What's new

Wierd issue in self serve bay

slash007

Reaction score
I have had this issue occur twice in the past week. After a customer finishes washing and the timer runs out, the last function used will keep running. For example, this morning a customer used a credit card to pay for a wash then when they were done, they pushed the stop button on the cryptopay swiper. The Led 7 timer showed the total charge and reverted to "please insert $2 to start" or whatever is usually says. Problem is, the rinse was still running. Changing the rotary knob to other functions did nothing, only rinse would come out no matter what the knob selected. Last time we turned the breaker off and then on and it stopped, but this time it kept running. My guy says he pushed the credit card stop button for five seconds and then it stopped, but I'm guessing that was a coincidence. Any idea what the issue is? I'm guessing the timer is the problem, but figured I would ask and see if anyone else might now.

Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's definitely not the timer because it only sends power out to the rotary switch. Turning the switch would have changed the selection that was running. My first guess would be the motor contactor sticking.

kentadel

Reaction score
I have a similar problem in one of my bays. HP wax will stay on after time runs out. Switch to any other position and pump shuts off. I have changed the dial and compared wiring back to the equipment room. I am missing something really simple, but can't find it. Ugh....

slash007

Reaction score
It's definitely not the timer because it only sends power out to the rotary switch. Turning the switch would have changed the selection that was running. My first guess would be the motor contactor sticking.

I thought about that, but last time it was stuck on Pre-soak, so it can't be the motor contact..

cmawash

Reaction score
check neutral and wire grounding thru out car for ground loops, stuck valve, switch may be going bad. sounds like one the head beater problems

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Are the LED7 all the same software? I think it says the software version when you power it up. There is a small possibility that you have one timer not seing a 'good' enough stop signal ( i think software changes dictated the requirements for that), and also have a crappy rotary switch. Otherwise, I see no connection between the presoak sticking, rinse sticking, and credit card stopping. I would swap timers from one bay to the other and see if the problem moves too.

slash007

Reaction score
Are the LED7 all the same software? I think it says the software version when you power it up. There is a small possibility that you have one timer not seing a 'good' enough stop signal ( i think software changes dictated the requirements for that), and also have a crappy rotary switch. Otherwise, I see no connection between the presoak sticking, rinse sticking, and credit card stopping. I would swap timers from one bay to the other and see if the problem moves too.
All timers are on the latest software. I had them recently updated to avoid any issues after installing cryptopay. I also just changed the rotary switch on that bay this week and it happened once before and then again today, so it can't be the switch.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I also just changed the rotary switch on that bay this week and it happened once before and then again today, so it can't be the switch.
Yes it can, LOL.
Not saying that it is the switch, but "it can't be X" is a surefire way to not solve problems (for me anyway).

Whenever I get a headscratcher and there are electronics involved, I do 2 things. 1) swap out ALL the suspect components (I dont like experimenting on my customers). 2) Check the wiring. Loose connections, grounding, and crossed wires can really give me a headache.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Have you 'considered the source' of the information? No offense if it is you..... I just have seen lots of confusing posts that have been premature as they were trying to figure out a problem they hadn't seen themselves - and they didn't have the problem in the first place. But still, it only takes 5 minutes to swap a dixmor timer, so I would just to narrow down the problem. Also, I am assuming you have checked for a wire 'floating around' in the meterbox...? Especially a 24 V hot wire.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Speaking of a loose wire we have our vac it up coin collection system wired to our timers and we have two bays that share one motor and one pipe one bay would work when coins were put in the other one nothing and here I was chasing wires, replacing fuses, relays, swapping timers and it turns out to be just that a 24v hot wire had broke loose in the coinbox, re-stripped the wire tighten it backup and back in business

Etowah

slash007

Reaction score
Speaking of a loose wire we have our vac it up coin collection system wired to our timers and we have two bays that share one motor and one pipe one bay would work when coins were put in the other one nothing and here I was chasing wires, replacing fuses, relays, swapping timers and it turns out to be just that a 24v hot wire had broke loose in the coinbox, re-stripped the wire tighten it backup and back in business
We've been busy so I haven't done a thorough check yet, but plan on it tomorrow. It's only occurred twice so far, but both within a week, so I'm certain it will happen again. I haven't been there either time and am just going off of what was reported to me, so hopefully next time I will be there and can better diagnose it. I will double check for loose wires and swap the timer just to be sure.

wash4me

Reaction score
WHILE the problem is occuring get a multimeter and see if you actually have voltage at the coil of the motor starter, rotary switch etc.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
My guess was a bad or sticking motor starter....Untill you said it happened with PS too....Yes definetly a head scratcher.....Mice? :D

Stuart

Reaction score
I would trade out the timer. I had a similar problem but with a ginsan 401 timer. The complaint came from a credit card user but I believe it started before the CC customer even entered the bay and when he went to press stop it was still running. I think it was running before he swiped but didn't notice.
Thoughts from my experience