What's new

which is better belt or direct

cmawash

Reaction score
have run belt drives for a long time, looking at direct drive for pump/motor units. What are the pro and cons for such a set up,

MEP001

Reaction score
The only pro is saving space, and it's not much, none at all if you aren't replacing the stand to take advantage of that saved space. There are lots of cons, things are harder to work on, both the motors and the pumps are more expensive, and sometimes the pumps have shorter lives because they're running at 1800 RPM instead of 800. Use a good name-brand cog type B-width V belt and tighten them properly and they'll last about ten years.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
The overwhelming majority of pumpstands(98%+) we have sold over the last 14 years have been direct drive. The modern lovejoy couplings seem to hold up extremely well. I was very skeptical when we first starting designing it as I cut my teeth for over a decade on the belt drives but I'm sold on the direct drives.

MEP001

Reaction score
I didn't consider the Lovejoy coupler option, the C-face motors are still more expensive but they aren't nearly as high as hollow shaft motors or as hard to couple/decouple. I still don't see any pro to them other than a little space savings.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
It's a lot of space savings because of the flexibility of how the stand is designed. One of the biggest reasons people are telling us they want the direct drive is for space savings in old equipment rooms that were undersized to begin with. Functionally, I haven't seen a bit of reduction in reliability. We still build some belt drive systems(I just shipped a 5 bay today) and there really isn't any cost difference in motors that we see. All motors are ridiculously priced now a days. Motors in general aren't what they were even 15 years ago. The days of buying a 5hp Lincoln motor and having it last 25+ years are long gone.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I would think with Belt drive it's esier to vary Pully size t create somethinglike a "Superbay".

cmawash

Reaction score
thanks for the input we are redoing an older pump room we have decided to go with time proven components, belt drive, piston cup pumps, new stainless pump stands, wall mounted chemical tanks, space is important but being able to service the equipment, clean/over haul valves/ clean filters is very important. system being replaced is/was over 35 years old with a steel frame { rusting} and many mods done over the ears in service will now go by by. lots of choices are available now looking forward to completion of install

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I redid an old pump stand about 10 years ago. I used all Arimitsu pumps. With 4 outlets, instead of 2 like the Cat, plumbing is much easier and cleaner. It eliminates a lot of tees and adapters. Sometimes I cringe when I see the bulk of fittings hanging off the side of a pump, at the mercy of a brass nipple. The Arimitsu is also much quieter.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
have run belt drives for a long time, looking at direct drive for pump/motor units. What are the pro and cons for such a set up,
I have one location out of six that is direct drive. I hate it. If it were not for space constraints, I would’ve never installed a direct drive. Largest issue I have is vibration of the entire unit, constantly getting leaking fittings that need replacing. It’s also much louder than my belt drive units. Never have these issues on any of my belt driven units.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have one location out of six that is direct drive. I hate it. If it were not for space constraints, I would’ve never installed a direct drive. Largest issue I have is vibration of the entire unit, constantly getting leaking fittings that need replacing. It’s also much louder than my belt drive units. Never have these issues on any of my belt driven units.
Really?

I have a direct drive dual prep unit at my tunnel and the unit is so damn quiet I've wanted to go to direct drive at my self service site.

What motors/pumps are you running?

cmawash

Reaction score
for the remodel went with tried and true set up, main objective is the ability to service the units as we have multi locations, items chosen are cat 623 pumps slow pump speed,, have not had luck with plunger pumps when compared with cup pumps, 5 hp motors that are easily to replaced dual belt drive and easily accessible valves for chemical lines and filters Easly serviceable. Customers go ballistic when there is no soap or sfr and new control central cable routing for ease of trouble shooting