What's new

Who has the premiere in-bay CC acceptance system?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Not sure yet, but I have a chance to hit a record high for revenue this year. Been a long slow crawl back from the depths of the economic problems, and it's nothing to get rich off of but I'm happy with the trend. Going to a $3 startup really helped.

So, maybe its finally time to add in-bay CC acceptance. Previously I was close to selecting Wash Gear, but that didn't work for vacs and I'm not sure about the Shurvend. With cryptopay, the install looks simplified due to fewer wires and it would work for the vacs as well, maybe even vending. So the appeal of bays and vacs without wires is pretty compelling.

Am I missing any other good vendors or solutions as I try to pin down which system to go with? Or, are there significant differences in charging and collection of processing fees that would sway you to or away from any vendors? Thanks .....

MEP001

Reaction score
We're running the Hamilton D.A.N., and my original plan was to try to add it to every vacuum eventually. I'm thinking seriously now about ordering a CryptoPay unit and trying it out, since it offers almost everything Hamilton's system does, and each processing unit costs less than just a replacement card swiper from Hamilton.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have to say Cryptopay has been about as simple an install and trouble free operation as things get. My only issue is being able to seperate teh bay CC revenue from the tunnel. I take the monthly total and subtract from it the tunnel CC revenue to arrive at the bay revenue.

It took me 6 months of having it in the 4 busiest bays to decide it was worth doing in the 4 remaining bays. I think using it for $1.00 vacs would be a stretch to justify ROI.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
I have to say Cryptopay has been about as simple an install and trouble free operation as things get. My only issue is being able to seperate teh bay CC revenue from the tunnel. I take the monthly total and subtract from it the tunnel CC revenue to arrive at the bay revenue.

It took me 6 months of having it in the 4 busiest bays to decide it was worth doing in the 4 remaining bays. I think using it for $1.00 vacs would be a stretch to justify ROI.
On the vacs you could just let the timer count up that way they pay for what they use.....I have combo vacs so most of the time it takes at least two and sometimes three or more dollars to vac and use fragrance or shampoo. Not everyone that uses the vacs uses the bay also but most of them do so the charges would be combined so no additional processing fees.

MEP001

Reaction score
I think using it for $1.00 vacs would be a stretch to justify ROI.
I think if you factor in everything that it would be a very good investment. I'll probably put one on a combo vac and set it for $2 per swipe (Currently at $1 to start), since the time is different between the functions. I'm sure enough people will end up spending $1 more than they would have in quarters to offset most of the processing fees, and if they follow suit with the bays in their 25% more spent with credit card vs. cash the rest will be more than covered.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read the Cryptopay article in this month's Kleen Scene magazine.

Count-up CC washes average $5.81 in SS and average 1.2 swipes per wash. That's almost $7 avg per wash.

Combine the fact that cryptopay bundles the swipes to lower your fees and it makes sense.

Plus the young-uns do not carry much cash.

Plus there's an emotional disconnect with plastic that gets floks to spend more.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Count-up CC washes average $5.81 in SS and average 1.2 swipes per wash. That's almost $7 avg per wash.

I think most set a$10 limit so why would the CC average be less than $10 and still have more than one swipe average?

MEP001

Reaction score
Definitely raise the max limit if they're reaching it often. When I had it set at $10, I'd see customers run it until it shut off and then use cash because they thought that's all they could spend in one visit.

cwdsn

Reaction score
Read the Cryptopay article in this month's Kleen Scene magazine.

Combine the fact that cryptopay bundles the swipes to lower your fees and it makes sense.

Plus the young-uns do not carry much cash.

Plus there's an emotional disconnect with plastic that gets floks to spend more.
The $5.81 total is the total charge, including multiple swipes. The average varies a lot from one site to another and some regions are higher than others. Consolidation helps bring up the average, and having an automatic makes for a lot of high-dollar purchases (if you can call $7.00 a high-dollar purchase).

One effect I cannot explain is that cash sales have been reported to go up after swipers are installed. I think that customers prefer a wash that takes cards, but they will use cash if they have it, and only use the card if they are out of cash. That way they will never have to drive away after examining their wallet.

cwdsn

Reaction score
I think most set a$10 limit so why would the CC average be less than $10 and still have more than one swipe average?
The limit in the swiper is the maximum amount a customer can spend on one swipe. If something wrong happens, like someone drives away with the wash running in count-up, the damage will be limited to $10.00. But a customer will just swipe again if he wants more time.

Stuart

Reaction score
Having 2 carwashes I use WashCard. This works well with my own proprietary washcard my customers can purchase and use at either wash. They are a good tool for advertising, radio giveaways etc. The system is a bit expensive but my customers love it. I have the system tied into the SS, IBA and some vacs. Reports on CC sales and washcard sales are seperated between the profit points.

Sudsy

Snodgrass
Reaction score
We also have two washes with wash card 2 autos and 5 wand bays This is our 3 go round with Wash Card basically satisfied although note that when your auto goes down the wash card continues taking money. Nobody reads signs, has anyone else encountered this problem or have a fix the acw's are hamilton

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I too have WashCard in our SS and Autos and yes I would go with WashCard we are installing a Cryptopay system in another operators wash who didn't have the money to install washcard he just wanted to get credit cards accepted and that's all Cryptopay allows no fleet or specials or website eCommerce just a basic system.

Stuart

Reaction score
We also have two washes with wash card 2 autos and 5 wand bays This is our 3 go round with Wash Card basically satisfied although note that when your auto goes down the wash card continues taking money. Nobody reads signs, has anyone else encountered this problem or have a fix the acw's are hamilton
Is there a way to hook up a relay in the ACW that when the ACW shuts down the relay will power down the washcard control module? This way the card reader would turn off and display will go blank. This is what I did on my Auto cashier (it is not a Hamilton)