What's new

Who is doing your maintenance?

MrBTech

Reaction score
Im thinking about starting a side hustle business servicing car washes around my area, targeting mom and pop operations.

Cleaning, dialing in the soap tritation, break downs, pumps, leaks, preventative maintenance. Is this service valuable to you? What would you be okay with paying? This is a rough idea and I'm trying to piece some details together before approaching owners.

Thanks for any information!

MrBTech

Reaction score
$75/hr, heck, maybe more.
I haven't put together concrete numbers to come up with my cost per hour but I bet 75 is getting close to what it might be.

What is WW PDQ charging to send a tech out?

I come across many small town washes in my area that aren't clean, leaks.... I cant imagine anyone is around to maintain soap concentration.

OurTown

Reaction score
I think for you to get business your service should appear as good as the factory service available. How much experience do you have? Maybe focus on just a few brands that service is several hours drive away. Don't assume that because a wash doesn't work good that the owner is willing to pay to get it working good. If they were willing to shell out the money they most likely would have done so already with factory service.

MrBTech

Reaction score
I think for you to get business your service should appear as good as the factory service available. How much experience do you have? Maybe focus on just a few brands that service is several hours drive away. Don't assume that because a wash doesn't work good that the owner is willing to pay to get it working good. If they were willing to shell out the money they most likely would have done so already with factory service.
Okay good point. Maybe I can become certified with specific brands first. I will definitely look into that.

Most of my experience is in the wind and gas industry as an industrial mechanic. Mechanic problems are a non issue for me but I have been bamboozled by intermittent electrical problems specifically in this industry with all the moving parts.

End goal here would be to target home gamer operations.. business people that either need help with larger tasks or the guys that run until they break down and then have to wait for help to travel in.

I think this industry is a hidden gem for a mechanic that might be washed up and done traveling the country 😂

MEP001

Reaction score
Maybe I can become certified with specific brands first.
They won't do that for you as an independent tech.
I have been bamboozled by intermittent electrical problems specifically in this industry with all the moving parts.
Then you should seriously look in another field. A lot of the work you'll do is electrical diagnosing.
I think this industry is a hidden gem for a mechanic that might be washed up and done traveling the country
You aren't going to find many people who will pay you to learn on the job, ESPECIALLY "mom and pop" operators.

If you want to learn this industry, you should start out as a service tech for a company. Let them train you, and you can also figure out as you get paid if it's something you can handle. You won't be travelling the country as a local tech.

MrBTech

Reaction score
They won't do that for you as an independent tech.

Then you should seriously look in another field. A lot of the work you'll do is electrical diagnosing.

You aren't going to find many people who will pay you to learn on the job, ESPECIALLY "mom and pop" operators.

If you want to learn this industry, you should start out as a service tech for a company. Let them train you, and you can also figure out as you get paid if it's something you can handle. You won't be travelling the country as a local tech.
Interesting, thanks for the info chief. 👍 I'm having a blast working on the ww and pdq bays and find them straight forward. When I do have a question I call the manufacturer and it's settled in 10mn over the phone.

washnshine

Reaction score
Keep in mind, a lot of the titrating and chemical adjustments you are talking about are taken care of by dedicated chem reps. There are dozens of chemical manufacturers and thousands of chemicals. Most Chem reps have experience and specialize in the line the represent. In the case of operators who purchase from Kleen Rite of Windtrax, they are experienced in what they use and are comfortable and prefer doing it themselves. “Mom and Pop” locations are not necessarily looking for an all in one, regular tech, Chem rep and clean up person. In fact, most of the ones that I know of save a lot of money by doing a lot of this on their own and save the calls to techs for major issues that they cannot diagnose, and call in chem rep when cleaning becomes a problem for various reasons. Regular use of a service like you propose might be attractive to some, but I just do not see most “mom and pops” looking for regular pm, cleanup and titration check visits.

MrBTech

Reaction score
Keep in mind, a lot of the titrating and chemical adjustments you are talking about are taken care of by dedicated chem reps. There are dozens of chemical manufacturers and thousands of chemicals. Most Chem reps have experience and specialize in the line the represent. In the case of operators who purchase from Kleen Rite of Windtrax, they are experienced in what they use and are comfortable and prefer doing it themselves. “Mom and Pop” locations are not necessarily looking for an all in one, regular tech, Chem rep and clean up person. In fact, most of the ones that I know of save a lot of money by doing a lot of this on their own and save the calls to techs for major issues that they cannot diagnose, and call in chem rep when cleaning becomes a problem for various reasons. Regular use of a service like you propose might be attractive to some, but I just do not see most “mom and pops” looking for regular pm, cleanup and titration check visits.
I appreciate all the feedback 🙏

soonermajic

Reaction score
I think if you could really fix all IBA & SS issues, & forget about titrating & cleanup, then in DFW area you'd be a millionaire in 48 mos.

MrBTech

Reaction score
I think if you could really fix all IBA & SS issues, & forget about titrating & cleanup, then in DFW area you'd be a millionaire in 48 mos.
Ez now... as much as I respect the level of craftsmanship I've encountered in this industry so far, I don't think I'm very cost effective at troubleshooting electrical issues. 😭

Yall having issues with self serve down there? Why?

MrBTech

Reaction score
Ez now... as much as I respect the level of craftsmanship I've encountered in this industry so far, I don't think I'm very cost effective at troubleshooting electrical issues. 😭

Yall having issues with self serve down there? Why?
And no.. I dont think I can fix everything! Sorry if I came across that way. I'm just asking this community about roadblocks and headaches i may encounter pursuing some on the side money. Love ya!

water guy

Reaction score
Bad enough we have to deal with techs coming in to this Industry from WW and pdq that come and experiment on our equipment no Thanks go to work for someone with a great deal of knowledge for about 5yrs and then maybe come get into this industry.

Etowah