What's new

Why do you own a car wash?

ebow

Reaction score
Really, why? What got you started in the business and what keeps you coming back? Ive never owned one, its just been something on my mind for a few years now. A local wash was recently posted for sale which got me really putting some time into learning the business and making a decision if its something I want to pursue.

My original thought was a car wash could be a good investment and a way to make some extra money. I dont by that its a passive income business but I do see how the time needed can be flexible.

So what is it for you?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Going on 9 years now. Got into because my hobby is investing in real estate and I always enjoyed and took pride in washing my car. It isn't my full time job though but I do love it.

I see it as a hobby/investment....and have yet to find something else with better returns. I've owned raw land, multi family, industrial and office properties all good returns but my washes are better.

kentadel

Reaction score
34 years for me. Grew up just down the street from a car wash and wanted my own business and to have a 2nd source of income.
Sons are involved now and we have branched into the equipment side so I am in it for keeps.

David Rolf

Reaction score
It's been 6 years years for me now. I only work one day a week now unless we have a significant breakdown. It has allowed me to quit my aviation corporate job of 32 years. I'll use it as income and an investment until the time is right or I can't do it anymore. Best choice I've ever made in my life. You don't get anywhere in life without some risk. I would pursue it.

New Washdog

Reaction score
Aspiring owner here. Left aerospace manufacturing management job to be the retirement succession plan in a couple of years. Well eight years in now. Took a struggling wash and doubled gross earnings in six years and took a meager net to a level anyone would envy in any industry (Well over 20%).

Why do I keep coming in, only god knows. Getting to be about time to explore other options.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
for me it's just an extension of what I was always interested in. As a boy I got a mini bike and found that I liked cleaning it and shining it up as much as I liked riding it. this evolved into cleaning cars for my relatives for extra money. As a teenager I always had a little money in my pocket which felt really good. Later on in life after college my First job was working in an office at the materials handling company. The company sold and serviced forklift trucks and I work in the office dispatching mechanics to fix the broken forklifts. I hated the job and only lasted six months. Little while later I started my detailing business. That was pretty good but there wasn't a lot of money in it because of New England weather in the winter and the fact that no one wants to pay hundreds of dollars for a detail during the winter. An opportunity came up to buy the land next-door to where I have my detailing shop. I had always wanted to build a car wash and thought that it would help even out my revenue stream throughout the year. It's worked out well for me so far.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Really, why? What got you started in the business and what keeps you coming back? Ive never owned one, its just been something on my mind for a few years now. A local wash was recently posted for sale which got me really putting some time into learning the business and making a decision if its something I want to pursue.

My original thought was a car wash could be a good investment and a way to make some extra money. I dont by that its a passive income business but I do see how the time needed can be flexible.

So what is it for you?
My husband and I purchased a dirty and neglected self-service car wash in February 2003. He had spent a year researching different businesses, and had narrowed the list down to car washes, laundromats and self-storage units. I was the supportive and naïve wife!

Though we had financial, project management and computer skills, we knew NOTHING about running a car wash!

In the first 5 months, we endured 6 bouts of vandalism and theft, that stressed our marriage. We questioned our new business venture and how to move forward. My husband liked to brag he was the “business owner”, but he didn’t like the customers or working at the car wash. He ridiculed my modest suggestions to improve it, since he had the “business” degree. I no longer felt loved or supported and moved out. After a long separation, we decided to divorce and go our separate ways. During this time, God came to me in multiple dreams, directing me to keep the car wash. I thought I was going crazy! Although I loved the car wash and the customers, I wasn’t a plumber, electrician, or handyman, and felt very intimidated by the equipment and repairs. To simplify the divorce settlement, I reluctantly agreed to take on the car wash in 2014. While the income was flat, I could see its potential, and slowly began to make improvements. Over 9 years, I upgraded the color scheme, signs and vending, added in-bay dryers, LED lights, tokens, credit cards, and mobile payment app and saw income soar over 500%. Last year I paid off my car wash and hired my first employee.

I enjoy the unpredictability and variety of my work. No two days are ever the same, and there is never a dull moment! From helping new customers, handling unexpected repairs, confronting drug users or researching new equipment. Owning my car wash keeps me humble and reminds me to lean on God. At the end of most days, I am tired and dirty but feel an enormous sense of satisfaction, peace, and joy! I NEVER knew I was so patient, smart, strong or courageous! ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

New Washdog

Reaction score
My husband and I purchased a dirty and neglected self-service car wash in February 2003. He had spent a year researching different businesses, and had narrowed the list down to car washes, laundromats and self-storage units. I was the supportive and naïve wife!

Though we had financial, project management and computer skills, we knew NOTHING about running a car wash!

In the first 5 months, we endured 6 bouts of vandalism and theft, that stressed our marriage. We questioned our new business venture and how to move forward. My husband liked to brag he was the “business owner”, but he didn’t like the customers or working at the car wash. He ridiculed my modest suggestions to improve it, since he had the “business” degree. I no longer felt loved or supported and moved out. After a long separation, we decided to divorce and go our separate ways. During this time, God came to me in multiple dreams, directing me to keep the car wash. I thought I was going crazy! Although I loved the car wash and the customers, I wasn’t a plumber, electrician, or handyman, and felt very intimidated by the equipment and repairs. To simplify the divorce settlement, I reluctantly agreed to take on the car wash in 2014. While the income was flat, I could see its potential, and slowly began to make improvements. Over 9 years, I upgraded the color scheme, signs and vending, added in-bay dryers, LED lights, tokens, credit cards, and mobile payment app and saw income soar over 500%. Last year I paid off my car wash and hired my first employee.

I enjoy the unpredictability and variety of my work. No two days are ever the same, and there is never a dull moment! From helping new customers, handling unexpected repairs, confronting drug users or researching new equipment. Owning my car wash keeps me humble and reminds me to lean on God. At the end of most days, I am tired and dirty but feel an enormous sense of satisfaction, peace, and joy! I NEVER knew I was so patient, smart, strong or courageous! ;)
Love the success story! Thanks for sharing.

Roz

Reaction score
Seven years ago I went to an auction for fun and to watch since a carwash was a unique property. I had checked out the place in person and looked up the land (assessed) value. Place had good (building) bones but was a disaster. I thought I would lower my hand when the place reached the assessed value. If I could not learn the biz or screwed up my backup plan was to sell the land to a developer. I now own three locations all have been renovated and rejuvenated. Now I need to figure out my exit strategy and that timing as it can take a long time to accomplish since loans are hard to obtain. Still having fun, most customers are nice and friendly to talk with - often with a passion for a clean car.

designflaw

Reaction score
I got my car wash earlier this year so have a very long way to go but the primary reason was to get into something I like (who doesnt like a clean car) doing after hours along with teaching my kids how to run a business. Lets hope my story turns out to be 10% of what Kim achieved!

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Kimberly as my dad used to say after accomplishing something, Nobody thought I could do it, but I did it. Cards were stacked against you but you kept at it and made it a success.
Thank you Soapy, I really appreciate your validation! My German dad used to say "if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger!" The other part of the story is that we were underwater in debt. My car wash is located in Northern California, on a very busy prominent corner. We paid almost $1 Million in 2003, for the land, building and equipment. After the divorce, I was focused on improving the car wash, trying to bring in more income to pay off the debt. Failure was NOT an option!! I'm just grateful that it's finally paid off and I can enjoy the fruits of success.