What's new

Why am I going through so many Relay Cards?

Nellek_Yar

Reaction score
I have a DRB TCS2 Terminal and 1 site has burned through almost 20 Relay Cards since January. Doesn't happen at other locations and I'm baffled as to why. Once they go out it begins to do things like activate relay 5 when it should be relay 1. Anyone experience anything similar?

MGSMN

Reaction score
I have had this happen once in 2.5 years. I would suggest that you power down the TCS2 before swapping cards even though they claim you can hot swap them. I would also contact RDM.Net and ask them if they would be able to repair them. They do have other older DRB cards listed on their site and if you have 20 cards to be repaired they may buy them from you as cores. The last time I priced a TW00210 output card it was almost $800.00, but almost everything from DRB is $$$. Are your outputs switching mostly 24v or 120v (just curious)? You may want to check the TCS2's +24v,+12v and +5v power supplies just to verify the voltages if you can find a convenient spot to connect your meter.

JustaGuy

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have run into a bad batch of relay cards. Try posting in the Talk DRB Facebook group, sometimes that can get the attention of the right people to dig into it more deeply.

Nellek_Yar

Reaction score
I believe my outputs are doing mostly 24v. Checking the voltages is a good idea and I will give them a look.

MC3033

Reaction score
DRB admitted to having a bad batch of cards out. Hopefully your cards were under warranty.

Likely faulty cards but both the cards and each output on the cards have a set amp rating. If you are running any lights or signs off the relay directly I’d look into the amp draw / limits

JustaGuy

Reaction score
Generally, voltage/amperage issues will only result in a bad relay or lifted trace on a specific relay's circuit, they don't result in the types of issues the OP reported (activating wrong relays, etc.). I think MC3033 has hit on it if DRB has had a bad batch of relay cards.

DaddyD

Reaction score
Its very possible that you have a short in the wiring some where that is over drawing the relays. I would suggest adding an inline fuse the the circuit to help protect the relay. You could also check the current draw with a clamp on still multimeter.

Etowah