What's new

Why is hiring a Maintenance / Mechanic so hard?

CentralTex

Reaction score
Is it just me or is anyone else having a hard time hiring a car wash maintenance person? We have a 5 bay SS in a Central Texas town that is about 2.5 hours from the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Our previous guy, who was somewhat of a mechanical savant, stopped coming to work due to personal issues. We are having a hard time finding anyone who has background that would be a good fit for a car wash maintenance / mechanic. Fortunately, the previous owner has been extremely generous with helping us out, but I know I can't rely on that forever. I am pretty sure I will not find anyone with car wash experience. My focus has been on people who have a solid background in maintenance with a mixture of plumbing and electrical experience. So far, no luck. Most of the resumes are from people who are good at painting and remodeling - make ready - apartments, but no electro mechanical / plumbing experience. How have others dealt with this? What job experiences have you found in candidates that lend themselves to making a good car wash maintenance person? Any insight is always appreciated.

washnshine

Reaction score
Did you advertise a salary figure? I’m not asking what it is- it’s none of my business, but is it commensurate with similar skill-level jobs in your area? I’m not talking about necessarily car wash maintenance jobs only, but jobs with similar electrical and plumbing knowledge requirements.

CentralTex

Reaction score
WashnShine, thanks for the comment. We definitely advertised the salary, figure, plus that is 40 hours a week, plus benefits. That being said, I just checked and our salary is lower than what the much larger companies offer.

RAAOO7

Reaction score
Where I live, it is extremely hard to find anyone that has those skills. And if they do most likely they already have a job. I have to do most of my own maintenance. I tried teaching someone but instead of learning he almost fell off a ladder. It wasn't like this 5 + years back.

OurTown

Reaction score
Finding labor is tough right now. My lawn guy said it is so bad he is going to start paying $30/hour to attract new guys. He said he could get a lot more work but can't keep people. They just don't want to work. One of my buddies that owned a HVAC company (he passed away recently @ 46 years old) told me something similar but was going to have to lure in top guys with $40/hour. Anyone with good electrical and plumbing skills, shows up for work everyday on time, doesn't want to take a day off every week, doesn't show up high or drunk already has a well paid job with great benefits. The government screwed it all up when they gave out all that money three years ago to sit at home.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
HVAC people would be good prospects. They do a little of everything, work with 24V controls, although residential HVAC guys would be new to three phase.

Someone told me some tunnel service companies are now charging over $300/hr now for their level II technicians.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
HVAC people would be good prospects. They do a little of everything, work with 24V controls, although residential HVAC guys would be new to three phase.

Someone told me some tunnel service companies are now charging over $300/hr now for their level II technicians.
I know with that with Harrell's a subsidiary of Sonny's, they charge for the commute as well.

As to why it's tough finding a mechanic, the factor of people not wanting to work is a big one. Another factor is that those who do want to work do not want to do blue-collar work.

We have four mechanics, and I'll be honest in saying I only want to keep one of them.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why does a 5 bay SS need a full time mechanic?
I'm wondering the same thing. What really needs fixing or maintaining for 40 hours a week? I don't think I spend 40 hours repairing / maintaining car wash equipment in 6 months at my wash!

CentralTex

Reaction score
To Waxman, Analytic and whomever else, congratulations on running SS that are such low maintenance. I wish ours was that way, but it is not. Last week, we had to replace one of the buttons on the Ginsan boxes, replace a connection on the boom that was leaking, repair hose on top of the roof that was leaking soap, replace a regulator, fix a float valve that caused water to leak all over, and determine why the bill exchanger was not dispensing quarters, as well as a few other things that I cannot recall. This week we will replace one of the CAT Pumps that is knocking and some of the brackets that are missing on the vacuums. Additionally,this person will be responsible for cleaning the pits, filling soaps, and performing general maintenance at our storage facility, which is right next door. Might the person we have have some downtime? Maybe, but that hasn't been my experience. Happy Monday :)

I'm wondering the same thing. What really needs fixing or maintaining for 40 hours a week? I don't think I spend 40 hours repairing / maintaining car wash equipment in 6 months at my wash!