What's new

Would You Put Security Video on YouTube?

Red Baron

Reaction score
I have clear video of a girl/lady stealing one of my orange cones. I couldn't get the tag #. I realize a $12 cone isn't worth a lot of effort but right is right and wrong is wrong.

I'm thinking of uploading the video to YouTube, and run a still pic in the newspaper offering a $100 reward for identifying the thief, then a link to the video on my website.

Do you think there is liability for me in doing this, given that it's pretty obvious theft?

cebo

Reaction score
I'm no lawyer but I can't see how you would have any liablilty. I know someone who did this and I think he had a parent call within days offering some restitution. Like my old man used to say $12 is a case of beer (well $5 back in the day).

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Red, when ever I have any problems around the wash, I take a couple good pics from the video and post around the wash with a reward offered for that persons identity. I have all the information I need within a week.

MEP001

Reaction score
I told myself a long time ago that if I blocked off a bay that was down or I was working on and someone started the timer because I didn't turn off the power, it's my own fault and not that of whoever moved or drove right over the cone.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I told myself a long time ago that if I blocked off a bay that was down or I was working on and someone started the timer because I didn't turn off the power, it's my own fault and not that of whoever moved or drove right over the cone.
Watch the video. She got out of her truck, put a sack over her head, took the cone, then drove away. She wasn't trying to use the car wash, she pulled up perpendicular to the bays.

MEP001

Reaction score
Red Baron said:
Watch the video. She got out of her truck, put a sack over her head, took the cone, then drove away. She wasn't trying to use the car wash, she pulled up perpendicular to the bays.
I did, and I understand what happened. The only reason I might be bothered by this sort of thing is if a customer then used the bay and lost their money because of the stolen cone. Did the theft of the cone cause someone to think the bay was open and working? That's my only point.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
I think posting the video is no different than posting pictures on your front door asking if anyone knows them. I had someone cutting my foam brush hoses, got them on video twice, posted pictures of the person and vehicle and got a call within about 10 days. Waiting for the court date now....very expensive foam brush hoses I use. Now...I am not certain based on the video that there is enough footage to be of a lot of use....you can tell it was a white truck and might be able to tell what type of truck and you can tell someone got out and took the cone but I don't think there is anyway you can id someone from what was posted. If you are in a very small town maybe....just maybe but where I am no way....must be a 1000 trucks like that and while I have not seen a lot of folks with bags over there heads I have seen plenty that should be wearin em.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I have posted video of thieves on YouTube and posted their pics around the wash. I don't see an issue with it nor did the policeman who I asked before I did it. I think it gives you good advertisement to wanna-be thieves/vandals to leave your place alone for you have cameras.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I ran it by my attorney and he said posting the video is ok, just avoid finding her guilty by calling her a thief (or bag lady), rather, just call her a person of interest.

It's a shame in this country when a guy gets stolen from and he has to bend over backwards and spend $110 legal fees to make sure the thief does sue the victim.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I ran it by my attorney and he said posting the video is ok, just avoid finding her guilty by calling her a thief (or bag lady), rather, just call her a person of interest.

It's a shame in this country when a guy gets stolen from and he has to bend over backwards and spend $110 legal fees to make sure the thief does sue the victim.
Is this the first time someone stole one of your cones or is this incident part of a series of thefts? It looks to me like your getting yourself awfully worked up over a $12 traffic cone. Now that cone is costing you $122. Theres an old song that says something along the lines of this; You got to know when to hold em and when to fold em. I still say it looks like a prank by some teenagers. Were you ever young? Did you ever do something dumb? Just sayin....;)

Red Baron

Reaction score
Is this the first time someone stole one of your cones or is this incident part of a series of thefts? It looks to me like your getting yourself awfully worked up over a $12 traffic cone. Now that cone is costing you $122. Theres an old song that says something along the lines of this; You got to know when to hold em and when to fold em. I still say it looks like a prank by some teenagers. Were you ever young? Did you ever do something dumb? Just sayin....;)
At what age is theft ok? At what age are consequences for doing something "dumb" supposed to be suspended?

I learned few lessons in life from the stupid things I got away with.

Last edited:

Red Baron

Reaction score
So my brother comes to my house yesterday and I show him the video. He lives in a little town east of here - he said: "Hey, I think I know who owns that truck, she lives near me and she's a real bi#$%. I saw her daughter's car on the side of the highway the other day with a flat tire...and an orange traffic cone beside it."

Hmm, that's probably the culprit. Gonna verify it first, and if it's her I think I'll spare her the embarassment of charges in favor of inconvenience, when I call her and tell her she has exactly 70 minutes to drive the 60 miles to my town and return my cone.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Red, you are too much of a wuss when you actually "catch" someone.

What surprises me is that they had the thought process to put on a bag. Stupid people usually can't think that far ahead.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Red, you are too much of a wuss when you actually "catch" someone.

What surprises me is that they had the thought process to put on a bag. Stupid people usually can't think that far ahead.
As always, what I do after I catch them has a lot to do with their attitude. If it was indeed a prank and they're apologetic, probably won't do much. If she cops an attitude she gets to meet Nasty Tim.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
As always, what I do after I catch them has a lot to do with their attitude. If it was indeed a prank and they're apologetic, probably won't do much. If she cops an attitude she gets to meet Nasty Tim.
Its the thrill of the hunt, isn't it.:D I'm interested in seeing the outcome.:)

Etowah