What's new

Would you rehab this equipment or buy new.

APW

Reaction score
I am buying another site that has been shutdown for sometime. The site is an hour drive one way from my house. I want something dependable so I am not always working on it. That being said would you rehab or install new SS equipment.

lilb93

Reaction score
It's all stainless , so it's looks. I would check it out and rebuild what needs to be replaced. you can do it a lot cheaper than new equipment.

mac

Reaction score
same thought. If you are going to do improvements, do them where the customers will see them.

Randy

Reaction score
I would rehab it. It looks like it's all pretty much there and in not to bad of condition. I find that a lot of distributors will want to replace equipment rather than repair it.

Reaction score
Looks like KIP manifold blocks for the solenoids. They are easy to disassemble and clean so that is good. Cat pumps are worth rebuilding for sure. What else is there? Maybe some hydrominders to rebuild or low pressure pumps? Waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than replacement.

APW

Reaction score
What about the injection feed for the HP functions. Is there much trouble with that kind of set up?

MEP001

Reaction score
It's probably not injection feed, they're usually just lines from the soap and wax tanks controlled by solenoids. Very simple and reliable.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I had an old Mark VII proline system (circa 1990) that wasn't stainless steel. The stands got so rusty that they were collapsing and in danger of falling over. I wanted an all new Etowah system that wouldn't take up so much room. It was about 26k for a 3 bay setup. I ended up buying a used Proline system from 1995 (stainless steel) for $4500. I may some mods, threw away a lot of the over engineering, and installed three new Arimitsu pumps. When I had it all ready to install, I called my distributor out to do the swap. We were down about 4 days and I had about 10k total, invested. Your equipment will be fine. SS equipment is like Mexican food, same ingredients, just arranged differently.

water guy

Reaction score
It looks great ! Its up to You if you can Maintain? its easy equipment to take care of.

Sparkleclean

Reaction score
I have a dilling harris 1 bay self serve setup. Like others have said it will be cheaper to rebuild, BUT, you will be field engineering it all as dilling harris doesnt have much for these machines. In fact dilling harris almost doesnt exist. On Mine for example i replaced all those white pumps on the bottom with flojets. From the looks of it i would just replace all of those cat pumps to avoid issues in the future. What are they 500 each?? Parts will run almost that much. One is missing its head even. That alone to me makes it replacable just based on cost. Can you do this? Yes, will it be cheaper? Yes, but you will have a long period of fiddling with it and never really being sure of how long everyhing will last. Maybe have the motors looked at and serviced, i just had one done for 160 each. They strip it down and bake it then shave it and reinsulate it before painting it to look good. Replace the cat pumps with new ones then hope for the best with the electronics. I dont think you can get replacements for those relay boxes between the kip valves anymore. My best guess is $5000 to do it all give or take, assuming the motors are all good that is. I know this, if someone showed me that picture and said they were throwing it out and asked me if i wanted it. I would take it and rebuild it then sell it...... so i say keep it and rebuild, unless you want the piece of mind of something new that wont need maintenance for a long period.....

MEP001

Reaction score
Dilling/Harris doesn't exist as its own company, but GinSan does, and they still make "those relay boxes between the kip valves." It's a GS-16D. IDX makes one too.

I wouldn't replace the pumps, but I'd rebuild them and replumb everything so they're easier to service. I prefer to have unions on one side so it takes barely a minute to remove the manifold.

APW

Reaction score
I am getting quotes on new equipment but I am leaning towards rebuilding everything. $5000 to $10000 is allot better then $50,000-$60,000. Especially when I have to redo the entire building also. I am going to install new meters with CC, Coins, and Cash. Which meters would ya'll recommend?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I vote rehab the pump stand. If it's stainless and not too big there's no reason to change it out.

APW

Reaction score
There are two boxes that are alike, and the third one is oddball. I am going to tear them all out and re block it.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
You have a SS pump stand....Its a no brainer to rehab. Do the necessary items to get it going. Then fix it up the way you want it when you have time and money. Prep your projects off line or at home, makes the install go easy and takes lots less time. Here are some old and new pics of my pump stand....The only thing missing is a SS frame! But if you control leaks, even the old Low Carbon Steel will last! If I can rehab an old over Complex Mark VII, the newer ones should be a piece of cake!

Last edited:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
And one more....Yes, I did it all....Just takes time and research, but very rewarding!

APW

Reaction score
Good job 2Biz. Looks really good!

pgrzes

Reaction score
Pumpstands are pretty simple to change and work them how you want. I did 2 rehabs both with used Coleman pumpstands that I picked up for pennies on the dollar. Give doug at Ginsan a call and spend the $$$ where people see it! If the customers are getting lots of suds on the car they dont care what the backside equipment delivering it looks like! Go heavy as possible with Foambrush/Triple foam brush and triple foam guns.