What's new

WINDOW-CLEANING. Revisited

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
I recently scrutinized a detail shop owner using workstation crock pots to keep his glass cleaner & sponges warm, and challenged him as to its practicability. :confused: His quiet courteous response was that it worked better than anything else... and his process was both extremely cost-effective and its fragrance pleasantly distinctive to his clientele. Further questioning led me to accept that he was not the least bit interested in any change, so I smiled and admired his glass cleaning process... and streak-free results. ;)

Over the years, I've seen and used many different processes in my quest to continuously find, test and evaluate the best practices in our industry... and this was but one of them.:rolleyes:

Industry forums are a wellspring of information for sharing and improving "how we do... what we do", and this one is an excellent example. So, in the absence of anyone else prompting the question, I'd appreciate all who have something to share regarding their hands-on "best" glass cleaning process. If it involves a special product, try to keep it generic... so the site isn't shifted into a marketing platform. Be as specific as possible in both process and materials... so we can all consider our options. Come on, let us know your recipe! :D

Wishing ALL a Safe, Healthy and Happy Holiday Season...
and Hoping 2009 is Your Best Year Yet!
:cool:

-STEVE

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Soap Scum Cure

Bill...

The soap scum residue is alkaline, so using an acidic cleaner or even a mild solution of hydrochloric (muriadic) acid (paint store) while wearing rubber gloves will remove the ugly stuff.

Now that we have your shower solved, back to automobile windows...

JustClean

Reaction score
Bill...

The soap scum residue is alkaline, so using an acidic cleaner or even a mild solution of hydrochloric (muriadic) acid (paint store) while wearing rubber gloves will remove the ugly stuff.

Now that we have your shower solved, back to automobile windows...
My wife is the expert in window cleaning.
She reckons she hasn't found anything better than a bucket of hot water with some vinigar and a bit dishwashing liquid.
Using a leather cloth the hot water evaporates and leaves a clean, streak-free glass.
Cheers Justclean
...and a Merry Christmas

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
WAXMAN does GLASS~~~

Ammonia based commercial glass cleaner in a 1 qt. trigger bottle.

1. Spray glass evenly.

2. If super dirty, 1st wipe is with '000' steel wool.

3. second wipe is with micro fiber cloth. Keep the cloth folded in a rectangle. Press into corners of glass then 'fill in' the middle as if you were coloring.

4. Repeat previous step only with a lint-free surgical towel.

**steps 2 and 3 clean the glass while step 4 polishes and removes any streaks.

***other tips: if glass is super filmy from smoke, kid goo, etc, use some general purpose cleaner as preliminary cleaning step. Never use paper towels. was all window towels separately and without detergent and on hot.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
As an old detailers trick try using newspaper to remove the glass cleaner. Before you laugh at the idea try it. You might be surprised.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I remember the newspaper trick from when I was in the Marines. Worked great on shower walls, sinks, and mirrors etc.

I use Windex and couple of paper towels about every 2nd time I wash my car in the driveway.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Another old detailer trick I was taught long ago is to clean/wipe the windows in an up and down motion instead of side to side. I have been teaching this to people for about the last ten years or so. The guy who told me this said the eye cant see vertical lines as well as horizontal ones, not sure if this is true, but I believe in wiping them vertically.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Huh?

Baywatch...

My comment is simply to dispel some misinformation. :( With all due respect, maybe the old detailer who offered up the window-cleaning "trick" was affected by ingesting chemical fumes... and offered you some dizzy advice.:p This information is meant to enlighten, not humiliate... so please take no personal offense.:eek:

The eye can expressly see vertical lines or streaks much better than horizontal ones. And buff-wiping windows to a streak-free finish is best done horizontally, specifically for that purpose.

The human anatomy has two eyes on a horizontal plane with overlap for focus, just like having your eyes checked with each eye independent of each other, and again together. This enables us a panoramic view of things and assists in peripheral vision.

Traditionally, a window is wiped in a boxed fashion, followed by filling in the box... with horizontal buff-wipe strokes. If you choose to wipe vertically, I suggest finishing up with a horizontal final buff, even if dry.

That said, I suppose a perfectly clean window can be achieved with omni-directional wiping as long as there is no residual film. It simply makes sense that visually, the final strokes are horizontal... and less conspicuous.

Same thing is true with buffing on a paint finish. Although many detailers cross-hatch their work, the final buff tracking should be in concert with the aerodynamic horizontal lines of the vehicle, making any risk of streaks blend into the visual flow. Think about it, and you'll probably pick out vertical marks or swirls much more easily, and it will be due to the vertical edge that breaks the visual continuity.

Enough said!:cool:

-Steve

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Steve,

You asked, I answered. Even if your info is scientifically acurate, your remark about the old detailer is uncalled for, "with all due respect" of course.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Oooops!

BayWatch...

Point taken. No disrespect was intended. I simply wanted to interject some facts to balance out the misinformation, but you apparently didn't like the dry humor. Okay, I can accept that. Sorry for the sarcasm.

However, I did include this:
"This information is meant to enlighten, not humiliate... so please take no personal offense."

Enough said? :eek:

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
My grandmother would constantly talk about other people in a negative manner and finish by saying "God bless their soul". Still didnt make it right.

I did see it the first time, no need to make it bold and 72pt font.