What's new

Winter business revenue

SHINEY2

Reaction score
Hello,

new to this forum...take it easy on me :)

I have a newly bult with 4 self serve and 1 IBA [xp by oasis]. I have really done well with the Self serve all summer and entering fall - I am seeing a downturn. I was told that winter is the best time for the wash biz in my northern and cold climate. I am in North Dakota. Is this true? Summer was real good. Will winter be even better?

Also,

Any tips on winter prep and what to expect as far as monthly heating exspense??

All the help you can give would be appreciated!

soapy

Reaction score
I am in a Northern state with a similar climate to North Dakota. I think your weather is cold enough that you will see a downturn in business overall. Winter business for me has always been slower than summer business. You will easily see heat bills over $1000 per month to heat the slab in the SS bays.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Hmmm. Weird, I'm up north too and winter and early spring are my high season.
Inthe winter, cars get dirtier due to salt and sand, people cannot driveway wash.

SHINEY2

Reaction score
Do both of the your guy's washes have ss as well as an automatic? wondering if having an automic helps keep things busy in the winters during the real cold times....as of yet the auto has been very slow and the ss have been making the money.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I am 200 mi east of you, and the last few years winter has been alot of work, lots of snow, I think you get alot less snow than us. The business is generally better in the fall. January can be, but hasn't been for 10yrs the best month of the year. Such cold and snow it has been the worst month of the year the last 4-5 yrs. I was closed 18 days last winter due to extreme cold or snow. Always best to stock up on supplies before december, so ones not spending more than you make with the floor heat on. Depending on the month floor heat can run from $800-$2500, also depending on the temps. They have been predicting a real cold winter around here. and as you can see sept has been fairly cold.
Probably as with anyone, good time to save $$ for the winter.

SHINEY2

Reaction score
whale

I wanted to say thank you all for taking the time to help a newbie. Whale: You are in my neck of the woods-so your insight is invaluable. I own a jewelry store in Bismarck but I am new to the car wash biz. I know what to expect with the jewelry biz in different months - but no idea with this car wash....

$800 to $2500 a MONTH IN FLOOR HEAT??? Wow- wasnt expecting that $2500 number, very scary. do you do anything to help with heating costs, some cycle thier boilers on 15mins off 15 mins, others have posted that they run it by a thermostate on the return line. My floor heat boiler is set for 140 degrees - do I just leave it there and let it run 24/7 or should I make sure I have a thermostate on the return line set at 37 to 40 degrees?

If you ever need a diamond let me know - I'll return the favor of your advise.

Thanks a million. Check me out at www.zorells.com

Tim

kentadel

Reaction score
I am in Nebraska, and find Sept. and Oct. are slow, then things picks up and peak in March. If I were you I would try to keep the automatic running even when it gets really cold.

1gr8-wash

Reaction score
hamilton ontario

Here in Hamilton Ontario I find the worst months are Aug Sept Oct. then it picks up.
Of coarse sunny days with snow on the ground are always great and I am a big fan of salt trucks.
Hate heating the SS bays in the winter all the extra money I make goes to my utility company.
and of coarse Springn is always the golden time.
Spring Forever!!!

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Good winters are more so where they use salt on the roads. In the west we don't use salt, so winters were a pain.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
we are able to run touchfree to -5 most of the time unless it is really windy.
When it comes to heat costs 2 yrs ago N.gas was double in price- when gasoline was $4. If you run the boiler too cool- much under 140 i think it has too much condensation- and supposedly rusts it out quicker. Maybe your heating guy is best to talk to. We close at 8pm nov15-feb?? depending on wx.
Sometimes keeping the doors closed can be the cheapest route if really cold and windy, and sometimes we close earlier to save money, and put a sign in window. Unless you are there - they want to change batteries, wipers, work on cars etc. Way too many freeloaders on the cold nights, our business gets customers mostly during the sunny hours.

packerscw

Reaction score
Weep water

Hello,

I would for sure look to reduce or eliminate your weep water. That will save you a boat of money. Ive been looking into eliminating my weep water this winter because of how much wasted water I have with it. Ive been checking out a freeze guard system from Polar Freeze Guard Systems. Sounds like a great product, its a new product that I found last week to eliminate my weep water. Ive been doing some figuring and if I can get rid of just my weep water I will save about a 1,000 bucks or more a winter. Hope this helps you a little

soapy

Reaction score
My weather is routinly very cold. It is not unusual for us to not get over freezing for a month or more at a time. If the winter daytime highs got even 10 degrees more I know business would be better. ONce we get snow on the ground it is usually here for 3 months. Places that get snow that soon melts afterwards seem to do better in the winter.