crowe

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
My wife and I have always put our goals somewhere visual. For me it was never enough to just have a list of what my monthly, bi-annual, and annual goals were. I had to put them somewhere where I would see them. If you really want to take your goals seriously, post them everywhere. I have mine posted in my bathroom, kitchen, above the television, both my vehicles and at the wash. It helps to reinforce where I see myself and gives me something to look forward to.

I attribute our goal setting to being able to buy our car wash when we were only 26. It literally was the 'perfect storm' for us to get the right price, financing, and down payment. I am a huge advocate of goal setting and hope that this will help you in realizing all the things that you want at the wash.

jfmoran

Reaction score
You know what Pat, you are right, the other thing they have a problem with is SPELLING! Good thing my kids are homeschooled. You are one arrogant ass. LMAO

John

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Writing down goals and a proposed plan is a good idea. I think a plan is like a roadmap. You're more likely to get to your destination if you map it out, instead of meandering about

Having said that, I've been meandering for about three years now :)

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Very rarely have I met all the goals I set out to reach, but I have never been disappointed by where I ended up. It may sound like one of those inspirational posters at the dentist, but my grandpa always told me: 'reach for the stars, but be happy when you make it to the moon.'

MEP001

Reaction score
Patrick H. Crowe said:
I realize that to many folks this will sound trival, saracatic and maybee even arrogant. So be it.
You should begin more posts with that.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Having goals to accomplish, is so important, Not such big goals that they can't be accomplished, But just goals, or benchmarks in your business. In college a teacher talked about goals. His biggest comment was that a person puts more planning into a vacation than they put into their life!!!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for contributing your thoughts on goal-setting.. I think this is a very good thread.

However, Pat Crowe; what the heck are you talking about? Out of the whole idea of this post you chose to focus on semantics??? Um, Oooookay.

I think you may have lost some credibility with that response. JMNSHO.:eek:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Choose a destination

In order to make progress, you must know exactly where you intend to go. Choose a clear and specific destination, and then you can get busy going there. Having a vague idea of where you want to go is not going to do you any good. Know exactly where you desire to be and you're already well on your way there.
The dreams that are compelling are the dreams that will motivate you to take whatever action is necessary. And the most compelling dreams are the ones with rich and meaningful details.
The goals you will achieve are the goals you can fully describe. Give real life and substance to your goals and you'll quickly begin to realize them.
You can choose any destination you wish for your life. So choose one that thrills you and compels you to be the best you can be.
Delight in the rich details of where you are headed. And you'll work your way steadily there.
-- Ralph Marston

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool; thanks Bill.

This site is something I regularly check out and it often gives me a needed boost.:D