What's new

Why pump doesn’t pumping the water?

Ls brothers

Reaction score
I just replaced the new water pump but still have problems to pumping the water. I need to prime water all the time to let it pump. Anyone know what’s wrong with it? How can I do? Thanks for any advice !

Randy

Reaction score
I just replaced the new water pump but still have problems to pumping the water. I need to prime water all the time to let it pump. Anyone know what’s wrong with it? How can I do? Thanks for any advice !
There are a lot of different types of pumps. What kind of pump are you using? What are you using it for?

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
How far does the pump have to draw the water? could be the pump housing runs out of water before being resupplied, maybe a check valve to keep it from back draining when it shuts off.

Ls brothers

Reaction score
How far does the pump have to draw the water? could be the pump housing runs out of water before being resupplied, maybe a check valve to keep it from back draining when it shuts off.
I didn’t see any check valve around the pump. Do I need to check outside anywhere?thanks so much for you help.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but it seems to me if the water can settle back into the pit once the pump sends what water wat trapped in the impeller housing, air would replace it and the pump would loose its prime. a check valve designed for the size pip that feeds your pump, would prevent the water from backflowing into the pit and the pump would stay primed.

Ls brothers

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but it seems to me if the water can settle back into the pit once the pump sends what water wat trapped in the impeller housing, air would replace it and the pump would loose its prime. a check valve designed for the size pip that feeds your pump, would prevent the water from backflowing into the pit and the pump would stay primed.
Do you think where should I add a check valve?thanks so much for you help.

Randy

Reaction score
You need to add a foot valve (check valve) on the suction side of the pump, at the end of the suction pipe. The problem you’re going to have is there is a lot of debris in the pit water and it will foul the foot valve in no time. Where are you pumping this water to? Was there a pump there before this pump was installed?

Ls brothers

Reaction score
You need to add a foot valve (check valve) on the suction side of the pump, at the end of the suction pipe. The problem you’re going to have is there is a lot of debris in the pit water and it will foul the foot valve in no time. Where are you pumping this water to? Was there a pump there before this pump was installed?
The pump just like when I bought the car wash 4 years ago but it started have problems around 2 years ago. And I just replaced the new pump 1 month ago but still need to filling the water all the time to make it pumping water.thanks so much for you help.

Attachments

eckert16

Reaction score
Check Valve (to prevent the water in the pipe from flowing away from the pump inlet once the pump is primed; to keep the pump primed)

John J Spokas

Reaction score
Check Valve (to prevent the water in the pipe from flowing away from the pump inlet once the pump is primed; to keep the pump primed)
Also,
how do you stop the pump from running before the water level in whatever tank you are pumping from gets below the suction pipe?
And, where are you located?

mac

Reaction score
You need a trash pump. They can pump rocks up to 1” diameter. Spring loaded check valve finishes it.

Randy

Reaction score
It's clearly a failure to communicate so I think your best option would be to call a plumber or someone who knows how to install a pump.
The pump just like when I bought the car wash 4 years ago but it started have problems around 2 years ago. And I just replaced the new pump 1 month ago but still need to filling the water all the time to make it pumping water.thanks so much for you help.
Where does this pump pump the water, to the sewer, to the roof, to the storm drain, parking lot wash down?

eckert16

Reaction score
The photo you provide... looks like you are pumping water from a water well... is that what you are trying to do (pump clear water from a water well)?

words have meaning:
a water well is not a tank....
a carwash pit can be a tank...
a tank can hold water...
a tank can hold waste water...
a water well is not a carwash pit.....
a carwash pit should not be a water well but it could be a source for recycling water...

1659540762963.png Example of a shallow water well pump; with a gold colored brass check valve ahead of the pump to maintain water prime at the pump; and a tee before that with a red handled valve to prime the suction line if needed (the bottom of that suction line also contains a foot valve/check valve).