What's new

Why would our Air compressor keep tripping breaker

soonermajic

Reaction score
My employee told me our Air Compressor keeps throwing the breaker + he noticed the tank is real hot.
What's goin on?
Im 70 miles away, & can't get there til Thu night...

MEP001

Reaction score
Could be any of a number of things. Might be a bad air leak, the check valve in the tank could be bad, the pressure switch could be bad, the pump or motor could be failing.

MEP001

Reaction score
Have your guy watch it and see what it's doing. If it runs continuously and every once in a while blows off air, it's most likely the pressure switch stuck on. If it runs, shuts off and then blows off air until it comes back on, it's the check valve in the tank. If it just runs and runs and there's an air leak, there's probably an air leak.

Etowah

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
To add to Randy's & MEP001's suggestion I would put a "clamp on ammeter" on each hot wire going to the motor while observing. We recently had to take our motor down to the local repair for that same problem. Less than $90 bill BTW.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
A temporary fix if it is the contactor is to carefully file any burnt contacts ... also possibly some De-Oxidation contact spray cleaner. In the past ... that bought us some time before replacing the air compressor's special pressure operating contactor. Is there more than one contactor?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Oddly enough, he changed oil 3 days ago & zero problems since

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
Mine was doing this a while back, replaced the contactor, breaker, tightened wires. ended up installing a portable back up compressor with the pressure switch set to come on just a little lower than the main so if the main didn't come on, the backup would and keep the wash running. I only get there every 2 or 3 days. Then I ordered a new motor for the "permanent" fix. The motor arrived and we have not had the problem since. It is still sitting in the box in the equipment room since it arrived. It was an expensive fix, but not much work... LOL.