What's new

Which SS Bay Guns do you use?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Hey guys so I want to hear from everyone to see if I can fix an issue I have at one of my washes.

The problem: Customers are always breaking my guns either from the outlet fitting inside the gun or from the breakaway fitting installed in between the outlet fitting and the lance wand designed to protect the more expensive outlet fitting part.

I have changed the position of my holster in the bay to the middle of the bay so when racked the boom swings to the side/middle but what I am looking to fix or avert is the gun or breakaway fitting breaking when they drop the gun for whatever reason.

My setup is as follows:
1.) Gun: GUK600W
2.) Breakaway fitting: GU5068
3.) Lance wand: WTGMLY

I was thinking of switching to all GIANT guns KR#: PU21255 with stainless steel outlet fitting...my thinking was the the stainless fitting will be more robust and be harder to break vs. the brass ones in the KR gun and with the stainless I'm hoping to get away from your using the break away fitting.

What do you guys think or what have you guys had good luck with.

As always thanks for your input in advance!

DiamondWash

Reaction score
My setup and I haven't changed that setup for years:

1.) Gun: PU21255
2.) Wand: WTSRFBL
3.) Swivel at the bottom of Gun: SW7080

Randy

Reaction score
Gun Suttner SUT1500W
Flex Wand GGS15BL we make them in house
Swivel SW0260

MEP001

Reaction score
The stainless discharge fitting isn't much stronger than brass. Make sure the boom swings freely and ends up as close to the wall as possible. It's most likely people leaving or pulling through the bays hooking the hose with their mirror or bumper. I don't have more than a couple wands broken per year.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
My setup and I haven't changed that setup for years:

1.) Gun: PU21255
2.) Wand: WTSRFBL
3.) Swivel at the bottom of Gun: SW7080

Diamond on your Giant guns do you ever have any outlet fittings break from customers dropping them? Additionally, I notice you use the flex wands I was looking at those as well because I think the rigidness of the lance wands I use now is also causing them to break easier as well.

Rfreeman

Reaction score

OurTown your using the same gun I am now do have problems with customers breaking the outlet fitting? Even by accident? Your using the flex wand as well so I wonder if that provides some kind of shock absorption in the event the customers drop the gun on the bay floor?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
The stainless discharge fitting isn't much stronger than brass. Make sure the boom swings freely and ends up as close to the wall as possible. It's most likely people leaving or pulling through the bays hooking the hose with their mirror or bumper. I don't have more than a couple wands broken per year.

Man I was hoping the stainless would be a little more robust and harder to break. Yeah each month by guys remove the boom and apply grease to make sure that boom turns easily and it does maybe almost too easy. Before posting I also read on here about gun placement and making sure that boom swings as close to the bay wall as possible to avoid customers pulling through and catching the hose on their mirrors so I feel like I'm covered there. I wish I had a couple broken a year...I think I have a couple broken a week often times from what I can see is customers dropping them on the floor when they switch to foam brush, triple shine, or just finishing washing. Drives me nuts watching it on the cameras!

Mep do you think if I added a flex wand that would help?

Randy

Reaction score
Somethings wrong if your breaking a couple of guns a week. I can't remember when I last had a broken gun or wand. My booms are set so they will move back towards the gun holster of the bay when they aren't in use.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Somethings wrong if your breaking a couple of guns a week. I can't remember when I last had a broken gun or wand. My booms are set so they will move back towards the gun holster of the bay when they aren't in use.
Randy I agree 100% that's why I'm like please help! lol My booms do swivel back easily to the gun holster which has been moved (for some time now) to the center of the bay wall. I was hoping when I did this it would fix the problem but the more and more I sit and watch my cameras it looks like they are breaking from the customers dropping them on the ground therefore I was hoping switching to a gun with a stainless steel outlet fitting would help some and or maybe installing flex wands along with stainless outlet fitting would help. Luckily this is just at one wash my other wash I have had for 2 years and I think I had 1 broken so far.

MEP001

Reaction score
The stainless fitting is a little stronger, might be the answer to your problem since they're breaking the guns by dropping them.

I used to run a wash where customers didn't abuse stuff, there I used Giant 21295 guns because they're more comfortable to use even though the plastic is brittle and cracks if they're dropped. Never had a problem with that there. Now I use Adams 5030 because they're a softer plastic and I never have broken guns with them. I do sometimes find a broken wand but it's from people driving through the bays the wrong way. It usually breaks the wand off in the gun but maybe twice a year it breaks the discharge fitting.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Diamond on your Giant guns do you ever have any outlet fittings break from customers dropping them? Additionally, I notice you use the flex wands I was looking at those as well because I think the rigidness of the lance wands I use now is also causing them to break easier as well.
I have had only two outlet fittings break in 18 years, flex wands are a must don't use those spring style they are junk.

OurTown

Reaction score
OurTown your using the same gun I am now do have problems with customers breaking the outlet fitting? Even by accident? Your using the flex wand as well so I wonder if that provides some kind of shock absorption in the event the customers drop the gun on the bay floor?

We do not have problems with gun breakage. We use tip protectors also but I'm not sure how much that would prevent breakage.

soapy

Reaction score
I use NOrth American guns, they have the large dot on the side and grippy texture on the handle. I use flex wands and spring loaded gun holders. I probably only average may one broken fitting every 2 or 3 years.

Reaction score
On MEP's advice I switched to Adams from Giants and they last much longer. I think my guns get abused, personally, but rarely ever have wand pipes broken off. I dont use break aways and do have spring loaded floor mounted holders located close to the center of the bay

Etowah

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Do you have cameras in the bays? Might want to determine the cause of breaking. If it’s happening frequently you might find it‘s a construction vehicle with a ladder rack catching the hose, or someone with a trailer. Then figure out how to resolve it. I’d much rather have a wand or fitting break than someone pulling down or bending the boom because the wand didn’t give way.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Jeff

Yeah we have lorex cameras in each of the bays and around the property 16 in total. From what I have determined the majority of the guns are broken because customers are dropping them on the ground when they are washing their truck bed or just switching to foam brush or triple shine.....basically laziness they just drop the gun on the ground to go pick up the FB or TF! Then they wonder why the hoses get wrapped up bc they left the HP gun on the same side....WTH people! Put up and it gets out of the way!

Twodose

Reaction score
I would definitely use flex wands, its funny there are not bending the wands to be able to wash under the wheel wells, I don’t think there is much you can do to stop people from just throwing the guns on the ground when switching to the foam brush, after all they are worried about their money not yours.

toddmullens

Reaction score
I use to have issues with constantly breaking gun bodies. I switch to the cat heavy duty gun and haven’t broke one yet. Very impressed with it.