What's new

Winter soap

Andy Burn

Reaction score
Good evening!

I plan to introduce methanol or WWF soap at my site for the foam brush. The setup I have now is a pail of soap (I use Mondo) connected to a hydrominder and from the hydrominder I have the soap line feeding to the HP and to a Flojet for the foam brush. A few questions I have:

1)How do I introduce WWF or methanol into the system? Should I premix the soap and methanol in the soap pail and let hydrominder suction it out? If I go this route, won't the hydrominder need the water supply to work? And if there is a large quantity of water, won't that water just freeze. It is going to around -9 for the next couple of weeks at my place.
2) Any danger to the CAT 310 pump from using the "winter" soap?
3) Ratio of WWF / methanol to soap

Regards,

Andy

MEP001

Reaction score
You can put a tee and two suction hoses on the Hydrominder with a valve to shut off the methanol. That saves mixing and switching soap when it's above freezing.

Andy Burn

Reaction score
Thank you MEP001 for the reply. Is the "Tee" just a simple nylon hose tee or are we looking for something else? For clarification, I Tee soap and methanol and one common hose goes to the hydrominder which has a black tip.

Attachments

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I would think pulling a Methanol Soap mix from a single tank for FB and HP Soap won't work...If you get FB to work right, the HP soap is going to be too weak...

OurTown

Reaction score
Good evening!

I plan to introduce methanol or WWF soap at my site for the foam brush. The setup I have now is a pail of soap (I use Mondo) connected to a hydrominder and from the hydrominder I have the soap line feeding to the HP and to a Flojet for the foam brush. A few questions I have:

1)How do I introduce WWF or methanol into the system? Should I premix the soap and methanol in the soap pail and let hydrominder suction it out? If I go this route, won't the hydrominder need the water supply to work? And if there is a large quantity of water, won't that water just freeze. It is going to around -9 for the next couple of weeks at my place.
2) Any danger to the CAT 310 pump from using the "winter" soap?
3) Ratio of WWF / methanol to soap

Regards,

Andy

1. Yes if using the hydrominder there will be water mixed in and the strongest methanol you will get with the tip removed is 20%. (4 parts water/1 part methanol) If you are talking about -9 Fahrenheit then this method won't work because it freezes at about 10F. Somewhere I read that there are some hydrominders that are 2:1 with the tip removed. Maybe someone can chime in about this.
2. The foam brush is a completely separate system from the Cat pump.
3. We mix our JBS Action foam brush soap (AT-105) at a ratio of 20:1 methanol to soap. I have seen some on here say 10:1 with the soap they are using so our soap must be very concentrated. Usually we put in a beige hydrominder tip but when it gets really cold for us we put in the grey tip. That is good for about the low teens and after that we let them freeze.

You could mix some 50/50 water with methanol in a large bucket or drum and add an appropriate amount of soap (it would probably be a tiny amount) and then the Flojet could draw straight from it. You would need to monitor it more often because it will go fast.

MEP001

Reaction score
Thank you MEP001 for the reply. Is the "Tee" just a simple nylon hose tee or are we looking for something else? For clarification, I Tee soap and methanol and one common hose goes to the hydrominder which has a black tip.
I would put a tee on the Hydrominder with two separate suction stubs with tips, one for each product, and a small ball valve for the methanol. I don't know how aggressive your soap is, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to use plastic threaded fittings.